The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Figuring Out Newsletters

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Haha! I can't believe how blinkered I am at times.

I've just come back to this thread with the realisation that I shouldn't think of a newsletter as a newsletter. I just needed to reframe the way I think.

In the past, I've supplied written courses to a company called Highbrow. They then turn those courses into a series of 10 emails of no more than 500 words each that are sent daily. People pay a small monthly subscription to sign up for a course and receive these daily emails. This is really just like a paid newsletter and they have the "experts" writing the newsletters in exchange for a share of the commission.

Nice business model if you get the marketing right.
Exactly! It doesn't have to be "news", or formatted fancy.

That's why I quite like New Zenler as a platform for a paid email newsletter. Not only can people signup easily to get emails, and I can send emails only to people who've signed up, but I can also create an area for lessons/courses/etc where they'll get instant access so long as they're a member. So it's potentially a newsletter plus access to a library.

See this post in this thread.

Quoting myself:

I think courses is a nice extra for people signing up to a paid email newsletter, and a paid newsletter is a nice extra for people signing up for courses too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jazzdorf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 7, 2021
Munich - Germany
I like this business model, I like the simplicity of it. I read the article you linked earlier (superfastbusiness), and then further read up how the guy featured in that article is doing now, hes grown to mid 7 figures yearly now with 75% profit margin!
Webinar Replay: How I Went from $500,000 to $4 Million Per Year Using Email, Web Push and Facebook Messenger - Matt Paulson
Thank you GSF!
Unfortunately, his site is offline at the moment. Maybe there is an archive you happen to have? I've seen he has a linkedin page and seems to do great.

jazzdorf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 7, 2021
Munich - Germany
Great tips/blog on the GetRevue site:
Thank you, Andy! Again.

I'm slowly making my way through this thread and a lot of questions pop up:

Like how do I find people to subscribe.
Also my idea is more like the membernaire things that was posted above.

I think going with a course by email is a good way to start for me.
Setting up a landing page, I've already created some content (3 mails so far, all of them in the range of 1000-1200 words).
I also created some pdf documents as a bonus to the course in order to increase the perceived value.

But I still don't have an idea on how to get an audience for the course delivered by email. Also I have no know-how whatsoever regarding marketing or promoting stuff.
I will think about this. Maybe reading this thread will enlighten me. (and reading a lot of other resources...)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you, Andy! Again.

I'm slowly making my way through this thread and a lot of questions pop up:

Like how do I find people to subscribe.
Also my idea is more like the membernaire things that was posted above.

I think going with a course by email is a good way to start for me.
Setting up a landing page, I've already created some content (3 mails so far, all of them in the range of 1000-1200 words).
I also created some pdf documents as a bonus to the course in order to increase the perceived value.

But I still don't have an idea on how to get an audience for the course delivered by email. Also I have no know-how whatsoever regarding marketing or promoting stuff.
I will think about this. Maybe reading this thread will enlighten me. (and reading a lot of other resources...)
Check out @MTF 's thread too.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A hobby?

I'm thinking of setting up a new email newsletter and linking to that from my mucking about on TikTok and YouTube Shorts.

I don't want the newsletter related to my Google Ads course. Making sales of that course isn't even a goal ... it's there for when people ask if I have a course.

I don't want the newsletter to be a funnel towards my client work either. I don't get client work from emails, or posting on TikTok or YouTube. Client work comes via building relationships with people and word-of-mouth. I want this completely separate from my client services business too.

So this newsletter will be just a wee hobby and labour of love that I'll do for fun, and that gives a bit more purpose behind my mucking about on TikTok and YouTube.

What will the subject be? I'm not quite sure... but probably aimed at newbies to help them get started in business, and get better at marketing and sales. I'd like to post that kind of content on TikTok and YouTube, and it makes sense for it to be the content of the newsletter.

Maybe I start a brand new YouTube channel for this too. Not sure. Not too fussed either way, which probably points towards not starting a new channel.

What platform? I don't want it linked to my New Zenler installation in any way, so I might use something like www.beehiiv.com which has a free tier.

I blame @redshift because he said this:
You can set up shop in less than 5 minutes with a $0 investment. Yes, you can succeed, but you'd have to be EXCEPTIONAL and stick to it for a long time (years).
My gut says you don't have to be expectional, or stick to it for a long time (years).

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Well that was easy...

I can redirect people to a page after they subscribe, but for the moment it just says "Thanks for subscribing".

I've not setup a welcome email yet. I won't do that till I'm getting a steady stream of subscribers. Until then I'll send personalised video welcomes to each new subscriber, and ask what they're interested in learning, why, etc.

2022-10-20_10-58-15.png

I've linked to my beehiiv URL on my TikTok and Twitter profiles for now.

I've not done it for LinkedIn or YouTube (yet?).

TikTok:

2022-10-20_11-03-26.png

Twitter:

2022-10-20_11-05-31.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hmmm.

Beehiiv doesn't ask for people's names, and doesn't send email notifications when someone subscribes.

I like being able to hop onto Loom and record a quick welcome video on my phone and send it to them. Using their name helps them know it's a real video. Doing it within an hour or two of them subscribing helps too.

