The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First production run, need advice

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Always get samples. If you can - go visit the factory too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
So I've been developing a product for the past few months, and I need some advice.

So the product is similar to what the manufacturer currently manufactures, I'm just asking them to make it from a more durable cloth and have specific dimensions. So they may need to special order the cloth for me.

So my question is: should I get a product sample first (only a couple pieces)? If they need to special order this cloth for me, do you think I should just outright buy 150 of the items or do manufacturers typically allow for the ordering of a couple pieces with specific special materials?

Always get a sample.

Also, talk to some more manufacturers.

I just did a simple fabric product with really high quality requests. I could have wasted time and had high MOQs with lots of random suppliers, but I went with the one who didn't even flinch when I stated the fabric that I wanted and all the additional requirements I had. Then I said I needed XXX units, which was half of their stated MOQ, and they didn't have a problem with that. Because they had it in stock.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
should I get a product sample first (only a couple pieces)?
ALWAYS get samples. Is the supplier overseas? if so, and you intend for longer higher batch quantity production runs, you should invest and go visit them. Any manufacturer will understand a sample request if not, then run the other way. (you do not want to do business with such types)
also, make sure you document somewhere and catalogue your communication regarding the sample type and the specifications of what you want exactly so that when the first batch happens, it goes smoothly with no issues no chance of f ups, because time is not on either parties side.

Feel free to pm if youd like more advise.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
So I've been developing a product for the past few months, and I need some advice.

So the product is similar to what the manufacturer currently manufactures, I'm just asking them to make it from a more durable cloth and have specific dimensions. So they may need to special order the cloth for me.

So my question is: should I get a product sample first (only a couple pieces)? If they need to special order this cloth for me, do you think I should just outright buy 300 of the items or do manufacturers typically allow for the ordering of a couple pieces with specific special materials?

Last edited:

James Cozens

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Oct 26, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Get a sample first!

I once bought like 200 of a custom-made clothing product without seeing the sample in person... turns out they didn't work out as I had hoped. Goodbye $400... not the most expensive mistake ever, but definitely a learning experience.

Get the sample. Once you're happy with the sample, THEN start moving quick!

Paladin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
379%
Oct 23, 2018
You definitely want to get a sample, as things are always different in person. Even if the manufacturer doesn't make a mistake, you might realize you want to make changes once you hold it in your hand.

You don't want to burn a ton of cash on something you regret.

Why did you choose this one factory? Did you do any price comparison? Are you able to visit in person?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
@YoungPadawan, You can see if they will supply you with a sample of their existing product together with a sample swatch of the fabric you want.

Although their existing product sample might be better than a production run, it could be sufficient to judge the workmanship.

Walter

Last edited:

YoungPadawan

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Thank you everyone for your answers. I appreciate it!

So I contacted one manufacturer for a quote on 300 pieces, and if the price per unit allows for enough profit, then I would request a sample of 2 pieces to make sure the design is correct. Once I determine that the design is correct, then I would go ahead with the 300 piece production round.

Is that sort of the regular process that you guys use?

Last edited:

YoungPadawan

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
You definitely want to get a sample, as things are always different in person. Even if the manufacturer doesn't make a mistake, you might realize you want to make changes once you hold it in your hand.

You don't want to burn a ton of cash on something you regret.

Why did you choose this one factory? Did you do any price comparison? Are you able to visit in person?
I chose this particular one because they had a certain part made of plastic that I needed and so I figured I might just use them. But I'll definitely do some checking around

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.