The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Figuring Out YouTube

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
Good stuff.

Post toTikTok too?
I've not touched TikTok yet and still trying to wrap my head around facebook. I probably need some help from my grandson.

The YT short started pulling views about 30 minutes after posting and is now around 900. It's a bit like the other day when nothing happened for the first 40 minutes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've not posted any short videos for 5 days.

The latest video on TikTok is still getting 500-1,000 views a day. I think it might even be accelerating slightly. It's hard to tell.

A reminder:
  • It's 13s.
  • It's a story.
  • It finishes with a lesson.
  • It mentions Google Ads but isn't about Google Ads.
  • It finishes abruptly.
  • I posted it as a text story to Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook over a year ago and it got more reactions than normal for me.

YouTube Stats for the video:

When it stops it stops!

YT Views.jpg

YT Retention.jpg

TikTok Stats:

I can't find a viewer graph per video, but this is the only video getting views the last few days.

So 4k views the first day, then a couple of days with about 500 views, then a couple of days of about 1k views.

TT Views.jpg

TT Retention.jpg

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I've not posted any short videos for 5 days.

The latest video on TikTok is still getting 1k views a day. I think it might even be accelerating slightly. It's hard to tell.

A reminder:
  • It's 13s.
  • It's a story.
  • It finishes with a lesson.
  • It mentions Google Ads but isn't about Google Ads.
  • It finishes abruptly.
  • I posted it as a text story to Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook over a year ago and it got more reactions than normal for me.

YouTube Stats for the video:

View attachment 45255

View attachment 45256

TikTok Stats:

I can't find a viewer graph per video, but this is the only video getting views the last few days.

So 4k views the first day, then a couple of days with maybe 500 views, then a couple of days of 1k views.

View attachment 45257

View attachment 45258
This is exactly why I think posting a ton of videos is a great idea. Sometimes I'll post a video and 4 months later something happens with the algorithm and it blows up. More = more chances of that happening = more viewers

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This is exactly why I think posting a ton of videos is a great idea. Sometimes I'll post a video and 4 months later something happens with the algorithm and it blows up. More = more chances of that happening = more viewers
I think it also shows the value in creating better videos.

One good video a week will likely beat seven average videos a week.

But how do we get better at creating one good video a week?

Post seven times a week!

EDIT: I just tweeted that...

Screenshot_20220925-130719_Twitter.jpg

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
I've just posted YouTube Short No2.
It only took 22 minutes from start to finish. Hopefully I can bring that down with some practice but I don't mind taking 2o minutes to make a 45 second video.

20 minutes after upload it's had 1 view (mine). Fingers crossed it picks up.
Scripting and batching save a ton of time. An hour to film 10-20 shorts isn't uncommon. Editing/posting is another story but if you make more than $100/hr don't waste your time just outsource it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm back!

This one is longer and I don't expect it to do as well as the last one, but it's a story, something I preach all the time, and something I'll want to link people to going forward.

It was pretty easy to do.
  • It's a story I've recounted lots of times.
  • The longest part was writing the script.
  • Then I loaded it into my teleprompter, set the camera on a wee stand (it's maybe a bit low?), and then read it.
  • I pretty much read it in one go, with only a few re-reads of sentences.
  • Edit, caption, distribute to TT, YT, LI, and FB.
  • I've still not figured out FB and IG Reels.

EDIT: Posted it at about 2:25pm as I dashed out the door to get the kids from school.

90 minutes later:
  • TikTok = 734 views, 26 likes, and 3 saves.
  • YouTube Shorts = 4 views.
  • LinkedIn = 79 impr, 1 Like and 1 share.
  • Facebook Page = 1 like and 1 share/tag.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/zblktvG2j8k

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yes.

I use a software called INSSIST to do so.

I pay $8/month for it
This is why Facebook and Snapchat will lose. They don't make it easy for creators to upload and share content.

I even tried to link to a funny video on Facebook into the forum and instead of the video being viewable it shows the "Facebook Login" message. TikTok and YouTube *want* people sharing content on their platform all over the place. Facebook wants a walled garden. Feck 'em.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I recorded 12 short tips from Blaise Brosnan and published 4 tips in a 30s video, and then a couple more as standalone.

They tanked on TikTok and YouTube Shorts, but did OK on LinkedIn (where I've more followers and where the text is also posted).

I've been travelling and too busy with client work to do any videos this week. That's OK. It's been interesting to observe how videos do on their own.

It looks to me like videos live and die on their own on TikTok and YouTube Shorts - which is refreshing and encouraging. The answer is to create more appealing videos, rather than be on a content treadmill.

Someone replied to one of my TikToks saying they liked it and asking for me to elaborate. I suspect I'm making the videos too short so there's not enough context, personal story, or takeaways people can apply.

I think my latest 3 short videos are like the "true but so what" tweets that I'm tired of seeing on Twitter. I'm toying with the idea of doing unscripted videos too now. Have bullet points and let rip.

I'm also toying with the idea of doing 5-10 minute videos on a certain topic and then extracting sections. And also revisiting extracting sections from my longer chats but not where it takes 2 hours to get 5 minutes.

TikTok:
  • The 3 latest videos are back to the 200-300 view range.
  • The previous 3 videos were 1k+ views.
  • My theory is that they 3 with more views are stories, and related to sales/marketing.
  • The 3 latest ones are some of my favourite Blaise Brosnan quotes, but maybe I shouldn't start with the quote, and maybe folks are more interested in sales than "business".
1665008527655.png

YouTube:
  • Those last 3 videos performed even worse on YouTube shorts.
1665008940525.png

LinkedIn:
  • However, when I published the "12 Business Tips from Blaise Brosnan (Part 1)" where I've 11k+ first connections it did reasonably well compared to other recent videos.
  • I even tagged Blaise and he came and replied.
1665009092987.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@mikecarlooch ... After our chat for your podcast a couple of days ago you mentioned being interested in a course on how I "sell without selling". Do you have any questions that I could try and answer by video?

@xShepherdx ... Likewise. What were your key takeaways from our chat that you think could make good little videos? Or do you have any questions after we had our chat?

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
@mikecarlooch ... After our chat for your podcast a couple of days ago you mentioned being interested in a course on how I "sell without selling". Do you have any questions that I could try and answer by video?

@xShepherdx ... Likewise. What were your key takeaways from our chat that you think could make good little videos? Or do you have any questions after we had our chat?
I could go on and on forever with questions which I Will I’m going to type a ton for you when I get home

Idea: a lot of the questions I asked in the podcast are related , maybe take those and use them too?

Yes I’m interested in a course on this !

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ha. This is so cool.

Someone connected with me on LinkedIn because they saw me on LinkedIn and recognise me from the forum.

Notice how I keep conversations going? Hand the mic back to them.

Turns out Josh is doing pretty good on TikTok with an account of over 50k followers. He's given me some good advice, notably to not overthink it, and to hop on the app itself and answer questions via video. Doh... why didn't I think of just using the app itself?

2022-10-06_09-10-53.jpg

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
I think my latest 3 short videos are like the "true but so what" tweets that I'm tired of seeing on Twitter.
As someone said in a recent YouTube short "Show Don't Tell".

Seriously though I hadn't thought about the difference that using a story to make the point in a short could have. This drives it home nicely.

I released a 9-minute video last night reviewing a new software launch. So far it's received almost 2k views in 10 hours (a lot for me) and it looks to have around 60% retention. I knew that it would do well because people are looking for review videos as soon as new software launches.

And that makes me wonder if you could capitalise on trends. There are a lot of business principles that apply to life in general or the economy. Tools like Tube Buddy let you see what's trending on YouTube. Shorts are then an ideal tool to get a quick message out that ties into the trend to make a valid or useful point.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
On being a "responder" in the forum:

I mentioned in the LinkedIn convo posted above that I'm a responder trying to figure out how to publish content.

In my travels on the forum I see people struggling with something, drop a few lines, and move on. Over time I create a thread to point people to whenever I see someone struggling with the same problem.

That's still me responding though. I see someone struggling with a problem and respond by linking them to a thread (solution) I've pre-created.

Me publishing that "solution" thread as a video misses the context. It's not helping people I see with the problem.

Maybe I start with "If you're <struggling with X problem> then <give solution>".

Hooks are wrecking my head:

The interesting thing about consuming for a while is how annoying and the same a lot of content gets when everyone copies everyone else.

I know this isn't a "hook" but I insta-swipe up whenever someone starts a video with:

"I don't know who needs to hear this but ..."

I'll make a note of other intros that turn me off.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Seriously though I hadn't thought about the difference that using a story to make the point in a short could have. This drives it home nicely.
Yeah, stories can engage and teach at the same time. Also, stories are personal. Tell the story, in your way, and it's original content. Stories are super powerful.

Hence me starting a chat thread here:

Also, I love how the "failures" just help us learn what not to do, and give pointers about what to do instead.

I released a 9-minute video last night reviewing a new software launch. So far it's received almost 2k views in 10 hours (a lot for me) and it looks to have around 60% retention. I knew that it would do well because people are looking for review videos as soon as new software launches.

