• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Progress Thread Finally Launched!

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by businessbaybee, Sep 27, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. businessbaybee

businessbaybee Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,104
    Hey everyone! Last night I FINALLY launched my online clothing store after working on it since early February 2017. I am super excited and relieved! It has been pretty challenging finding time to work on everything with my full time job.

Anyway, I do know that I have a great looking site and product, but I am just so nervous about the marketing aspect. I have no real idea on how to get sales, except maybe Facebook and instagram ads. So at the moment I have zero sales, but I haven't started Facebook ads yet.

I feel like this is the hardest part for me right now. Creating everything was really fun, but now I am scared that this won't go as well as I hope it will.

I think my next steps are building up all my social media, and just working on improving it everyday.

Wish me luck! Thanks for reading!

Xeon, Diracdelta, Roulf and 16 others like this.
  2. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $791
    Congrats! What's your value add/usp?

Also, could you link the url?

3. Waspy

Waspy Float like a butterfly Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,797
    You have 100% just reached the hardest part. That first sale. Don't get disheartened.

Test, improve, repeat. You will get it.

Xeon, ZCP, Roulf and 3 others like this.
  4. businessbaybee

businessbaybee Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,104
    I design graphic tees, and other products that are colorful, funny, and geared towards young women. I see a lot of graphic tee companies, but I haven't seen one that was super feminine. Hopefully that is enough value for a sale.

Not sure if it's against the rules, but sure, it's www.pastelqueen.com don't be too hard on me :)

Xeon, fubar, Diracdelta and 13 others like this.
  5. businessbaybee

Rep Bank:
    $1,104
    Thank you so much! Just needed some motivation :)

Roulf, Greg Rutkowski and ThirtyOne like this.
  6. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $791
    I landed on your page and immediately thought the brand was unique and visually appealling. Pastel Queen is a great name and I dig the logo. Very cool.

In fact, I think your greatest asset is your Trademark (brand); but it goes under used in your product. I'd tout "Pastel Queen" somewhere on all your merch.

In addition to what you have on your site, I'd offer some "Pastel Queen" only stuff. No fun phrases. Or if there is, let it take a backseat to the brand, instead of what you have now—brand taking backseat to phrase, or not even getting a ride at all.

Your iridescent stuff is the most unique, btw. You might consider using that frequently in your packaging/clothing/online stuff to try to own it via trade dress. This is similar to the way Netflix owns Red in the streaming space or how Coke owns that iconic glass bottle shape they have. They now have power to protect it. Full disclosure: I'm not a lawyer, so you'll have to verify specifics about trade dress with a qualified IP attorney.

Xeon, ZF Lee, Aaron T and 4 others like this.
  7. businessbaybee

Rep Bank:
    $1,104
    Thank you so much for your kind words, so glad you like it!

You have given me so much to think about that I have not yet considered. For instance, using my logo on a lot of the different products is a really cool idea. I wasn't sure if people would want it, since nobody knows who I am yet, but now that you say it, I will definitely create a collection on my site with all Pastel Queen branded stuff and see how that sells in addition to my funny slogan stuff.

It also didn't occur to me that my iridescent graphics were helping to create my brand, I think being known for that would be so cool. I will use a lot more of that, especially in my social media accounts. Thanks again for your assestment, super appreciated!

Greg Rutkowski and ZF Lee like this.
  8. Philip Marlowe

Philip Marlowe Every Day On, No Days Off Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $603
    Very nice website. I've definitely seen some questionable eCom sites and that one looks good - wouldn't feel concerned at all about buying a product/providing my information there.

Can I ask where you found the models for your pictures? I've heard Model Mayhem is good. I assume those are not generic photos from a supplier but rather a photo shoot you put together with your product?

Xeon, Greg Rutkowski, ZF Lee and 2 others like this.
  9. Charnell

Charnell Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,554
    Your branding is on point. As soon as I saw your horror themed merchandise I instantly thought of a girl I know that would be all over it. Perfect for Halloween being right around the corner.

10. businessbaybee

Rep Bank:
    $1,104
    Awesome, that's great news!

When you say models do you mean for the leggings, or the main photo? The main photo is a purchased commercial stock photo that I edited. And the other photos are mockups from my supplier that have my graphics on them. I don't have any models yet. But I definitely want to do that in the future when I have more money and time. Thanks for your input!

11. businessbaybee

Rep Bank:
    $1,104
    Haha thanks so much! I love Halloween and horror everything, and now is definitely a good time for it. And be sure to let your friend know! :)

Greg Rutkowski likes this.
  12. ThirtyOne

Rep Bank:
    $791
    I didn't originally go through the whole site, just the landing page tbh. Sorry for my premature assessment. I'm embarrassed.

After looking more deeply, I see your brand is going to be able to sell some popular trendy stuff, and then your own branded stuff...so maybe everything doesn't need your logo on it...just the Pastel Queen original stuff or whatever.

I'd be interested in a progress thread to see what sells more and how this goes! Good luck.

Xeon and businessbaybee like this.
  13. TL75

TL75 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $136
    Well done and good Luck :smile2:

businessbaybee likes this.
  14. cmor16

cmor16 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,012
    I think that would be a great step towards building the brand and separating yourself from the pack. I love the website and the gear, although I am a middle-aged man and not a teenage girl, so take it for what it's worth.

15. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $40,045
    Sales is the hardest part period. Not just now, but always.

