The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First startup I worked for now has 1.3mill in seed funding

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
This was my first experience at "starting something for the purpose of $", I'm actually no longer a part of it and I no longer talk with the CEO except for when I see him with friends of friends. My original vision for it compared to what ended up happening are mind blowingly different. I guess this is why they say execution is so important. Basically, two and a half steps into it, the entire plan had to be thrown out the window because it turned out someone else was really calling the shots when I thought I was. From there on out it was a nonstop battle.

I am very relieved to not be a part of it. Had no control and the funding would certainly further dilute the few shares I had. Essentially I would be working to make the investors rich while being met with the challenges that come with having no control(not even going to get into it right now). So glad to have learned from that experience. I know that you cannot buy your way to the execution of a business.

Just want to share this with the community - Remember, having control is very important. Hopefully this story helps someone in one way, shape, or form.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Destined

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Dec 12, 2011
This was my first experience at "starting something for the purpose of $", I'm actually no longer a part of it and I no longer talk with the CEO except for when I see him with friends of friends. My original vision for it compared to what ended up happening are mind blowingly different. I guess this is why they say execution is so important. Basically, two and a half steps into it, the entire plan had to be thrown out the window because it turned out someone else was really calling the shots when I thought I was. From there on out it was a nonstop battle.

I am very relieved to not be a part of it. Had no control and the funding would certainly further dilute the few shares I had. Essentially I would be working to make the investors rich while being met with the challenges that come with having no control(not even going to get into it right now). So glad to have learned from that experience. I know that you cannot buy your way to the execution of a business.

Just want to share this with the community - Remember, having control is very important. Hopefully this story helps someone in one way, shape, or form.

So basically, all of those people that worked with early start-ups (like:Fb, Twitter, Uber), they all were wasting their time? Not, all had control of those early start-ups. The process is what makes it all special. The details and daily transactions/activities is what makes it special. I do not know how old you are, but It would have been awesome...if i was in my 20's and was working for or with a start-up.

You do not need, full control to enjoy the experience and knowledge, that can be gained from such a venture!

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
So basically, all of those people that worked with early start-ups (like:Fb, Twitter, Uber), they all were wasting their time? Not, all had control of those early start-ups. The process is what makes it all special. The details and daily transactions/activities is what makes it special. I do not know how old you are, but It would have been awesome...if i was in my 20's and was working for or with a start-up.

You do not need, full control to enjoy the experience and knowledge, that can be gained from such a venture!
Yes I definitely got great experiences from it. No doubt about that, that's why I did it. The thing about those startups you mentioned.. They were all mind boggling successful. But when things are going the wrong way and you lack the power to get things on track, then frustration kicks in.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
Yes I definitely got great experiences from it. No doubt about that, that's why I did it. The thing about those startups you mentioned.. They were all mind boggling successful. But when things are going the wrong way and you lack the power to get things on track, then frustration kicks in.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

How do you define "wrong way", from your perspective or the companies? Did you try to understand what they were trying to accomplish with the startup?

Did they tell you were in charge? Did you tell them your vision for the startup? Why did they throwout the original plan for a new one?

From everything you have mentioned throughout this thread you seem very entitled. When you're part of a team its not all about you.

Just because you don't have control doesn't mean you just quit or give up. Maybe you could've looked at the situation from their perspective instead of thinking of only yourself.

Just like others have mentioned, you are learning all the wrong lessons from this experience. If I'm wrong about what I have said, please correct me...seriously, please do.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
imo you have a stigma against VC's that needs to go away. VC's don't just come in and gobble up shares, they provide you with resources that will enhance the chances of your success. you should consider the intangibles more but then again i only had a short experience with startups, and i mostly read about them.

check this out: http://startupclass.samaltman.com/

read the readings and watch the lecture videos.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
How do you define "wrong way", from your perspective or the companies? Did you try to understand what they were trying to accomplish with the startup?

Did they tell you were in charge? Did you tell them your vision for the startup? Why did they throwout the original plan for a new one?

From everything you have mentioned throughout this thread you seem very entitled. When you're part of a team its not all about you.

Just because you don't have control doesn't mean you just quit or give up. Maybe you could've looked at the situation from their perspective instead of thinking of only yourself.

Just like others have mentioned, you are learning all the wrong lessons from this experience. If I'm wrong about what I have said, please correct me...seriously, please do.

The only way to prove I'm right is to do bigger numbers. #'s always tell the story. I just sold off 4k from the stock market so will see how long it takes to get to 1.5 mil.

The answer to the rest of your story could be a novel, I can't express it in words short enough in a post. Even though its about the team, you need to look out after yourself at the end of the day. Especially when you are not getting any income, and other people on the team are (not through the startup). Not being able to know if you can pay rent a few months down the road is not fun at all.

imo you have a stigma against VC's that needs to go away. VC's don't just come in and gobble up shares, they provide you with resources that will enhance the chances of your success. you should consider the intangibles more but then again i only had a short experience with startups, and i mostly read about them.

check this out: http://startupclass.samaltman.com/

read the readings and watch the lecture videos.

i just reached out to my network letting ppl know im open to it. Filled out a form on one of those "find a investor" sites.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.