And that makes me wonder if you could capitalise on trends. There are a lot of business principles that apply to life in general or the economy. Tools like Tube Buddy let you see what's trending on YouTube. Shorts are then an ideal tool to get a quick message out that ties into the trend to make a valid or useful point.
100%. One of the reasons I want to create and distribute videos myself rather than delegate to a team is so I can be faster and react to trending videos and/or topics. If I can knock up a video and publish in 15 minutes then that's a competitive advantage.

Hmmm... which points towards me being able to produce and publish from my phone instead of my current process of recording on my phone, uploading to my PC, editing with Descript, then publishing from my PC.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
Hence me starting a chat thread here
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this and have added it to my watch list. There is power in using a story telling this approach for a lot of things.

Hmmm... which points towards me being able to produce and publish from my phone instead of my current process of uploading to my PC, editing with Descript, then publishing from my PC.
Perhaps it's worth testing the two approaches. I find watching the text whilst listening to your shorts engaging. It may be worth the additional investment in time but it's always worth trying to streamline processes.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I find watching the text whilst listening to your shorts engaging. It may be worth the additional investment in time but it's always worth trying to streamline processes.
I think TikTok or some other mobile apps can add automated captions.

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
Lots of good stuff, but 90% of it was your mindset.

That said, here were my biggest takeaways:

#1: Put the exact search term that someone typed into Google at the top of your page.

Your "Plummers in Dublin" example was very illuminating and I've seen sales increase as a result of implementing this. I owe you a coffee/beer next time I'm in Ireland!

Covering this in a TikTok-style video would be fairly easy and high-value IMO.

#2: Your approach to Google ads

The few google ads videos I watched were so long-winded, complicated, and boring that I just couldn't get any value out of them. And, when I did, the tiny bit of information I did need (but often didn't know I needed) is buried 45 mins in.

Your approach to ad groups is a good example of this. I would have never looked for that information, but now that I have it I feel much more prepared. And it only took a few minutes for me to get the big picture.

Quick, actionable videos would be helpful for anyone who knows the basics, but still feels like they're "missing something".

#3: Focusing on the behavioral intent of the person/user

For a long time, I was a noob focused soley on clicks and numbers. But since our chat, the "these aren't clicks, they're real people" lesson finally clicked.

Since then, I've been working to revamp my site and advertising to focus more on people, not clicks. It's a small shift, but it's been a big help so far. You could probably do a series of videos on this topic.

I'm not on social media so I'm not sure what your competition is doing, but based on our chat, I think those are the areas where you could offer a lot of value.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

That said, here were my biggest takeaways:

#1: Put the exact search term that someone typed into Google at the top of your page.

Your "Plummers in Dublin" example was very illuminating and I've seen sales increase as a result of implementing this. I owe you a coffee/beer next time I'm in Ireland!

Covering this in a TikTok-style video would be fairly easy and high-value IMO.

#2: Your approach to Google ads

The few google ads videos I watched were so long-winded, complicated, and boring that I just couldn't get any value out of them. And, when I did, the tiny bit of information I did need (but often didn't know I needed) is buried 45 mins in.

Your approach to ad groups is a good example of this. I would have never looked for that information, but now that I have it I feel much more prepared. And it only took a few minutes for me to get the big picture.

Quick, actionable videos would be helpful for anyone who knows the basics, but still feels like they're "missing something".

#3: Focusing on the behavioral intent of the person/user

For a long time, I was a noob focused soley on clicks and numbers. But since our chat, the "these aren't clicks, they're real people" lesson finally clicked.

Since then, I've been working to revamp my site and advertising to focus more on people, not clicks. It's a small shift, but it's been a big help so far. You could probably do a series of videos on this topic.

I'm not on social media so I'm not sure what your competition is doing, but based on our chat, I think those are the areas where you could offer a lot of value.
Oh, that's super interesting. I forgot we'd chatted about your Google Ads account after our recorded chat. You got aha moments in the chat about being a marketing service provider as well as the Google Ads stuff. My gut tells me more people would be interested in the former.

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
Oh, that's super interesting. I forgot we'd chatted about your Google Ads account after our recorded chat. You got aha moments in the chat about being a marketing service provider as well as the Google Ads stuff. My gut tells me more people would be interested in the former.
Talking about your experience being a marketing service provider was where the mindset stuff came in.

Seeing that you cared, were knowledgeable, and could do the job at a high level was important. And the way you showed it was impressive.

The process made me realize "oh, this is what I wish those other people had done/been like".

However, the approach was of limited use to me though because I'm not a marketing service provider, so my notes were heavy on the other more tactical stuff that I could implement myself.

