The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Figuring Out Newsletters

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've played with Substack, Revue, MailCheat(Chimp), ActiveCampaign, ConvertKit, and probably a few others.

Who'd have thought the most intuitive, fun, and powerful newsletter tool would be the platform I picked for hosting my courses (New Zenler)?

Here's the dashboard:

1632388037453.png

The filters are so cool!

I can send emails based on the following criteria:

1632388438616.png
1632388387326.png

It's so much fun I want to send an email every day!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Why don't you? I'm on a couple of lists that email daily and I'm not talking about "daily offers" ones :)
Yeah, I’m gonna do it. I just have to make sure I segment folks properly so they’re not getting info they didn’t sign up for.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I use Klaviyo.

All I had to do was do was compose an email and make myself a template.

Then I spiralled down making emails for every possible action customers could make on the website. It’s addictive :rofl:

But again, I think your choice works better with what you’re trying to do.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Oh. I didn't know LinkedIn had newsletters:

2022-01-04_11-02-23.jpg

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Oh. I didn't know LinkedIn had newsletters:

View attachment 41421
They were added recently, which means everyone got a billion invitations to newsletters. VERY annoying. I just click "no" automatically when I get a newsletter invitation on LI. I suspect many others are doing the same.

Growing it organically though? Sure, why not.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wow... you can subscribe here in like two clicks. Click, then confirm you want emails sent to your Twitter email address.

Twitter Newsletter Integration.png

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Wow... you can subscribe here in like two clicks. Click, then confirm you want emails sent to your Twitter email address.

Handy but if you publish anything that Twitter doesn't like, they'll ban you just as easily.

I see no future for newsletter platforms owned by big media.

I'm surprised how many people use them instead of independent solutions like Ghost. They take a big cut, offer almost zero organic exposure, and will surely censor whatever they don't like.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Handy but if you publish anything that Twitter doesn't like, they'll ban you just as easily.

I see no future for newsletter platforms owned by big media.

I'm surprised how many people use them instead of independent solutions like Ghost. They take a big cut, offer almost zero organic exposure, and will surely censor whatever they don't like.
Good point @MTF.

I think that's a "Yes, but" though.

Try swapping:
  • Handy, but if you publish anything that Twitter doesn't like, they'll ban you just as easily.
for:
  • "Handy, and if you publish anything that Twitter doesn't like, they'll ban you just as easily.

You've identified a solvable problem that's more a stepping stone than a hurdle.

Maybe use that built in Subscribe button as a frictionless way to get people initially signed up? Then somehow send them to a newsletter you own... either via an automation, or via by getting them to manually signup?

I currently don't have a paid email newsletter, but am thinking of starting another one. I've not been on Twitter for a while either, and it was interesting seeing these newsletter Subscribe buttons.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Here's the confirmation email. There's no double opt-in. I presume the click to confirm the signup serves the same purpose.

Twitter Newsletter Integration - confirm email.png

And here's what you see on the profile page (Internet Money - Revue):
  • (Btw... I've no interest in this newsletter... I'm just using this as an example)

Twitter Newsletter Integration - profile page.png

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Good point @MTF.

I think that's a "Yes, but" though.

Try swapping:
  • Handy, but if you publish anything that Twitter doesn't like, they'll ban you just as easily.
for:
  • "Handy, and if you publish anything that Twitter doesn't like, they'll ban you just as easily.

You've identified a solvable problem that's more a stepping stone than a hurdle.

Maybe use that built in Subscribe button as a frictionless way to get people initially signed up? Then somehow send them to a newsletter you own... either via an automation, or via by getting them to manually signup?

I currently don't have a paid email newsletter, but am thinking of starting another one. I've not been on Twitter for a while either, and it was interesting seeing these newsletter Subscribe buttons.

I'm extremely frustrated by modern censorship and I feel it's better to support only those who really support independent creators.

Having said that, I appreciate the idea of using them to eventually "steal" the subscribers to your own newsletter.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
I'm extremely frustrated by modern censorship and I feel it's better to support only those who really support independent creators.

Having said that, I appreciate the idea of using them to eventually "steal" the subscribers to your own newsletter.
@MTF do you use Ghost? If so do you self host? How do you find it?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
@MTF do you use Ghost? If so do you self host? How do you find it?

I host on Ghost.org.

I absolutely love the super clean text editor and how easy it makes writing content and presenting it in a beautiful way. The platform is extremely fast and super simple.

