The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Financial Guru - Bill Ackman

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Ismails

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 7, 2019
Hey guys, I am just got interested about Hedge Fund Guy - Bill Ackman. I have watched a few videos about him in YouTube.
I don’t know. I think he is Maybe similar/equivalent to Peter Lynch.

Is it worthwhile listening to him for financial lessons ?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Boo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 6, 2018
He's one of the greatest hedge fund managers ever, but what are you trying to learn?

Unless you're interested in business valuations, which in theory is all investing in stock should be, probably there are better teachers. If you want somebody to explain the infinite ways of measuring intrinsic value and predicting compounded expected returns based on historical stock moves, sure, he's a great guy to listen to.

If you need a guy to teach you how to budget because you're surviving on ramen and collecting cans to save a few cents... probably not.

OP
OP
Ismails

Ismails

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 7, 2019
There is a documentary about him and herbal life "betting on zero". Unless you want to start a hedge fund, i wouldnt especially focus on him.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Ismails

Ismails

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 7, 2019
He's one of the greatest hedge fund managers ever, but what are you trying to learn?

Unless you're interested in business valuations, which in theory is all investing in stock should be, probably there are better teachers. If you want somebody to explain the infinite ways of measuring intrinsic value and predicting compounded expected returns based on historical stock moves, sure, he's a great guy to listen to.

If you need a guy to teach you how to budget because you're surviving on ramen and collecting cans to save a few cents... probably not.
Yes. I am mostly interested in learning about the Contrarian Investing method and Basic Business Valuation. Thanks a lot. I appreciate you.

Boo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 6, 2018
Yes. I am mostly interested in learning about the Contrarian Investing method and Basic Business Valuation. Thanks a lot. I appreciate you.
I could recommend reading:

One Up on Wallstreet by Lynch
Deep Value by Carlisle
Margin of Safety by Klarman
Anything published by AQR
Letters and comments from Einhorn and Michael Burry
Security Analysis by Graham
Letters and studies from Tweedy Browne

I would suggest going from top to bottom. This should give you a fairly decent understanding of valuation and the importance of a margin of safety. I recommend these specifically because the market is so bullish and anti-value, that the contrarian move right now is likely to focus on underlying value. Also, Einhorn and Burry have their famous mortgage bubble play that was extraordinarily contrarian.

Graham and Tweedy Browne reports are must-reads. AQR is legendary in the value world, despite taking a beating the last few years.

OP
OP
Ismails

Ismails

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 7, 2019
I could recommend reading:

One Up on Wallstreet by Lynch
Deep Value by Carlisle
Margin of Safety by Klarman
Anything published by AQR
Letters and comments from Einhorn and Michael Burry
Security Analysis by Graham
Letters and studies from Tweedy Browne

I would suggest going from top to bottom. This should give you a fairly decent understanding of valuation and the importance of a margin of safety. I recommend these specifically because the market is so bullish and anti-value, that the contrarian move right now is likely to focus on underlying value. Also, Einhorn and Burry have their famous mortgage bubble play that was extraordinarily contrarian.

Graham and Tweedy Browne reports are must-reads. AQR is legendary in the value world, despite taking a beating the last few years.
This is huge help. Thanks man. I appreciate you.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
There is a documentary about him and herbal life "betting on zero". Unless you want to start a hedge fund, i wouldnt especially focus on him.
That was a great show.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
Hey @Cruiser I just shot you a reply! Amazing product BTW!
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
I'm thinking about joining the program. How is it like joining from Asia (Japan specifically)...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Well, we made it halfway through the year. Don't know what the rest'll bring, but it's gonna be...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Not really a teaser but it does employ a fictional story, so that is similiar. This upcoming...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom