• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Figuring Out Net Income for Owning A Business

Discussion in 'Asset Protection/Taxes/Legal' started by freelancer123, Apr 16, 2018.

1. freelancer123

freelancer123 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $309
    I am brand new here and thought it was worth a shot asking my question here. I am looking for some advice on how to figure out some tax/financial details regarding my business. I am a teacher and performer and have learned that I basically own a small business.

I am having significant trouble figuring out the Gross Income i need to make in a year so that I can comfortably pay my taxes, pay my bills and still have enough for savings. It seems like with a significant amount of deductions, modest living expenses and frugal spending, I am still struggling to have anything left over when taxes roll around.

This year I grossed about 90k, and had a net profit of about 13k after deductions. It seems self employment tax is hitting me really hard at the end of the year. I’m trying to figure out if I just need to earn a ton more money to offset taxes and living expenses or I need to show more profits for my business or something else.

How much gross income would I need to earn per year to take home $60k after taxes?

2. IGP

IGP Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,534
    Only you or your accountant can answer that as you don't give enough information:

General calculations:

Gross income - deductions = Taxable income

Taxable Income - (Tax rate * Taxable Income) = Take Home

Tommo, ruzara5, ZCP and 1 other person like this.
  3. freelancer123

Rep Bank:
    $309
    I understand the logic of the basic calculations. My problem is the tax rates are confusing me, I am not certain, but suspect that my business is getting taxed 15.3% then my personal income is getting taxed another 15%, does that sound possible or correct?

What information do you need to answer more in depth?

I’m having trouble understanding how i’m being taxed. The tax rate seems to require several calculations. It seems like I’m not consitently being charged the same tax rate year to year, but I may be, I can’t tell. Again, just an observation, but it appears I’m getting taxed twice. Possibly once on the business then one on my personal?

4. CareCPA

CareCPA Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,643
    Self-employment tax is 15.3% - this is your Medicare and Social Security tax.
    If you had a W-2 job, you would pay 7.65%, and your employer would pay the other half. As a self-employed individual, you are both the employer and employee.

On top of this, you pay income tax for federal (and potentially state) purposes. There are different rates depending on the amount of income you make in a year. To confuse you even more, these rates changed for 2018 from 2017.

Both Self-employment and income tax are charged only on your net business income (revenue minus expenses).

JScott, ZCP, nitrousflame and 2 others like this.
  5. freelancer123

Rep Bank:
    $309
    I had about 4300 in w-2 income and the rest in 1099, cash and checks. So was my net income probably taxed 15.3% or are there more calculations than that? Im doing the math and i just dont understand how im getting taxed, I dont understand how to calculate the numbers my cpa is giving me. It’s making it quite difficult for me to understand how much money I’m actually making.

How does tax liability work in all this? What is it?

Did they go up in 2018? Is the income i make in a year calculated on my AGI? Is this the second tax calculation i’m missing?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  6. CareCPA

CareCPA Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,643
    I wouldn't say twice, I would say it's cumulative.
    It's 15.3% + income tax (anywhere from 0% to 37% in 2018).

It's also not strictly as laid out above, as the math is a little more involved, but that's close enough for argument's sake.
    For example, half of your Self employment tax is a deduction on the front of your 1040, and you only pay SE on 92.35% of your earnings.

nitrousflame, Scot and freelancer123 like this.
  7. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $22,045
    Book a two hour appointment w/ your CPA. Ask him to walk you through your 1040 line by line.
    It will be the best money you have spent (and tax deductible!).

Then you can hit investopedia and even come back to this thread w/ more questions.
    ---------------
    For this forum, where do you want to be? Where are you trying to get? What vehicle to you plan to use to get you there? Post an intro in the intro thread....

8. freelancer123

Rep Bank:
    $309
    This year I am in a bad spot, I pay my CPA $750 per year to file and $50 per 1099 to issue to contractors (I have from 10-20 per year). I tried making an appointment this year, like I have done the past 2 years. They told me to just come in (I assumed that was because I have worked with them for 2 years). Upon going into their office they told me to file an extension to do my taxes after the deadline and suggested I send a couple thousand dollars to the government just in case I owed more than normal -- this conversation lasted about 1 minute. I was dumbfounded. I asked if the estimated stubs they gave me to pay last year weren't sufficient. She reiterated, yeah I'd just send them a couple thousand dollars because you'll have to pay interest. I asked again, there's no way, she said, "we're too busy". I called around to other CPAs, found someone who said they'd do my return on time and went to my original CPA to get my documents and they suddenly had time for me and were able to get my return done on time within a day. As it stood the estimated payments that they gave me stubs for last year added up to about 1700 and I ended up owing over 3k more. It's a total nightmare. I'm a responsible person, I did everything they told me to do. On more than one occasion I've tried to set up an appointment to go into their office and have a detailed meeting with them regarding these questions and they responded with a one line answer to my email, what questions do you have?

I have deducted that since their upgrade last year to a larger corporate suite that I am just not a big enough account for them to justify helping me. Being a business owner myself it seems like a horrible business practice to push me aside after two years when they could've just told me my account isn't large enough for them. I can also easily go on yelp. I have been a loyal client for 2 years, even referred several people to them, but am now ready to move on. I am in damage contro trying to take control of the situation because the money I've paid them clearly seems to have the privilege of them doing my taxes as opposed to them actually working with me do better each year.

