The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Figuring Out LinkedIn

Learn how to build wealth and win financial freedom the Fastlane way!

Say "NO" to mediocre living rife with jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs who are making it happen.
Join for FREE Today
Get the books
Remove ads? Join Fastlane INSIDERS
(Registration removes this block)
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
€15 spent in a few hours (with a budget of €10/day) and only two Likes on the post. I checked the profiles of both people and they don't even have a photo uploaded never mind a banner. I've paused the ad campaign.

This looks like it'll be more of a content treadmill. I don't mind. I write every day and it can be a store of my content instead of just keeping it in Google Keep.

I'm sure there's optimisation that can be done, but if I was to spend money on ads then I'd rather do Google Ads and/or YouTube Ads. I have zero interest in grinding it out while learning a new paid channel.

2022-06-21_21-20-07.png

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Someone Liked this post in the forum last night and I thought I'd post it to LinkedIn:

Here's what it looks like:

2022-06-22_07-48-51.png

The post yesterday didn't do well:
  • Too educational? Too boring?
  • Maybe the headline was too clumsy?
  • Or maybe I could have written a long post that started with "Sell people what they're already looking for."?
  • I can always try it again in a few weeks.

2022-06-22_07-51-27.png

Watching this graph with interest:

2022-06-22_07-55-09.png

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Someone Liked this post in the forum last night and I thought I'd post it to LinkedIn:

Here's what it looks like:

View attachment 44122

The post yesterday didn't do well:
  • Too educational? Too boring?
  • Maybe the headline was too clumsy?
  • Or maybe I could have written a long post that started with "Sell people what they're already looking for."?
  • I can always try it again in a few weeks.

View attachment 44123

Watching this graph with interest:

View attachment 44124
Hi Andy thank you this post was needed.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So the LinkedIn feed is just a slightly more professional 'Money Twitter'?
Lol. I hadn’t thought of it. I’d say it’s less bro marketer and if anything maybe too corporate speak.

The LinkedIn feed is noisy alright, but I like that posts can be longer on LinkedIn and aren’t those infernal Twitter threads.

There’s no anon accounts on LinkedIn either, which I prefer.

Last week someone messaged me saying he was also dropping Twitter as he found there were too many “true but useless” posts. I thought that was funny, and know exactly what he means.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
1) Stats from post yesterday:
  • Not bad for my recent posts.
  • What would make it better?
    Maybe a more topical image catching latest trends (see previous post where I came across a post that went viral)?

2022-06-23_08-23-29.png

2) 90 day impressions:
  • Dumb graph btw... they should just stop at that peak and not drop it to zero for today just because they don't have data for today yet.

2022-06-23_08-26-50.png

3) Did some work this morning and sent a note to our developer.
  • Created a post on a Speedway thread HERE.
  • Sent it as an email newsletter to members of my paid course membership.
  • Posted it to LinkedIn just now.
  • I don't expect it to do as well as yesterday's post, but I'd created the content already so thought I'd repurpose it.
  • Posted to Twitter too as a thread... although I don't think it'll get any engagement.
1655978090525.png

4) Wow. Loads of connections have started messaging me for the first time in 5-10 years.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thought I'd try creating an article. I've seen some LinkedIn articles indexed on Google when searching. Maybe LinkedIn articles can also get visitors from Google?

I took this forum thread:

And posted it as a LinkedIn article an hour ago (at about 12:00 noon):

2022-06-24_13-21-29.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Damn. I should have mentioned this but forgot because it didn’t feel like a big deal…

Someone reached out last week asking to have a paid consultation about how Google Ads could help his two business offerings. I suggested we just hop on a call and chat.

We did that two days ago. I’m out of practice chatting to folks and talked a bit longer than needed.

At the end of the call he wanted to know how to hire me and I pushed back, suggesting he do keyword and competitor research like I’d just showed him. He didn’t get offended… lol. We’ve messaged a bit since and I see him still Liking my posts.

Anyway, he was probably already a 1st tier connection (of which I have many), but this just shows the power of gently reminding people you’re still there and what you do.

Why did I forget about this “result” from my week back on LinkedIn?

I wasn’t even thinking about getting people on calls or getting clients when I was posting to LinkedIn.

Maybe that’s why it happened?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My profile at the moment:

LinkedIn profile.png
2022-06-25_22-26-04.png

I'll create a couple more articles so I can add them to the Featured area:

2022-06-25_22-03-34.png

Impressions over the last 90 days:

2022-06-25_22-25-34.png

You can see I've done bugger all on the platform for the past 12 months.
The Job Titles I'm getting impressions for is interesting.

2022-06-25_22-31-12.png

Thought this video was very interesting. It's taking what I do naturally to another level and being systematic about it.

Basically... post content and reach out to who engages. They're "warm" and should already know who you are.

A smart strategy she discusses is to comment early on posts by big accounts your ideal prospects follow. This is a common Twitter growth strategy that I didn't bother with. I might have a think about adding high value comments on other people's posts. Now I think about it, I comment in the forum way more than I create new threads.

So my homework:
  • Who do I want to get my content in front of?
  • Who do they already follow?

Which reminds me of that favourite from Jay Abraham:

"Who already has your customers?"

View: https://youtu.be/BjTNuLrIIlA

EDIT: On second thoughts I think that's a distraction.
  • I've already got over 11k followers, albeit that grew over 10 years and I've been super quiet for the last couple of years (so my current reach is probably very low).
  • I've a bank of content on the forum, and I can recreate a lot of it on LinkedIn without needing to write anything new for a few years probably!
  • I think at the moment I should focus on creating a process to take threads/posts from the forum and publish to LinkedIn.

EDIT 2: Created this Google Sheet from this URL:

Posting schedule.png

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Was watching a LinkedIn course on Skillshare last night.

Here's a slide. I can soooo do this.

Post hook.png

Here's a post I saw with a black and white graphic AND a hook:

B&W image with hook.png

I posted a black and white graphic a while back, but didn't create a hook and there was no reason for people to "...see more" (and there was nothing more to read anyway!).

B&W image without hook.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I posted this morning without an image and without a decent hook. 300+ impressions and no engagements.

I deleted it then reposted with an image, and a better hook. 1 engagement out of 26 impressions so far.

This is so different than posting in a forum. I've clearly a lot to learn!

Saving this to watch later (thanks for sharing @bfmcneill):

a content matrix will solve your problem. The basic idea is you have topics you are trying to rank for down the left of a spreadsheet and content types across the top. Set aside two good hours when you are primed for making content and start picking intersections of topics and content types.

*** note ***
I watch this video, they talk about creating content in the context of LinkedIn but I imagine it is a similar tactic for news letters.

*** also note ***
I am new here, if the links are a problem please don't ban me, I have no affiliation with this guy, I thought it might help @Madame Peccato

Video explains it better, the guy did some free training on youtube for teachable and shared the methodology. Here is the official source | youtube link | content matrix template

The YouTube video I linked there is queued up to the timestamp about 33 minutes in so you can skip a bunch of other crap. also here is a picture if you don't want to watch the video segment

hope that helps you a little

Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 3.23.04 AM.png

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Must Read Books...

Explore books recommended by MJ DeMarco and other members of the Fastlane entrepreneurial community.
Fastlane Bookstore