The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Figuring Out LinkedIn

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
€15 spent in a few hours (with a budget of €10/day) and only two Likes on the post. I checked the profiles of both people and they don't even have a photo uploaded never mind a banner. I've paused the ad campaign.

This looks like it'll be more of a content treadmill. I don't mind. I write every day and it can be a store of my content instead of just keeping it in Google Keep.

I'm sure there's optimisation that can be done, but if I was to spend money on ads then I'd rather do Google Ads and/or YouTube Ads. I have zero interest in grinding it out while learning a new paid channel.

2022-06-21_21-20-07.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Someone Liked this post in the forum last night and I thought I'd post it to LinkedIn:

Here's what it looks like:

2022-06-22_07-48-51.png

The post yesterday didn't do well:
  • Too educational? Too boring?
  • Maybe the headline was too clumsy?
  • Or maybe I could have written a long post that started with "Sell people what they're already looking for."?
  • I can always try it again in a few weeks.

2022-06-22_07-51-27.png

Watching this graph with interest:

2022-06-22_07-55-09.png

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Someone Liked this post in the forum last night and I thought I'd post it to LinkedIn:

Here's what it looks like:

View attachment 44122

The post yesterday didn't do well:
  • Too educational? Too boring?
  • Maybe the headline was too clumsy?
  • Or maybe I could have written a long post that started with "Sell people what they're already looking for."?
  • I can always try it again in a few weeks.

View attachment 44123

Watching this graph with interest:

View attachment 44124
Hi Andy thank you this post was needed.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So the LinkedIn feed is just a slightly more professional 'Money Twitter'?
Lol. I hadn’t thought of it. I’d say it’s less bro marketer and if anything maybe too corporate speak.

The LinkedIn feed is noisy alright, but I like that posts can be longer on LinkedIn and aren’t those infernal Twitter threads.

There’s no anon accounts on LinkedIn either, which I prefer.

Last week someone messaged me saying he was also dropping Twitter as he found there were too many “true but useless” posts. I thought that was funny, and know exactly what he means.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
1) Stats from post yesterday:
  • Not bad for my recent posts.
  • What would make it better?
    Maybe a more topical image catching latest trends (see previous post where I came across a post that went viral)?

2022-06-23_08-23-29.png

2) 90 day impressions:
  • Dumb graph btw... they should just stop at that peak and not drop it to zero for today just because they don't have data for today yet.

2022-06-23_08-26-50.png

3) Did some work this morning and sent a note to our developer.
  • Created a post on a Speedway thread HERE.
  • Sent it as an email newsletter to members of my paid course membership.
  • Posted it to LinkedIn just now.
  • I don't expect it to do as well as yesterday's post, but I'd created the content already so thought I'd repurpose it.
  • Posted to Twitter too as a thread... although I don't think it'll get any engagement.
1655978090525.png

4) Wow. Loads of connections have started messaging me for the first time in 5-10 years.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thought I'd try creating an article. I've seen some LinkedIn articles indexed on Google when searching. Maybe LinkedIn articles can also get visitors from Google?

I took this forum thread:

And posted it as a LinkedIn article an hour ago (at about 12:00 noon):

2022-06-24_13-21-29.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Damn. I should have mentioned this but forgot because it didn’t feel like a big deal…

Someone reached out last week asking to have a paid consultation about how Google Ads could help his two business offerings. I suggested we just hop on a call and chat.

We did that two days ago. I’m out of practice chatting to folks and talked a bit longer than needed.

At the end of the call he wanted to know how to hire me and I pushed back, suggesting he do keyword and competitor research like I’d just showed him. He didn’t get offended… lol. We’ve messaged a bit since and I see him still Liking my posts.

Anyway, he was probably already a 1st tier connection (of which I have many), but this just shows the power of gently reminding people you’re still there and what you do.

Why did I forget about this “result” from my week back on LinkedIn?

I wasn’t even thinking about getting people on calls or getting clients when I was posting to LinkedIn.

Maybe that’s why it happened?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My profile at the moment:

LinkedIn profile.png
2022-06-25_22-26-04.png

I'll create a couple more articles so I can add them to the Featured area:

2022-06-25_22-03-34.png

Impressions over the last 90 days:

2022-06-25_22-25-34.png

You can see I've done bugger all on the platform for the past 12 months.
The Job Titles I'm getting impressions for is interesting.

2022-06-25_22-31-12.png

Thought this video was very interesting. It's taking what I do naturally to another level and being systematic about it.

Basically... post content and reach out to who engages. They're "warm" and should already know who you are.

A smart strategy she discusses is to comment early on posts by big accounts your ideal prospects follow. This is a common Twitter growth strategy that I didn't bother with. I might have a think about adding high value comments on other people's posts. Now I think about it, I comment in the forum way more than I create new threads.

So my homework:
  • Who do I want to get my content in front of?
  • Who do they already follow?

Which reminds me of that favourite from Jay Abraham:

"Who already has your customers?"

View: https://youtu.be/BjTNuLrIIlA

EDIT: On second thoughts I think that's a distraction.
  • I've already got over 11k followers, albeit that grew over 10 years and I've been super quiet for the last couple of years (so my current reach is probably very low).
  • I've a bank of content on the forum, and I can recreate a lot of it on LinkedIn without needing to write anything new for a few years probably!
  • I think at the moment I should focus on creating a process to take threads/posts from the forum and publish to LinkedIn.

EDIT 2: Created this Google Sheet from this URL:

Posting schedule.png

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Was watching a LinkedIn course on Skillshare last night.

Here's a slide. I can soooo do this.

Post hook.png

Here's a post I saw with a black and white graphic AND a hook:

B&W image with hook.png

I posted a black and white graphic a while back, but didn't create a hook and there was no reason for people to "...see more" (and there was nothing more to read anyway!).

B&W image without hook.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I posted this morning without an image and without a decent hook. 300+ impressions and no engagements.

I deleted it then reposted with an image, and a better hook. 1 engagement out of 26 impressions so far.

This is so different than posting in a forum. I've clearly a lot to learn!

Saving this to watch later (thanks for sharing @bfmcneill):

a content matrix will solve your problem. The basic idea is you have topics you are trying to rank for down the left of a spreadsheet and content types across the top. Set aside two good hours when you are primed for making content and start picking intersections of topics and content types.

*** note ***
I watch this video, they talk about creating content in the context of LinkedIn but I imagine it is a similar tactic for news letters.

*** also note ***
I am new here, if the links are a problem please don't ban me, I have no affiliation with this guy, I thought it might help @Madame Peccato

Video explains it better, the guy did some free training on youtube for teachable and shared the methodology. Here is the official source | youtube link | content matrix template

The YouTube video I linked there is queued up to the timestamp about 33 minutes in so you can skip a bunch of other crap. also here is a picture if you don't want to watch the video segment

hope that helps you a little

Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 3.23.04 AM.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
1) Signed up to www.shieldapp.ai ... below is the Content Report.
  • Interesting how the highest engagement rate was on the latest post which was a simple little 3 line thing.
  • I posted 5 times this week (Mon-Fri) but removed a long Google Ads article I published as a LinkedIn article on Wed. It got very little views and engagement. I like Justin Welsh's thinking that social media is more for discoverability... and that longer articles can be for people who signup to a weekly newsletter or something.
Shield.png

2) I also signed up for Justin Welsh's course and am half way through. It's great - not just because of the content, but also how it's structured. I'll think how to amend my own courses in light of what I've learned.

Here's a link to the course:

I haven't quite figured out exactly why I'm on LinkedIn. Is it to get more Google Ads consulting clients, or to help people get started in business and out of their own way (Iike I seem to be able to do in the forum). Maybe if I focus on the latter then the former will just happen?

3) I'm trying to come up with a banner and headline that allows me to post about more subjects and help more people. I don't just write about Google Ads in the forum.

Someone asked if I needed leads from LinkedIn which was interesting. My reply was No, which is liberating.

Current header and headline:

2022-07-04_09-59-48.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Gawd. I can feel my brain getting scattier logging into social media and looking at my feed.

Logan P

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 6, 2017
New England
Hey Andy! Been, manually, following your thread here for a couple weeks now.

At first, I didn't realize you've been underway with your LinkedIn pursuit for over a year now! Although, if I read one of your recent posts right, it looks like you may have taken a bit of a pause with content creation since September?

Or were you commenting solely on metrics when you said "I've done bugger all on the platform for the past 12 months."?

Either way, I decided I wanted to comment on your thread because -->

1) I'm working on understanding and growing out my LinkedIn presence and am enjoying following your progress at the same time.
2) I couldn't not comment when you mentioned Justin Welsh's course.

It seems anyone who takes LinkedIn seriously eventually purchases Justin's course. I'll be interested to read how his content affects your results w/LinkedIn.

You mentioned Shield.ai too. I took the suggestion to get a plan with them about a month ago and it's incredible how easy it is to get all your content's data and performance in a single dashboard!

Out of interest, something I haven't seen you mention or hint towards in this thread...

Are you posting as you feel or do you use any post scheduling/automation software?

Also, have you made any headway in figuring out what you're looking to accomplish by growing out your presence with the platform?

Those experiencing success with developing new business with LinkedIn seem to share a greatly consistent theme/message.

I've noticed that with their increase in success on the platform they consistently state that they've niched-down further.

And they mention that they have a temporary drop in engagement, metrics, etc., but it eventually rebounds. In the meantime, they end up gaining more leads and closing more clients because of the increased focus on their ideal target client.

Nothing I'm sure you don't already know, but I wonder how that might fit into whatever you're looking to achieve with the platform, if that makes sense!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
you may have taken a bit of a pause with content creation since September?
Yeah, I stopped logging in entirely. I was sick of all the inbox spam. That’s cleared up completely now.

Are you posting as you feel or do you use any post scheduling/automation software?
I’m posting manually and as I feel at the moment. I haven’t a content schedule and am not sure I even want to be that intentional.

Also, have you made any headway in figuring out what you're looking to accomplish by growing out your presence with the platform?
I’m still mulling this over.

My goal isn’t to get clients - I’m busy enough as is and I’ve better ways of getting clients.

My goal isn’t to build an audience either.

I keep thinking I could help more people with the content I’ve already written in the forum. I clearly can’t NOT post every single day, so why not just lean into that and see where it goes?

Oh, and partly because I like figuring stuff out, although I’m wary of that distracting me.

That seems like an odd goal (or lack of goal), but it will do for now. I’m just following my nose and will try to keep posting daily and getting better at writing that entertains, educates, and inspires - without the click-bait, sob-stories, or virtue signalling I’m seeing a lot on the platform.

If client work kicks off I may stop posting immediately, or maybe I’ll just document my journey?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wrote the following a day ago on @MTF 's thread.

I've had lots of inbound leads and new clients in the past few weeks, and none of it related to me mucking about on LinkedIn.

I'm on holiday for the next two weeks and have client work to get on with (aka work that pays the bills).

If I'm honest with myself, me messing about on LinkedIn is part of my itch to figure stuff out. It doesn't help my business, and spreads me thin.

I'll drop LinkedIn for the rest of the year, and continue to ignore YouTube. Neither are income producing activities for me.

I've changed my password to something I don't know and logged out.

Ahhh. Am I allowed only one one-liner? : (

The reason I like one-liners is they're "micro-scripts".

Anyway, here's what springs to mind:

1) Stop building stuff.

I wrote about that in a thread. I even say in that thread to stop building an audience. Not because I think building an audience is a bad thing, but that it's often not your end goal.

2) I like to think that building an audience is a by-product.

... of helping people

... ideally in public

3) It's ok to help people and not get paid.

... just remember if you don't get paid then it's not a business, it's a hobby.

Nothing wrong with that, unless that's not your goal.

Business is simple: Help people. Get paid. Help more people.

Start. Sell. Scale.

4) For those with a wierd relationship with money that somehow feel dirty asking for money or getting paid:

I think it's a noble thing to get paid to help people.

In fact, MJ even says "Money is proof you helped your fellow man."

Imagine you setup a system where the more you helped people the more you got paid and the more people you could help.

Another thought: If you go out of business you can't help anyone. Or you'll help less people.

Are you doing people a disservice by not getting paid so you can build a business that helps even more people?

And what's with people saying it's better to teach a man to fish while simultaneously dissing people who get paid to teach people to fish?

5) Your market is a demonstrated cashflow.

Your market is the people *already* paying money to solve the problem you're also hoping to solve.

What are people *already* spending money on to solve the problem you're also hoping to solve?

If there isn't anything, then how do you know you've got a market?

6) Fulfil demand first before generating demand?

Are there people *already* running around with credit card in hand? Start by selling to them first and then consider generating demand after.

Video:

7) "Don't tell the same people different things. Tell different people the same things."

If you find a few things that really help people, then try and get that in front of more people.

I'm currently on LinkedIn and part of me think's it's dumb hopping on a content treadmill where I post daily. The reason I've not dropped it like a hot snot is because I can't seem to NOT post content daily, so it makes sense to post on an open community like LinkedIn rather than just closed communities like this forum and various Facebook groups. I also think it's interesting to see what resonates with people who don't know me.

Oh, and I already have a bank of content that helps people (in this forum and Facebook groups). Me moving onto LinkedIn is me trying to get that content in front of more people.

8) Work backwards from what seems to be the common advice...

We hear a lot about getting people to an opt-in page where they can signup to an email list, where we send lots of good content, so they then buy some DIY info-product from us, and then a few hire us for our DFY service.

I think that's backwards.

I did it the other way:

I first helped people with a paid DFY consulting service.

I then posted learnings and helped people for free in forums and Facebook groups. This brought more paid DFY consulting clients (typically through referrals from the people in said forums and Facebook groups).

Eventually I was asked to produce courses for those who want to DIY it, by members of those forums and Facebook groups.

I produced courses and they immediately sold (with zero sales copy on the sales page) to the people who already knew, liked, and trusted me, and saw me as a helpful expert in my chosen niche.

