The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding a Manufacturer

SeanyHang

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
May 24, 2013
New Jersey
Hey guys, I've dabbled in a few different aspects of creating businesses and have failed and learned quite a bit (with a few successes here and there).

One thing that I have not yet done is create a product and actually have it manufactured.

My family has had this little doohickey-prototype-invention for years now (made from an old kitty litter bucket) which is essentially a different take on a beach bucket. They've recently decided that they want to go ahead and get a few of their buckets manufactured to test the market (Beach Season is about to EXPLODE at the Jersey Shore) and have recruited me to do a little research for them.

My question to you guys is - Is there a better way to go about finding a manufacturer other than just typing "Plastic Manufacturers in Northern New Jersey" into google?

I don't necessarily mind going through all the listings and calling every manufacturer to see how they can help me through the process, but if there is an easier way or some search engine dedicated to finding established manufacturers in your area I'd obviously love to know about it.

Thanks guys,
Sean

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ikke

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 20, 2012
Netherlands
I think you are better of searching for the process that is needed. For example injection molding, vacuum molding, rotation molding etc.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
If the product is easy to make then maybe you should consider making it yourself and showing it to buyers to get their opinion of it. This may not actually be the right time to sell this product. I sell a BBQ accessory product and many of my buyer buy in the fall so they can be ready when the spring/summer time hits. It may already be too late for this season for your product but you should still show it off to buyers because they may still buy or at least give you an order for next season.

SeanyHang

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
May 24, 2013
New Jersey
I think you are better of searching for the process that is needed. For example injection molding, vacuum molding, rotation molding etc.
I genuinely didn't even know that there were major differences in terms of molding... a half hour after reading your comment I now have a basic understanding of 8 different types of processes and have determined that injection molding is indeed the route I need to go.

If the product is easy to make then maybe you should consider making it yourself and showing it to buyers to get their opinion of it. This may not actually be the right time to sell this product. I sell a BBQ accessory product and many of my buyer buy in the fall so they can be ready when the spring/summer time hits. It may already be too late for this season for your product but you should still show it off to buyers because they may still buy or at least give you an order for next season.
We've made a basic prototype of the bucket and have been asked where we purchased it.. Friends and family have always said that they loved it, but I told my immediate family to take the kind words with a grain of salt. I then brought the bucket to the state park nearest me (it has a huge lake/beach) to see if there would be any buzz or questions about it - and indeed there were. I unfortunately don't have the capability to produce it myself (in the form that I envision it being in) and want to produce a small quantity of the product to truly test the market (which I will do by hustling on the board walk). I agree that it may be too late to truly make enough sales to write home about about (depending on how long it will take to produce). BUT.. I suppose I shall find out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.