It's also the most important part.

Great Product + Poor Sales Strategy = Failure
    Poor Product + Great Sales Strategy = Success

You have a Great Product. Now you have to figure out how to create a Great Sales Strategy. You're 5% of the way there. A lot of people think it's 50% product and 50% sales, but it's not. With a commoditized product like clothing, it's at least 95% sales. And I'm not saying this to discourage you, but to make you aware of how much work is ahead of you so that you don't get discouraged when you don't have instant success.

There are people on this forum that have successfully built clothing brands. @Vick comes to mind. He isn't clothing per se, but sunglasses. However, you can learn a lot from his progress thread (it might be on the inside). I'm sure there's other threads on here too.

At this point, you need to start testing different marketing/sales strategies and figure out which one you're best at and which one gets the most traction. Some strategies off the top of my head:
    • Influencer marketing
    • Social media organic growth
    • Trade shows
    • Creating a lookbook and going after wholesale
    • Facebook Ads
    There's a ton more, but you just have to pick one and start.

You're in one of the most competitive spaces there is. No barrier to entry. Lots of glamour (hence lots of competition). And lots of money to be made (hence even more competition).

This doesn't mean it's a bad thing, just a lot harder than any other business.

You have an uphill battle. Luckily you have a great looking product so it'll be a bit easier. But still - an uphill battle. You need to prepare yourself, make a plan, and then put in the work to figure things out.

Best of luck.

Xeon, Argue, ZCP and 10 others like this.
  16. OmarLopez

OmarLopez New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $114
    Your page looks awesome!

I think your About Us page could have better copy, specially the title which I found repetitive.

It would help you build a brand to post a picture of you wearing your own merchandise in this part!

Also, you could give away some outfits from your most iconic (aka colorful) selections to your female friends and family in exchange of posting pictures of themselves modeling them on instagram and then linking them to your site.

Just keep learning from other stores that are getting sales. One I read before was this:

How to Start a Clothing Line & Turn it To a Multi-Million Dollar Company

17. RogueInnovation

RogueInnovation Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,770
    Sales is like aircraft wings
    You need low pressure and high pressure
    Low pressure as in - outreach (knowing customer, meeting them, having a presence in environments where millenial women are *give a few instagram girls a discount and have them show the pastel queen logo on what you discounted*)
    High pressure as in - the pitch (all those coming to you cuz they saw it wanna know why your brand is the one to get rather than just use your ideas and find a cheaper place to buy it... are you about choice, convenience, uniqueness, creativity?)

Try to get a bunch of millenial eyeballs on it
    And maybe set up a few package deals or "feature" items to see if you can control and drive sales
    Your price rance is flat footed, you have no way of knowing who you are cutting out of your sales segment, you need to have at least a little difference in some products in order to know which prices or packages sell best.
    Also, maybe discount to some semi popular fashion bloggers; youtube, wordpress, etc
    Promo codes could help you do this, and help you get bloggers to sell for you to their audience

Striver, Puppy and businessbaybee like this.
  18. businessbaybee

Rep Bank:
    $1,104
    Great thank you!

19. businessbaybee

Rep Bank:
    $1,104
    Thank you for all your tips, especially the wholesale lookbook idea is really great . You have given me a ton to think about. I am really determined to have a successful business.

I will continue to try literally every advertising avenue out there.

Also, I will take a look at Vick's progress thread. Thanks!!

AgainstAllOdds likes this.
  20. businessbaybee

Rep Bank:
    $1,104
    Ohhh the pitch idea is really cool. I need to come up with one, I'll probably do a lot of googling and reading about how to do that.

I actually just gave out my first discount to a girl on instagram, who saw my site and loved it so much she made a video blasting it to her followers. I didn't ask her to either, so she seems like she would be a great customer to have! Thanks again!

RogueInnovation likes this.
  21. JAJT

JAJT Ha Ha! Business Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,455
    I agree. It looks like the female version of oil-slick patterns you see all the time on knives and other "guy" products.

Super nice looking hero image when you first land on the site.

I'd personally like to see all products displayed on a model as either the primary or secondary "hover over" image though. Your leggings shots being a good example of that. Even better if you can get a "cute" action shot as well. Clearly a LOT of work to do this simple thing though - but I think it will pay back dividends in conversion.

Good job!!!

ZF Lee and businessbaybee like this.
  22. businessbaybee

Rep Bank:
    $1,104
    Thanks! I would also LOVE to have models as well, definitely something for me to work on!

I'm hoping to get lots of people on instgram promoting my stuff, so that might be an easy way to get some more product shots.

23. Laughingman21

Laughingman21 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $511
    Could you get a wannabe model to model your stuff. They'd get to be the "face of Pastel Queen" and you get a model for your products. A win win stuation.

It'd be even better if you find someone with a large social media following so they can post the pictures when they're done.

Puppy likes this.
  24. JAJT

JAJT Ha Ha! Business Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,455
    Maybe I missed it but are these print on demand designs or do you own inventory?

25. businessbaybee

Rep Bank:
    $1,104
    Print on demand, honestly I was literally in awe that a service like this exists.

Currently I work full time as an apparel designer at a large sports company, so when I saw that I can do the same thing without inventory I jumped on it.

It's crazy to hear about how much of my designs sell for the company I work for, I was kind of like, ummm I'd rather have it for myself.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    sparechange, Xeon, Striver and 8 others like this.