Now I have a course/membership/newsletter that I know sells - to people who know, like, and trust me, and see me as a helpful expert in my chosen niche.

So NOW I'm trying to figure out how to get more people to know, like, and trust me, and to see me as a helpful expert in my chosen niche.

Only NOW am I working to create an "audience" of people who might buy what I've already established helps people and I can get paid for.

I've not even got a free email list, or a regular paid email newsletter.

I've not even "done" YouTube to date - I just use it as a hosting platform for videos I can show prospects I've *already* chatted to or messaged. ("Here's a video Mr Prospect that explains this better...")

Some would think I'm working backwards. I think I'm working forwards and everyone else is working backwards.

I've built my DFY consulting and productised services. I've built paid courses for the DIY folks. Now I'm working on getting more people to them so they can ascend from free to paid.

Phew... I knew I'd get on a roll when I started this. I swear I wrote a shorter version for this on Twitter. I'll see if I can dig that out.

PS: James Jani did it completely different. He jumped in, started publishing, got results, followed his nose, built an audience, and then monetised.

Don't you just love business? There's so many ways to skin a cat.

Hope that helps!

Martinisawe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 1, 2020
California
Wrote the following a day ago on @MTF 's thread.

I've had lots of inbound leads and new clients in the past few weeks, and none of it related to me mucking about on LinkedIn.

I'm on holiday for the next two weeks and have client work to get on with (aka work that pays the bills).

If I'm honest with myself, me messing about on LinkedIn is part of my itch to figure stuff out. It doesn't help my business, and spreads me thin.

I'll drop LinkedIn for the rest of the year, and continue to ignore YouTube. Neither are income producing activities for me.

I've changed my password to something I don't know and logged out.
Hey Andy

Do you recommend LinkedIn for someone who's looking to find a job?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey Andy

Do you recommend LinkedIn for someone who's looking to find a job?
Definitely. It's your online CV, and one that recruiters can find when they search for various keywords you might have in your title or bio. Better yet, you'll grow your profile and connect with lots of people over the years.

Martinisawe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 1, 2020
California
Definitely. It's your online CV, and one that recruiters can find when they search for various keywords you might have in your title or bio. Better yet, you'll grow your profile and connect with lots of people over the years.
Oh okay thanks Andy

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
LinkedIn is the only social media I post on.

Frankly I treat it like I would if I had a twitter.

Meaning whatever is on my mind is posted.

Mostly all centered around business and my observations though.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Now that I'm creating YouTube shorts, I thought I'd post them to LinkedIn, Twitter, and ressurect my old Facebook page...

I only posted an hour ago and there's more reactions that I think I'd normally have - some from people who've not reacted to anything for years.

2022-08-15_16-06-54.png

RebornPhoenix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Apr 27, 2020
Netherlands
Thanks for posting the thread, Andy!

I have always - mistakingly - thought that LinkedIn was a job search platform. However, this has really opened my eyes to the marketing potential that exists.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It's a bit geeky, but I wanted to post this today in response to someone on Twitter saying Google's taken away our ability to use manual CPCs when setting up Google Ads campaigns.

My first LinkedIn carousel:

Also created as a Twitter thread:

View: https://twitter.com/AndyBlackJnr/status/1585783784636555265?s=20&t=DgMPG75VEjFd9UoMRIublA

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So a 1st connection who I'd never chatted to or messaged spotted my posts on LinkedIn recently.

Two months ago he started in a new company as Head of Growth and realised they needed Google Ads help.

We hopped on a Zoom with his marketing manager where I looked over their shoulder at their account.
(Exactly like I describe here.)

They became a €3k/mth consulting client this week.

All through the power of me being positioned as "The XYZ Guy" in his mind.

Note that most of my recent LinkedIn posts have NOT even been about Google Ads. Google Ads is sprinkeld into those posts and it's enough to put me top of mind with someone who already knows what I do.

Note that I didn't need a website for this either. Maybe he checked it out as part of his due diligence, but it's equally likely he didn't. The conversation started in LinkedIn DMs and then we took it to Zoom.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I just replied to someone in the forum and thought I'd post it to LinkedIn.
  • The forum post is HERE.
  • The LinkedIn post is HERE.
  • The Twitter thread is HERE.

I also posted to my personal Facebook profile in case it might help someone.

I just posted it as text. I'll observe to see if it gets engagement and sparks a conversation. If it doesn't then it's been no real extra effort. I've already helped one person in the forum with the reply.

"Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person closest to you."
(Mother Theresa)

@NeoDialectic @fastlane_dad ... simple enough right?

Screenshot of the post on LinkedIn:
2022-12-09_14-35-42.png

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.