The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First Biz Idea and Post- Any & All Feedback Appreciated!

Idea threads

Captain Ludd

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 21, 2013
Hey guys, this is my first post on the forums here and my brain has kind of been in overdrive since I read MJ's book, looking for opportunities and ideas. Anyhow, I came up with a rough concept for a website today, and wanted to hear some feedback from marketers.

I work for a small company selling a specialized kind of IT hardware, as well as maintenance and professional services for the gear. 99% of the gear we sell is used, and the margins can be really high. There are probably less than 10 companies in the country exclusively focused on the used market like we are, and we are definitely one of the leaders as far as web presence. In fact, we may be the only one with a dedicated marketing team putting out blogs, newsletters, and email campaigns.

But despite our highly google-ranked web site, in truth we mostly drop-ship hardware from bigger suppliers and tack on a 50% markup. We rely on our web presence to steer traffic to us, quote them, and then hope they don't go and shop around (and find our suppliers). And although our website is highly visible on google, its actually quite crap looks and ease of use-wise. I believe that I could improve on the copy and overall design significantly, given the right design partner.

So basically, my idea was to make a website advertising the gear, but not actually doing any order fulfillment. It would basically be a lead generation site for the suppliers. If my company (and several others) have been successful by selling gear that they don't actually have, why not make a site that advertises the same, but totally cut out the drop-shipping and logistics piece of the equation? If the site becomes visible enough, I could sell the incoming leads to the actual brokers, or create some margin split arrangement on any closed deals.

Thoughts? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stephen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2013
Hey Captain Ludd,

I just started posting on here as well. I really like where your mind is at, because you could easily make this a completely passive income stream. Theoretically, this sounds pretty good. The one thing to ask yourself is if you have signed a non-compete disclosure with your current company. These do not always hold up in court, but you do not want to go through the stress of finding out. Your mindset with this project is very in line with a company called 1-800-Ask Gary. It is a lawyer referral service. The guy literally set up a system where people call in and get referred to a lawyer in their area for their need. Such a simple thing, but the guy is a millionaire now. Either way, I think your brain is spinning in the right direction.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
So essentially you want to do some form of affiliate marketing? My question is, how are you going to control revenue?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.