9. freelancer123

Rep Bank:
    $309
    Ahhhh. I see. Thank you very much for your help. This is sooo helpful. I greatly appreciate it. I understand...kind of...I'm fairly certain the self employment tax is what's getting me.

10. GoGetter24

GoGetter24 Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,808
    Sounds like you need new accountants. Also sounds like room for a new competitor in accountancy wherever you are.

Basically if you have an accountant, but still that chaos is happening, and you're asking on a free internet forum for help on the very thing they should be doing, you don't have an accountant, you have a fraud.

11. freelancer123

Rep Bank:
    $309
    Going to be honest. I don't understand how small businesses survive, I understand that in reality they do, but this tax stuff confuses me greatly. Is there a way to make 90k in a year and manage it in a way that it is more profitable? I make what I thought was decent money, it's quite frustrating. Does a business have to have an AGI of 150k/200k to be able to provide any kind of solid income?

12. freelancer123

Rep Bank:
    $309
    Agreed. I have been paying this CPA who has a team of 10+ people and lawyers and last year got an inkling that they were "changing" their strategy. This year though...I'm out, can't deal with this. I pay them all this money because I'm too busy working 60 hours a week running my business to deal with all the numbers. I honestly needed the validation and greatly appreciate your feedback. They will only fool me once.

Real Deal Denver likes this.
  13. levijean

levijean Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,859
    With those numbers, taxes are the least of your concerns. You should be figuring out how to increase sales and/or margins.

SteveO, freelancer123 and ZCP like this.
  14. freelancer123

Rep Bank:
    $309
    This is exactly what my question is, WHAT are good numbers/margins?

15. levijean

levijean Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,859
    That is a pretty subjective question but anyone here will tell you that working 60 hrs/week to net $13,000 is majorly spinning your wheels, unless you are looking down the road to a huge payoff.

16. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $22,045
    so you tried to talk to your accountant 2 days before their busiest time of the entire year and they actually answered you ..... and your account has amounted to ~$1500 over two years for them...... and they still answered you.......

sounds like you just need to plan a better time to talk to them.... would you really want to use an accountant that was not busy the week before the filing deadline??

1st thing you need to do is get on irs.gov and start studying yourself so you can ask better questions. read through the 1040 and prepare it yourself and read through all the tables and figure out what is going on.....

Next thing you need to do is increase revenue substantially. Then you can get people to handle your questions for you. Right now you have little to show for a lot of hours.

in the meantime, be patient with this CPA ..... book an appointment at the end of May and go in and talk ..... send your questions beforehand so they can prepare......

hang in there.... every business was at some point at the point you are now..... :)

17. Richard Greene

Richard Greene Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $190
    If you go to the IRS website they have an entire course on taxes for small business.
    Lots of great info for free. Best of luck.

18. Merging Left

Merging Left Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,528
    You're making $90k and after taxes you have $13k left over. Taxes are not eating $77k of your earnings... that would be like 85%. Your question is ultimately how much do you need to earn to live comfortably, so let's back up and away from taxes for a moment.

What's your net profit before any tax considerations? Just revenue - expenses.

19. freelancer123

Rep Bank:
    $309
    Haha. My return was finished recently. I contacted them months ago to schedule an appointment, last November and in january and march.

Hence why I am asking questions. Had no idea there are resources on the irs website site.

How much of a revenue increase??

20. freelancer123

Rep Bank:
    $309
    It fluctuates year to year. I can calculate net profit...Im interested in knowing what i’d need to make to have 60,000 per year to live on after taxes.

21. freelancer123

Rep Bank:
    $309
    What amount isnt spinning your wheels???

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  22. freelancer123

Rep Bank:
    $309
    THANK YOU

Richard Greene likes this.
  23. exclusives88

exclusives88 Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $5,749
    If you are only netting 19k on 90k, I would look to see why your margins are so low and how to improve it. Taxes isn't the problem. In any case..

Here is a High Level Calc

If your Federal tax rate is 24% and 15.3% self employment tax. Your combined Federal tax after taking self employment tax deduction is 30.48%

$60,000 / (1-.3048)= $86,306

This does not take in account:

1. State Tax Rate (varies based on state)
    2. Assuming business not in a C corp, S Corp, or Partnership
    3. Not including exemptions/standard deduction/itemized deduction

Why do you need to know how to make 60k after taxes when you haven't even made 60k before taxes?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  24. Merging Left

Merging Left Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,528
    Right, you've missed my point.

You're taxed based on net profit; not based on revenue. If you're making $90k, but you have $85k in expenses, you'll be earning peanuts compared to if you're making $90k but have $10k in expenses.

@exclusives88 offered a perfectly reasonable calculation to get you to $60k in actual cash earnings each year. You need to have a net profit, before taxes, of $86k. That number is super rough and has a lot of assumptions in it, but maybe it can at least serve as a starting point for you.

So you tell me: How much money do you need to make to have a net profit of $86k?

25. freelancer123

Rep Bank:
    $309
    I understand. My margins are low because I’m getting killed on expenses...I don’t think taxes are killing me as much as think it feels like nothing is left for savings after paying rent, bills etc.

This is awesome! This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!! I am going to have to do some studying to understand everything you are saying. Will be doing that tonight.

Because I don’t understand the math yet...thats why im asking. It would give a ballpark of how it equates. It is an attempt to get an idea an approximate amount that would allow one to get by/to live and pay bills and save a little...

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.