I may just set something up on New Zenler instead, and make it the sole focus of the homepage (so hiding the paid courses from the homepage). Then I can also send folks to a better looking URL, and be able to have people subscribe to courses and a newsletter which I think is how New Zenler beats the newsletter apps.

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
I like being able to hop onto Loom and record a quick welcome video on my phone and send it to them. Using their name helps them know it's a real video. Doing it within an hour or two of them subscribing helps too.
THIS, my friend, is what we call THE JUICE

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thinking of creating a free newsletter.

Looking at Google Trends for various tools:

1676378193748.png

Lol. When you add in MailCheat(Chimp)....

1676378243347.png

Google Keyword Planner US estimated search volumes:

330071435_864534974774529_665755339119318326_n.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
Thinking of creating a free newsletter.

Looking at Google Trends for various tools:

View attachment 47158

Lol. When you add in MailCheat(Chimp)....

View attachment 47160

Google Keyword Planner US estimated search volumes:

View attachment 47161
After you did a short video for me, I started using Google Trends to research YouTube video ideas. It's a great method and some of the results are a real eye-opener. I can't believe the interest in MailCheat(Chimp) though - is it people trying to get a refund?

Are you thinking about doing a newsletter marketing newsletter?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
After you did a short video for me, I started using Google Trends to research YouTube video ideas. It's a great method and some of the results are a real eye-opener. I can't believe the interest in MailCheat(Chimp) though - is it people trying to get a refund?

Are you thinking about doing a newsletter marketing newsletter?
That video was using the Google Keyword Planner, which is what I normally use. I used Google Trends above as I was curious if any of the email/newsletter tools was trending. It looks like Substack is, but I don't want to use Substack even though it's free and nice to start with. I'd like to have a bit more functionality... like automations, segmentation, and the ability to create and use custom fields.

Those search volumes for MailCheat(Chimp) and the other ESPs are likely people just logging in. They go to Google or their browser search bar, type in the platform, then click the link on Google.

Hmm... a newsletter marketing newsletter? That's meta. I'm on a few actually. I'll link to them when I find them.

I'm thinking of using my Google Ads skills to get searchers to a simple landing page where they can signup. I'll figure out what to deliver when I figure out what I can get signups for.

I had a bit of a think and, while I love YouTube and video, my skillset is Google Ads and moving fast. I don't particularly like creating courses or content, so I may just outsource that part and focus on the marketing.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
That video was using the Google Keyword Planner, which is what I normally use. I used Google Trends above as I was curious if any of the email/newsletter tools was trending.

Yes, of course, you're right. I hadn't realised until I read this.

Somewhere along the way, I started using Google Trends rather than the keyword planner. The advantage it gave me was that I could compare the popularity of two topics visually. It made me realise that around 50x more people are searching on topics like Lightroom and Photoshop than Affinity Photo. I assume this kind of comparison is just as useful in the newsletter sense.

Hmm... a newsletter marketing newsletter? That's meta.

That's funny.

I had a bit of a think and, while I love YouTube and video, my skillset is Google Ads and moving fast. I don't particularly like creating courses or content, so I may just outsource that part and focus on the marketing.

Another gold nugget hiding in plain sight. We should all try to play to our strengths more. Using your Google Ads skills to find out what people will sign up for will be an interesting test. I'm looking forward to future updates on the thread.

WeeksOutstanding

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 9, 2021
Singapore
That video was using the Google Keyword Planner, which is what I normally use. I used Google Trends above as I was curious if any of the email/newsletter tools was trending. It looks like Substack is, but I don't want to use Substack even though it's free and nice to start with. I'd like to have a bit more functionality... like automations, segmentation, and the ability to create and use custom fields.

Those search volumes for MailCheat(Chimp) and the other ESPs are likely people just logging in. They go to Google or their browser search bar, type in the platform, then click the link on Google.

Hmm... a newsletter marketing newsletter? That's meta. I'm on a few actually. I'll link to them when I find them.

I'm thinking of using my Google Ads skills to get searchers to a simple landing page where they can signup. I'll figure out what to deliver when I figure out what I can get signups for.

Hi Andy, hope you're well!

Just thought to share my thoughts on Substack, to hopefully offer another perspective.

Admittedly I'm rather new to writing on Substack (low double digit posts) but I might make the case that it's worth trying for a start because:
1) It's really easy to use and they've got a good text editor in place. Headings, formats, autosave, paste images and resizing, alt text. It's quite put together
2) In line with that theme, their dashboard is good. And can only continue improving, with the trend you see on google (more reason for them to invest in the business)
3) There's actually a way (somewhat) to segment audiences by creating a sub-substack (can google "sections in substack")
4) No harm - it's an easy learning curve so if you don't find value after 2 hours, it's 2 hours of exploration well spent. Easy pick up means low time to validation of your ideas. And if validated, there's 1-click export of your email subscriber list so it's easy to migrate in the end, if you really end up disliking it
5) Other tools that they provide out of the box like podcasts / chats that are natural adjacencies, that could help give you ideas for how to extend beyond your current idea of paid email newsletters

My 2 cents and just re-reading the above to make sure that it's sensible, I realise that I need to put a disclaimer that I do NOT work for them and have no relation to substack

Regardless of your choice I'm following closely and rooting for you

Edwin

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Somewhere along the way, I started using Google Trends rather than the keyword planner. The advantage it gave me was that I could compare the popularity of two topics visually. It made me realise that around 50x more people are searching on topics like Lightroom and Photoshop than Affinity Photo. I assume this kind of comparison is just as useful in the newsletter sense.
Knowing what's searched for the most is useful for all businesses I'd think, even if they're not using Google as a channel. It would tell you which product would likely interest more people on Facebook for instance.

