The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finally a Fastlaner

Scott Curry

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jun 5, 2021
Hi all. I've had many unsuccessful businesses prior to my most recent venture. I've done MLMs (4 different ones I think?), retail clothing sales, retail jewelry sales, freelance web development, motivational speaking, you name it.

Then on January 3rd, 2021, I started a YouTube channel that took off. 5 months later, I have 37,500 subscribers and growing. I make $8,000 to $12,000 per month from a combination of ad revenue, affiliate links, and sponsorships.

I quit my job in April, and now I'm running my YouTube channel full time, even though I'm still not making as much money as I made at my job. I just decided to take a leap of faith and go for it.

So now I'm here, hoping to get some ideas on how to get that income up to $100,000 per month. I'm also thinking about starting a new website using my web development skills. People I've talked to about the website think it's a great idea. Just not sure if taking time away from my YouTube channel to start the website is the right thing to do right now.

@MJ DeMarco

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Scott Curry

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jun 5, 2021
I think you are allowed if you are not self promoting or trying to sell.
Ok. Rather than posting my YouTube channel (apparently that's a big no-no), I'll just post my personal website so that people can read about me. Might help you answer some of my questions. I have info on both some of my dead end business ventures, as well as my successful one. www.ScottCurry.me

Beebop27

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 22, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi all. I've had many unsuccessful businesses prior to my most recent venture. I've done MLMs (4 different ones I think?), retail clothing sales, retail jewelry sales, freelance web development, motivational speaking, you name it.

Then on January 3rd, 2021, I started a YouTube channel that took off. 5 months later, I have 37,500 subscribers and growing. I make $8,000 to $12,000 per month from a combination of ad revenue, affiliate links, and sponsorships.

I quit my job in April, and now I'm running my YouTube channel full time, even though I'm still not making as much money as I made at my job. I just decided to take a leak of faith and go for it.

So now I'm here, hoping to get some ideas on how to get that income up to $100,000 per month. I'm also thinking about starting a new website using my web development skills. People I've talked to about the website think it's a great idea. Just not sure if taking time away from my YouTube channel to start the website is the right thing to do right now.

@MJ DeMarco
Congratulations! Can you send the link to your channel?

As for ideas.. perhaps you can utilise your subscriber amount to turn into a sale somehow via your channel niche?

Scott Curry

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jun 5, 2021
Congratulations! Can you send the link to your channel?

As for ideas.. perhaps you can utilise your subscriber amount to turn into a sale somehow via your channel niche?
Thanks for the reply! I'm new here; not sure if I'm allowed to post a link.

I already sell A LOT on my channel (affiliate links). Are you thinking a product or service of some kind?

Beebop27

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 22, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for the reply! I'm new here; not sure if I'm allowed to post a link.

I already sell A LOT on my channel (affiliate links). Are you thinking a product or service of some kind?
Ah ok, yeah im not sure re. link rules.

As for a product / service... Im thinking both. Just breaking it down to numbers. Well.. this would be my approach.. (and I dont know if its the right one), but I would work out how much more income I want to generate.. say 20k a month.

Assume you can get a 10% conversion rate from your 37.5k subs, so thats like 3,750 people.

Divide that by $20k, so that would mean to make an extra 20k a month, you need 10% of your audience giving you $5.30 a month, or $1.30 a week, or $64 a year, $34 for 6 months.

This is so feasible and do-able.

From here, ideas would generate for me big time, depending on the niche. What problem can I solve for $1.30 a week, or what problem or value could I add to someones life, that they would part with $34 for 6 months?

hexelbyte

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
May 31, 2021
Houston, TX
There's one thing I would like to mention.

Working with Youtube is like working with Paypal.
At any moment they can shut you down in a hearbeat without any warning.

I have seen youtube channels gone just from a sudden copyright strike.
I personally et al got screwed by Paypal from their limited account disabling and stealing money after 180 days.

If there's one thing that @MJ DeMarco and CENTS has opened my eyes is the Control aspect.

I don't want to sound negative, just a realist.
Good luck and congrats on the journey!

Scott Curry

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jun 5, 2021
There's one thing I would like to mention.

Working with Youtube is like working with Paypal.
At any moment they can shut you down in a hearbeat without any warning.

I have seen youtube channels gone just from a sudden copyright strike.
I personally et al got screwed by Paypal from their limited account disabling and stealing money after 180 days.

If there's one thing that @MJ DeMarco and CENTS has opened my eyes is the Control aspect.

I don't want to sound negative, just a realist.
Good luck and congrats on the journey!
You bring up a great point, which is why I'm also working to build my Twitter and Facebook following. I'm cross-posting my videos on Facebook, and working on meeting their monetization requirements. I also started a Facebook group to expand my reach as well.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...