As for drawbacks, unlike with, say, Wordpress (which I've grown to hate over years), there's very little customization possible (unless you have technical knowledge or hire someone). Almost everything that is a little different from what Ghost offers requires coding and/or integrations with external services.

But overall, for people who are primarily focused on content creation, it's perfect.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I host on Ghost.org.

I absolutely love the super clean text editor and how easy it makes writing content and presenting it in a beautiful way. The platform is extremely fast and super simple.

As for drawbacks, unlike with, say, Wordpress (which I've grown to hate over years), there's very little customization possible (unless you have technical knowledge or hire someone). Almost everything that is a little different from what Ghost offers requires coding and/or integrations with external services.

But overall, for people who are primarily focused on content creation, it's perfect.
Does Ghost allow you to create email newsletters too, or do you use some other tool for that?

I've also grown to dislike Wordpress.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Does Ghost allow you to create email newsletters too, or do you use some other tool for that?

I've also grown to dislike Wordpress.

Ghost IS for newsletters :)

The way it's set up is that you write an article and publish it on the website. You also have the option to send it (or not) to your subscribers.

So if you use it for a blog, you simply publish articles without sending them to subscribers (unless you want that).

If you use it for a newsletter, by default you send every new article to your subscribers and then it goes on the website (unless you disable it).

You can even protect certain parts of each article (or entire articles or pages) from non-subscribers to encourage them to get access to the full version.

I only used it for free newsletters but it's also super simple for paid newsletters. You just set it up with Stripe and choose your tiers. Then you choose which article goes to which tier.

One thing that Ghost doesn't have is email automations because it's for newsletters, not autoresponders. So there isn't even an option to set a welcome email (only redirect people to a specific page after sign-up). After that, you can only send emails when it's an article.

It has its limits but it works well if your main need is to have a fast, simple content platform. Definitely more than sufficient for most blogs and weekly newsletters.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
I host on Ghost.org.

Thanks. I like the simplicity and that it can be used for a blog and for a newsletter with membership/ paid tiers. I've never got on well with WordPress.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ghost IS for newsletters :)

The way it's set up is that you write an article and publish it on the website. You also have the option to send it (or not) to your subscribers.

So if you use it for a blog, you simply publish articles without sending them to subscribers (unless you want that).

If you use it for a newsletter, by default you send every new article to your subscribers and then it goes on the website (unless you disable it).

You can even protect certain parts of each article (or entire articles or pages) from non-subscribers to encourage them to get access to the full version.

I only used it for free newsletters but it's also super simple for paid newsletters. You just set it up with Stripe and choose your tiers. Then you choose which article goes to which tier.

One thing that Ghost doesn't have is email automations because it's for newsletters, not autoresponders. So there isn't even an option to set a welcome email (only redirect people to a specific page after sign-up). After that, you can only send emails when it's an article.

It has its limits but it works well if your main need is to have a fast, simple content platform. Definitely more than sufficient for most blogs and weekly newsletters.
Thanks @MTF.

I’m going to use New Zenler for my new paid email newsletters. It’s even better than a paid email newsletter solution because it can host courses.

It’s downside is it’s not great for blogging, but I’m not a fan of blogging anyway.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Thanks @MTF.

I’m going to use New Zenler for my new paid email newsletters. It’s even better than a paid email newsletter solution because it can host courses.

It’s downside is it’s not great for blogging, but I’m not a fan of blogging anyway.

I've never used NewZenler so no idea how it looks on the inside. On their sales page it looks extremely feature-rich. I imagine that's enticing for marketers and can be convenient.

For me, it's overwhelming. This is why Ghost appealed to me so much. They don't compete on features but on simplicity. This is also why I don't plan to ever use WordPress again. I used to be a fan but now it's just a bloated mess.

Just saying it as an observation that entrepreneurs can provide super different solutions and still find someone who likes them over competition. And that even "gold standards" can fall. Just a few years ago I would suggest everyone to use WordPress. Now either Ghost or for simpler websites Carrd or something similar.

silent

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 19, 2020
This tickles my "wonder, can I do it?" I have a newsletter hosted over at MailCheat(Chimp) so automating the syncing between Revue<>MailCheat(Chimp) would be a fun thing to try. Thanks for the idea!

silent

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 19, 2020
Looks like I can just use Zappier for it - Add new Revue subscribers to MailCheat(Chimp).

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've never used NewZenler so no idea how it looks on the inside. On their sales page it looks extremely feature-rich. I imagine that's enticing for marketers and can be convenient.

For me, it's overwhelming. This is why Ghost appealed to me so much. They don't compete on features but on simplicity. This is also why I don't plan to ever use WordPress again. I used to be a fan but now it's just a bloated mess.

