The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Figuring Out Paid email newsletters

Andy Black

Making a nuisance of himself on Twitter
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Facebook would be the last place where I would launch a newsletter,
Oh, agreed.

Facebook getting in on the game tells us newsletters will be a gold rush, if it’s not already.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've been following you on twitter for sometime now, and I'd have to say I have to sit down with a pen and paper to take notes from your tweets :D I tried replying to comments for a month on reddit, maybe I should start getting on quora as well.
P.S: Thanks for all the value you provide Andy, much appreciated.

Oh wow. Thanks for that feedback.

Every bit of positive feedback helps. Hence why I recommend platforms with short feedback loops.

Curious what tweets are resonating the most, and what type of notes you’re taking.

This is a good book. I’m halfway through:B922DDBB-55F3-492D-824F-194544113C38.jpeg

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Awesome post, thank you!
Thanks @MTF.

Are you on any platforms building up a following? You’ve already got infinite material and content to build a following.

I know you value your privacy. I didn’t realise until a couple of months into Twitter that there were big anon accounts. Some are massive.

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Nicolas Cole (the author of the book I listed above) was the number one author on Quora for views one particular year. He knows his stuff.

I loved how one of his tweets succinctly put into words what I was struggling to say for a while:

“Building an audience isn’t a goal. It’s a by-product.”

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Nicolas Cole (the author of the book I listed above) was the number one author on Quora for views one particular year. He knows his stuff.

I loved how one of his tweets succinctly put into words what I was struggling to say for a while:

“Building an audience isn’t a goal. It’s a by-product.”
I'm currently on one of Cole's courses "Ship 30 for 30".

It's essentially a 30 day daily writing challenge.

I managed two weeks before cocking up. Bank holiday weekend

Anyways, it's getting me closer to where I need to be.

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread and seeing your journey of ~3 years.

Can you possibly give an update on your current tech stack as well as numbers?

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm currently on one of Cole's courses "Ship 30 for 30".

It's essentially a 30 day daily writing challenge.

I managed two weeks before cocking up. Bank holiday weekend

Anyways, it's getting me closer to where I need to be.

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread and seeing your journey of ~3 years.

Can you possibly give an update on your current tech stack as well as numbers?
Oh interesting. I see the #ship30for30 stuff in my timeline. I swear I ignore those tweets where I have to click the essay to open up 250 words in an image and try to zoom in on my phone. If you're doing those then I think you'll be better going native and creating a thread. Before you create threads I suggest getting good at single tweets.

Current tech stack: I'm still using Substack for my personal journal growing my business. It's still a $5/mth newsletter, and like a private progress thread of me journaling whatever I'm currently figuring out (mostly updates on Twitter at the moment).

A few people have unsubscribed as they're not interested in Twitter, but that's ok.

There's probably only a dozen people on that newsletter, and some are people in my team. Rather than spam Basecamp with update about my external activities I added them.

You'd think only a dozen people on it would make it a waste of time. But it's amazing the motivation you have knowing even one person is paying monthly for your updates.

I've not tried to scale it. I rarely tell anyone about it, and it's only when I've been in DM for a while.

I've just started a new free Mailchimp newsletter that's linked to my Twitter account. I picked Mailchimp because it is used waaay more than any other email service provider. And it's free up to 2k subscribers.

I'll figure out how to get people onto the free email newsletter, and one of the offers will likely be to upgrade to a low priced paid email newsletter. I'll figure it out as I go along (and document it in my current paid email newsletter!).

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A forum member just subscribed to my Substack. How cool. New members sign up so rarely I’m able to get into an email convo.

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 8, 2017
UK
I'm curious. In your experience what is generally the best ratio between free articles and member-only paid articles?

Obviously you want to lure people in with your free articles but also make your paid subscribers feel like they're getting a great deal.

Also....are there any other threads on the forum of people doing similar that you're aware of? Would love to follow.

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm curious. In your experience what is generally the best ratio between free articles and member-only paid articles?

Obviously you want to lure people in with your free articles but also make your paid subscribers feel like they're getting a great deal.

Also....are there any other threads on the forum of people doing similar that you're aware of? Would love to follow.
I don’t know if anyone else in the forum is dabbling with paid email newsletters.

I made my Substack newsletter paid only. I like that I don’t send emails to get people to upgrade to the paid plan. I just send emails knowing they’re all for paid subscribers.

I have a new Mailchimp newsletter that people join from Twitter. That one’s free only. Again, it simplified things for me to know all issues will be free.

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE 7 Days To Freedom: From Wantrepreneur/Wage Slave To Freelancer
I attended the live session, really loved it! It gives some useful and practical tips on how to...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Three things: 1. Discord Chat is open. Click here for free access. 2. New YouTube Channel...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Its for students who have joined. Did you sign up? Hey Rob, been watching your infoproduct and...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
If there’s one thread I see repeated over and over again on the forum, it goes like this: “I...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...

Forum Sponsor

Over 100 Fastlane Students
More Details...

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom