The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Feeling the Fear and Doing it Anyway: Beginning Entrepreneurship with Web Design

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Goldfels

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Oct 29, 2020
I bought @Fox 's Freelancing Course four days ago and I've been trying to take notes and fully get the ideas in the course between school and work. A lot of it has me scared. Scared I will mess up on a sales call and not get the sale. Scared a design for a client will not be good enough. Scared that I don't know enough to fulfill a client's needs and that need to spend more time practicing before I go prospecting or get on a sales call.

I realized this fear is extremely similar to what I've felt back in high school and feel now in college. Fears of failure, inadequacy, and loss.

I don't want to turn this 'Execution' post into a 'Mindset' post so I'll keep it brief: I'll attempt to temper my fears by marking my journey in this Execution post. I'll make an effort to update it weekly on Fridays. I anticipate this thread will illustrate that many of the fears I feel throughout this journey are unfounded, and will also help me glean some insight as to how I can better operate my mind and my business. Who knows, maybe someone here will get a principle or idea from this thread!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
No matter if you get a sale or not, conquering the fear and venturing off into the unknown is a WIN. So no matter what happens, be proud of your progress in that department.

Stargazer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 8, 2018
England
Pretend you are a Lawn Care Company and then just make your own website. (Or something else that does not require anything too advanced)

Then phone a Lawn Care Company near you with an oldish looking website and say you are a student who had to make a local business website for a school project but obviously you aren't a Lawn Care Company so can I just give it to you for nothing?

Pretty stress free right? You phoning someone and offering to give them something for nothing no strings attached. And your explanation makes logical sense to them too so no friction there.

It only needs to look something like this which you can see is old but they get plenty of work that they employ 10 people.

Guess you saw it so I have removed it now.

Then phone a Lawn Care Company for real and it wont seem so bad. You have genuinely made a web site for a real business in the same field and they were very happy with the work. No need for you to over explain why that was.

Then work your skillset up as it really doesn't matter what the website looks like unless the business is driving traffic to it.

Dan

PS: By the way that website is nothing to do with me, I will edit the post to remove it sometime tomorrow morning (It is evening here right now) so hopefully you get the gist before.

Last edited:

Goldfels

Contributor
Oct 29, 2020
Week 1 Summary: Stagnation

This week I did not get much done, maybe 3-4 hours of watching @Fox 's content on YouTube and in the course when I had time. This was due in part to my own procrastination (video games) as well as assignments and jobs that needed to be done and drew time away from progressing in the course.

Next Week's Plan: Systematize my learning
I plan on creating set times for learning and executing the content laid out in the course from now on. This will limit my procrastination and still leave me time to do the assignments and work I need to do to graduate from college this summer.

Goldfels

Contributor
Oct 29, 2020
Week 2 Summary: Some progress, still more to do...

Got Fox's recent Web Dev book (Good book by the way for anyone on the forum. The principles @Fox puts in that book are useful outside of web design). Read through that in two days and have been ruminating on the principles discussed whilst making it through Section 3 of the freelancing course.

Next Week's Plan: With my schedule freeing up next week, I plan on finishing up the whole course if possible. In the interim, I am working through the Codeacademy curriculum for HTML and CSS. I plan on finishing both of those this next week and starting on the recommended Udemy course to flesh out my skills some. If I get through all of this before next Friday, I'll start prospecting some friends so I can do some pro bono web design, so that way I can build my network of potential businesses to sell to, and build my skills along the way.

Goldfels

Contributor
Oct 29, 2020
Week 3 Summary: First Clients! And more insights.

Despite the heavy amount of work that I needed to do for college this week, I made some progress in the freelancing course and Codeacademy courses for HTML and CSS. I also managed to get my first two clients! I asked my roommate if I could make him his own page just to get going in web design. His girlfriend found out and ended up asking me to make a site to increase sales for her Etsy shop that she plans on expanding!

Both are being done for free but I'm glad I have something to cut my teeth on starting next week!

Next Week's Plan: I plan on finishing up the freelancing course this next week since next week I have a lighter expected load of work for college (thank God I'm graduating soon). I'll finish up the last two or three sections of the Codeacademy courses, go through the recommended Udemy course for web design, and get started on those two clients!

Last edited:

Goldfels

Contributor
Oct 29, 2020
Week 4 Summary: Interference, but with progress nonetheless

This week was tough to get anything outside of school done. Lots of work and lots of screw-up in several projects (some because of my actions, many that were out of my control) caused me to pull time I dedicated to learning from the course into my school work. While I get the feeling that this will continue until I graduate, I don't think I should stop doing the course and resume after graduation. Even progress, however little, is progress.

The "progress" I made this week was digitizing my notes and making more inferences and syntheses on an app called Notion.so (not a plug, just a super cool notetaking app I've found useful for college and beyond). I am not sure if @Fox wants me spilling the beans too much on the course content, but a good synthesis I had in the prospecting section was a fourth reason we can pitch to businesses for a website design project, and that is that we can not only increase sales, sales frequency and new customers, but also allow for new systems to automate or ease the workload for the business (like FAQs, Contact Pages, Downloadable fact sheets, etc.). Basically the systems would eliminate a common pained workload for the business owner, freeing up their time to do more productive things. While this is not directly related to sales, it is indirectly related, as more time spent on the business and less on answering common questions, facts about the business, etc.