Using your Google Ads skills to find out what people will sign up for will be an interesting test. I'm looking forward to future updates on the thread.
Yeah, I'm not saying I won't produce written, audio, or video content. Just that I prefer to get leads first and then create content for those leads, rather than create content to get leads and then create even more content for those leads.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Andy, hope you're well!

Just thought to share my thoughts on Substack, to hopefully offer another perspective.

Admittedly I'm rather new to writing on Substack (low double digit posts) but I might make the case that it's worth trying for a start because:
1) It's really easy to use and they've got a good text editor in place. Headings, formats, autosave, paste images and resizing, alt text. It's quite put together
2) In line with that theme, their dashboard is good. And can only continue improving, with the trend you see on google (more reason for them to invest in the business)
3) There's actually a way (somewhat) to segment audiences by creating a sub-substack (can google "sections in substack")
4) No harm - it's an easy learning curve so if you don't find value after 2 hours, it's 2 hours of exploration well spent. Easy pick up means low time to validation of your ideas. And if validated, there's 1-click export of your email subscriber list so it's easy to migrate in the end, if you really end up disliking it
5) Other tools that they provide out of the box like podcasts / chats that are natural adjacencies, that could help give you ideas for how to extend beyond your current idea of paid email newsletters

My 2 cents and just re-reading the above to make sure that it's sensible, I realise that I need to put a disclaimer that I do NOT work for them and have no relation to substack

Regardless of your choice I'm following closely and rooting for you

Edwin
Substack is a great platform and I'd recommend it to anyone starting out. It's so quick to create a new Substack, share the link, and start publishing.

I don't want to get tied into their ecosystem though, and I think it's lacking in automations and segmentation.

I have a vision of lots of niche specific domains and their landing pages and people signing up to one big list but getting tagged differently.

If I used ActiveCampaign or ConvertKit then I can create custom fields and populate them via parameters I send via Google Ads to the landing page.

We'll likely create our own landing pages and signup forms rather than using the ESP landing pages and forms. We'd have more control, and could swap ESP if we decided to.

We're using the ESP as our CRM and leveraging their emailing functionality.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A website listing newsletters for sale:

AayushT8999

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Nov 26, 2022
Lol. Well, you just signed up to this progress thread.

Or were you asking where to signup to his cycling newsletter?
Highly intrested in email newsletters.
So sighned up to this thread.
If You have a topic on which You will start the newsletter.
I can research and give you emails for that for free.
Inshort work for you for free while learning.
Self improvement motivational email newsletters are popular.
Arnold Swartzenneger have a fitness email newslettor I am signed up on it.

If you have any work like writing emails ask Me.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Highly intrested in email newsletters.
So sighned up to this thread.
If You have a topic on which You will start the newsletter.
I can research and give you emails for that for free.
Inshort work for you for free while learning.
Self improvement motivational email newsletters are popular.
Arnold Swartzenneger have a fitness email newslettor I am signed up on it.

If you have any work like writing emails ask Me.
Deep dive into newsletters and maybe start one on Substack or Beehiiv?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Blimey. I started this thread nearly 5 years ago. I didn't really get into paid email newsletters much. I still like them, but I've become more interested in free email newsletters, especially with the likes of Sparkloop's Upscribe allowing us to get revenue if people subscribe to other newsletters on our "Thanks for Subscribing" page.

I'm now seeing if I can build free email lists using Google Ads and get the costs covered by Upscribe revenue. I'm documenting it in new progress thread here.

Changed title of this thread from "Figuring Out Paid Email Newsletters" to "Figuring Out Paid (and Free) Email Newsletters".

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've been copy/pasting updates to clients and sending them out as newsletter issues, and posting to Facebook and LinkedIn.

Today is the third in a series.

Here's how it started:

2023-11-10_12-39-02.png

Here's how it finished:
I'm linking to the previous issues for those that missed them.

2023-11-10_12-41-29.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Here's what I posted to LinkedIn 20 mins ago.

I was checking the project stats this morning anyway, so writing this up didn't take much time.

Later today I'll add a CTA to signup to my newsletter at the bottom.

1710931203663.png

I then sent a short email to my newsletter subscribers:
1710930922367.png

My newletter only has 200 subscribers at the moment, but I can see it growing slowly (probably mostly from the forum rather than LinkedIn but maybe that will change).

Stats for my email broadcasts as of now:

1710931354423.png

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!