I think @thomashoi summed it up really well in their response to your "A Chat About Selling Marketing Services" thread as well.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hold on. I missed this part. Did you mean 90% of your insights/takeaways from the Google Ads part of our call was related to my mindset? If so, how was I thinking different from you, and what changed for you after?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
1) Someone share this which was quite interesting (it's translated into English):
TikTok i Reels su najbitniji za biznis u 2022 godini i napisao sam ultimativni vodič | Istok Pavlović

2) I had a look at TikTok Ads and the lowest budget is €10/day. That's pretty off-putting when Google/YouTube Ads can have a budget of whatever you want.

3) I've not posted a video in a while due to the eye infection. About to start up again and guess what? I seem to be getting an eye infection in the other eye now.

4) I tried recording a video in the TikTok app yesterday but the sound and video was out of synch. Maybe I should try again.

TikTok looks like a fun app to use. I'd like to see if I can create videos more natively.

View: https://youtu.be/TnlgUDm4Cj0

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
I've just had a YouTube learning that may be helpful to share. This isn't about YouTube directly but Spring.

Spring is one of the integrations allowed by YouTube so that creators can sell digital products. A few weeks back I thought that I would try it out so set up an account and loaded some of my books.

My initial impressions were that it was OK. The interface seemed a little too simple though, and some features only seemed to be enabled after making a sale. They also charge 20% of each sale which I consider quite steep.

I've now been contacted by a couple of customers saying that they purchased books but didn't get them. They had also contacted Spring but have not had any reply. This was worrying.

That's when I tried to investigate the problem using the Spring admin dashboard and realised a big problem. Whilst I can see sales, I have no way to identify the customer and can't see the customer's details. I have no way to contact my customers in the future. Effectively Spring is treating my customers as their own. Had they been acting as a Merchant of Record and paying my digital taxes I could have accepted this, but they aren't.

Fortunately, I'd only made around 50 sales through them before I realised this. I've just turned off the shop on YouTube and withdrawn my funds, although for some reason it takes them 10 days to send me my own money by PayPal.

If you've had a good experience using Spring on YouTube I'd be interested to hear.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
An IT techie consultant friend just created a YouTube channel and is going to start uploading videos.

I braindumped the following advice for him:

Tutorial style is probably the best to start with. And using VidIQ or other tools to find out what are high search volume searches on YouTube to get in front of those searches. I'd also look at the Google Keyword Planner because the video (or chapters in the video) might get shown on Google too.

I use Camtasia for screen-recording and then editing those screen-recordings.

There's other, cloud-based, tools that can do screen-recording and editing too.

How I use YouTube at the moment is a repository of videos that I can link people to before or after I've spoken to them.

So they're already inbound leads and the videos help to convert them into a sale.

What I've not done is use YouTube to get new clients.

This is a good podcast explaining the difference between those two uses of content:

For a tutorial that's not a screenshare, I actually like this style of video where you go through a presentation on screen with a small video of you in the corner.

View: https://youtu.be/deAzlMzvhRU

If you want to use YouTube videos to get leads (which is not what I've done yet), then I like the sound of Laurel Portie's strategies. She talks about creating a short piece of "power content" (helpful content) where you call out the person at the start, say what they'll get in the video, do a humble brag, deliver the value, then finish with a CTA.

E.g.

Are you a business owner trying to get your Google Ads campaigns to work?

In the next 5 minutes you'll learn the single biggest reason why people lose money with Google Ads, and the simple structure to help you avoid it.

Hi, my name is Andy Black and I've been helping businesses generate more leads and sales from their Google Ads campaigns since 2009. I've audited hundreds of accounts and always see the same problems. And in the next 5 minutes I'm going to show you the most common problem and the simple solution.

< Spend 5 mins explaining the problem and then the solution >

Hope that helps. If you want more tips or to get us to look over your account then check out <Vanity URL>.

Then you put ad spend behind the video (as low as $2/day) and let YouTube show the video to as many people as possible.

And the smart part is you then you remarket to the people who've watched more than X% of the video.

I'd also recommend getting into short videos (sub 60s portrait videos). They're quicker to create so you can ideally do one a day.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
For a tutorial that's not a screenshare, I actually like this style of video where you go through a presentation on screen with a small video of you in the corner.

I love this too and have been using it for VSL's and such. it makes it so simple to make facecam content, used to have to go through the process of setting up OBS and barely understanding it lol.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I love this too and have been using it for VSL's and such. it makes it so simple to make facecam content, used to have to go through the process of setting up OBS and barely understanding it lol.
I think personal brands will be even more important when the ChatGPT bandwagon floods the internet with faceless, unoriginal, and unopinionated content.

What I liked about that video is there's a written presentation for people to follow and he goes through it with his own intonation and passion. The presentation itself would also make a great content-upgrade (lead magnet) for the particular video.

One of my weaknesses is I don't prepare that well for my videos. I often just wing it, which can be good if you can do it, but it often means I get sidetracked and the video needs editing down.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.