Next Week's Plan: I do not think I can finish the course before I graduate, but I will make an effort to continue through the course until I do. This week will be on Section 2 (Sales), as I am going in a logical order from prospecting, to sales, to proposal, to web design. Additionally, if I have time, I am going to talk with my two "clients" about their projects and what content they have/is needed for their websites (pictures, copy, trust-building content, etc.)

Goldfels

Contributor
Oct 29, 2020
Week 5 Summary: Another module completed. Lots learned.

Persistence is key. I took whatever time I could this last week and tried to make it through the prospecting portion of the course, as well as cross-referencing it with other resources and practicing networking. Working on getting into a BNI chapter and Toastmasters chapter for my grad school location (since I'm graduating in two weeks it made no sense to look for chapters in my alma mater's location). Started networking through my LinkedIn for more potential clients (mostly from high school, some from college also look promising).

Next Week's Plan: Continue on with the Sales and Proposals sections of the course (in addition to reading SPIN Selling when possible). Thankfully all of my assignments will be done by Wednesday next week, so I may have some time to dip into the last two sections of the freelancing course.

I'm making progress. I can feel it.

Capitalist_Cat

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Great! Loving the learning.
But what are you doing to get sales? Or at least preparing to get sales? You can spend some time finding potential clients, maybe if you’re not ready to call you’re not ready. But if you end up collecting the leads info now, then when you’re done learning, you can hop into a call almost immediately.

Everyday you’re not reaching out to prospects, is another day they miss the chance to attract a bunch of customers. You want your clients to have food on the table right?

Get to it!

Last edited:

Goldfels

Contributor
Oct 29, 2020
Great? Loving the learning.
But what are you doing to get sales? Or at least preparing to get sales? You can spend some time finding potential clients, maybe if you’re not ready to call you’re not ready. But if you end up collecting the leads info now, then when you’re done learning, you can hop into a call almost immediately.

Everyday you’re not reaching out to prospects, is another day they miss the chance to attract a bunch of customers. You want your clients to have food on the table right?

Get to it!
Gotcha. Thanks for the support. I guess for me I'm still in the prospecting stage. I have four clients (friends and family) that I am able to do some (mostly free) work for after graduation, and they are understanding that I'm only going to be able to work on these projects full time after graduation. The time I am spending up until then is honing my knowledge of the whole web design process: Sales, prospecting, proposals, and yes, web design. I am doing this with books, exercises, the coursework and working on the 4 client projects when I have time. When I have free time not related to the course or college (which is rare), I am looking for more clients that I think would be a good fit despite my lack of proven results thus far in my freelancing career.

I know I'm going at a slow pace on the right track in terms of projects, but that pace will pick up significantly after graduation, especially since I've got 4 clients I can get to work for straight away.

Goldfels

Contributor
Oct 29, 2020
Week 6 Summary: Two more to go; Applications of sales.

Got through the sales section of the course and almost finished with SPIN Selling (maybe a day left). I was surprised how much I was learning in both the course and the book can be applied outside of a corporate or business setting. I "sold" a topic change for one of my course papers by using the principles in SPIN Selling and the course. I "sold" the idea of a friend and I changing a portion of our senior design documentation using these principles. Granted these aren't really "sales" in the traditional sense since there is not a monetary transaction. Sales really is a powerful skill everyone should learn!

Next Week's Plan: Finish SPIN Selling, start proposal section. I will not make much progress this next week as this is finals and graduation week (lots of studying, moving out, ceremonies, celebrations, etc.). After this, I can expect higher qualitative and quantitative results to put on these weekly posts, as well as some non-weekly posts as well.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Goldfels

Contributor
Oct 29, 2020
Week 7 Summary: Finals and Graduation
As expected, I have had little time for progress this week outside of nighttime reading and markings of SPIN Selling, but THANK GOD I'm graduating tomorrow.

Next Week's Plan: Everything. Finish the course. Finish SPIN Selling. Start 2/4 free client websites. Prospect 9 potential clients. Maybe if things work out I get a sale from a prospective client.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
@Fox It's same with me Did both quiz and application but as yet no automatic confirmation, just...
MARKETPLACE 7 Days To Freedom: From Wantrepreneur/Wage Slave To Freelancer
freelance is cool. but to own a business is like freedom. A newsletter I'm subscribed to gave...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
If you are in IDEA mode, text "IDEA" to the above number. If you are in LAUNCH/START mode, text...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
I have a long weekend off work.. bought your "Start a Freelance Business: Take Back Your...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
If there’s one thread I see repeated over and over again on the forum, it goes like this: “I...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...

Forum Sponsor

Over 100 Fastlane Students
More Details...

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom