The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First time buying a business

corius

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Nov 16, 2016
Nebraska
A very promising opportunity has landed in my lap.

I have been lurking around in the forum for months now and I know I haven't added much value ( mostly because I have felt that I lack experience to add any). This post is being created because an opportunity has come up.

The only laundromat in my small town has come up for sale. After looking at the C.E.N.T.S it all looks almost perfect. Being very strong in control because, I will own the building and not being bound by a lease. The weakest will be scale until I have enough capital to explore business opportunities

Because of it being about 80 to 90 percent passive it will allow me to leave still have my day job so almost all the capital will be reinvested in the business or put towards other ventures

I have researched buying businesses online allot and I do have tons of questions for the seller when I meet this weekend. While Google has given me a lot of information, I realize that there are just way to much to look for and I will be stuck for years trying to read all of it.

My question is what are details that I need to look for?
What kind of hidden this has bitten people in the but?
What easily overlooked "little things" has caused bigger problems later on?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
I'd hardly call a laundromat passive. Someone has to collect the quarters, maintain the machines, mop the floor, refill the vending machines, etc. You can hire it out but it would be very hard to trust someone with the money part.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
What's the cost?
What are they doing for revenue?
What's the profit margin?
How long have they been in business?
What do you get with the purchase of the business?
What are the leasing fees / other monthly fees?
Fully staffed / turn-key, or do you need to hire out etc?
What are the logistics of running the company? (who picks up detergent, who does drying / folding, delivery services, pick up, keeps machines running, etc)
Are machines warrantied?
What's the cost of a machine?
What's their CAC / LTV of a customer?

Make them show you their cash flow statements, balance sheets, income statement.

Report back with your findings and we'll go from there.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
It can be a fun experience.

Some guys in my country started a laundromat and installed a bar, so people could drink and chat while their laundry was getting done. It was an instant success and could start the same formula in other cities. After a few years, they sold their company.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.