• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

First production run, need advice

Discussion in 'Product Creation, Inventing, Importing, Sourcing' started by YoungPadawan, Nov 27, 2018.

1. YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan Miles to go before I sleep Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $686
    So I've been developing a product for the past few months, and I need some advice.

So the product is similar to what the manufacturer currently manufactures, I'm just asking them to make it from a more durable cloth and have specific dimensions. So they may need to special order the cloth for me.

So my question is: should I get a product sample first (only a couple pieces)? If they need to special order this cloth for me, do you think I should just outright buy 300 of the items or do manufacturers typically allow for the ordering of a couple pieces with specific special materials?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Arun Siva and Timmy C like this.
  2. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $49,507
    Always get a sample.

Also, talk to some more manufacturers.

I just did a simple fabric product with really high quality requests. I could have wasted time and had high MOQs with lots of random suppliers, but I went with the one who didn't even flinch when I stated the fabric that I wanted and all the additional requirements I had. Then I said I needed XXX units, which was half of their stated MOQ, and they didn't have a problem with that. Because they had it in stock.

3. James Cozens

James Cozens Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $563
    Get a sample first!

I once bought like 200 of a custom-made clothing product without seeing the sample in person... turns out they didn't work out as I had hoped. Goodbye $400... not the most expensive mistake ever, but definitely a learning experience.

Get the sample. Once you're happy with the sample, THEN start moving quick!

Walter Hay and YoungPadawan like this.
  4. Sanj Modha

Sanj Modha Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,495
    Always get samples. If you can - go visit the factory too.

5. Arun Siva

Arun Siva aspiring 大君 of the bourgeoisie Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $13,709
    ALWAYS get samples. Is the supplier overseas? if so, and you intend for longer higher batch quantity production runs, you should invest and go visit them. Any manufacturer will understand a sample request if not, then run the other way. (you do not want to do business with such types)
    also, make sure you document somewhere and catalogue your communication regarding the sample type and the specifications of what you want exactly so that when the first batch happens, it goes smoothly with no issues no chance of f ups, because time is not on either parties side.

Feel free to pm if youd like more advise.

Walter Hay, Sheens and YoungPadawan like this.
  6. YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan Miles to go before I sleep Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $686
    Thank you everyone for your answers. I appreciate it!

So I contacted one manufacturer for a quote on 300 pieces, and if the price per unit allows for enough profit, then I would request a sample of 2 pieces to make sure the design is correct. Once I determine that the design is correct, then I would go ahead with the 300 piece production round.

Is that sort of the regular process that you guys use?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  7. Paladin

Paladin Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,366
    You definitely want to get a sample, as things are always different in person. Even if the manufacturer doesn't make a mistake, you might realize you want to make changes once you hold it in your hand.

You don't want to burn a ton of cash on something you regret.

Why did you choose this one factory? Did you do any price comparison? Are you able to visit in person?

Walter Hay and YoungPadawan like this.
  8. YoungPadawan

Rep Bank:
    $686
    I chose this particular one because they had a certain part made of plastic that I needed and so I figured I might just use them. But I'll definitely do some checking around

9. Walter Hay

Walter Hay Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $69,106
    @YoungPadawan, You can see if they will supply you with a sample of their existing product together with a sample swatch of the fabric you want.

Although their existing product sample might be better than a production run, it could be sufficient to judge the workmanship.

Walter

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    amp0193 and YoungPadawan like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.