Just saying it as an observation that entrepreneurs can provide super different solutions and still find someone who likes them over competition. And that even "gold standards" can fall. Just a few years ago I would suggest everyone to use WordPress. Now either Ghost or for simpler websites Carrd or something similar.
I don’t use all the New Zenler features. I love the simplicity of sending emails from it. Segmentation, automation, and ability to have paid email newsletters (Stripe and PayPal).

Because I can host courses on it, I can make the paid newsletters also have some course lessons available for subscribers. I think courses is a nice extra for people signing up to a paid email newsletter, and a paid newsletter is a nice extra for people signing up for courses too.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This is an interesting article format. I’ve never seen (or didn’t notice?) articles that have videos on Twitter embedded in them.

hexelbyte

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
May 31, 2021
Houston, TX
From what I've seen, there is another form of paid newsletters.
That form is called "Private Chat Rooms".
I know that chatrooms have been around for a long time but it's medium that I would debate as "recurring premium information".

In the current era, people pay on Patreon and have access to a "private" Discord where you have direct access to the owner as well as meet like-minded individuals.
Comparing this to the traditional email-newsletters, the client has this sense of 'direct communication' with the business and comradery.

Maybe that is something to make note of as time goes on.
The current generation prefers DMs instead of opening their emails.
"Slide into my DM".

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
From what I've seen, there is another form of paid newsletters.
That form is called "Private Chat Rooms".
I know that chatrooms have been around for a long time but it's medium that I would debate as "recurring premium information".

In the current era, people pay on Patreon and have access to a "private" Discord where you have direct access to the owner as well as meet like-minded individuals.
Comparing this to the traditional email-newsletters, the client has this sense of 'direct communication' with the business and comradery.

Maybe that is something to make note of as time goes on.
The current generation prefers DMs instead of opening their emails.
"Slide into my DM".
Yeah. Good point. There’s also that in-between of Telegram channel like MJ has.

I prefer one-to-many communication channels rather than many-to-many. It’s just easier for me to not bother about community, spam, creating engagement, etc.

jazzdorf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 7, 2021
Munich - Germany
In case you haven’t noticed...

I’m documenting my journey in such a way that others can follow the breadcrumbs. Sure, I’ll go down some cul-de-sacs, and sure, it may end up not working out.

But if it does work out (and especially if other people follow the breadcrumbs, create their own paid email newsletter, and start making revenue), then what do you think I might do next?

Package the thread up nicely and create some paid eBook or course on it? (Serving the DIY market.)

Document it as an internal procedure so we can offer this as a service for clients? (Serving the DFY clients.)

Apply it again and again for our own internal projects?

HI Andy, thank you so much for creating this interesting thread!

I was wondering how it would look in reality. As I understand it you would create more and more paid newsletters in case your system works.
But isn't it also increasing the work you have to put in since you have to create more and more content with an increasing amount of newsletters.

Or did I get something wrong?

Thanks in advance for clarifying!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
HI Andy, thank you so much for creating this interesting thread!

I was wondering how it would look in reality. As I understand it you would create more and more paid newsletters in case your system works.
But isn't it also increasing the work you have to put in since you have to create more and more content with an increasing amount of newsletters.

Or did I get something wrong?

Thanks in advance for clarifying!
Ha. Literally just discussing this in @MTF ’s newsletter thread.

Why do I have to be the writer? If I can make it work for some subject where I do the writing, then why not get experts and do it for other subjects? Maybe it’s even better to start in some subject you know nothing about so you’re focused on the marketing/sales/business side instead of writing?

jazzdorf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 7, 2021
Munich - Germany
Ha. Literally just discussing this in @MTF ’s newsletter thread.

Why do I have to be the writer? If I can make it work for some subject where I do the writing, then why not get experts and do it for other subjects? Maybe it’s even better to start in some subject you know nothing about so you’re focused on the marketing/sales/business side instead of writing?
omg I still have so much to learn.
Thank you, Andy!

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
Haha! I can't believe how blinkered I am at times.

I've just come back to this thread with the realisation that I shouldn't think of a newsletter as a newsletter. I just needed to reframe the way I think.

In the past, I've supplied written courses to a company called Highbrow. They then turn those courses into a series of 10 emails of no more than 500 words each that are sent daily. People pay a small monthly subscription to sign up for a course and receive these daily emails. This is really just like a paid newsletter and they have the "experts" writing the newsletters in exchange for a share of the commission.

Nice business model if you get the marketing right.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.