The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

FB PPE Ads - All likes.. no conversions

Marketing, social media, advertising

mclaren

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 8, 2016
Nearly everybody seems to suggest starting off with PPE ads until you're getting tens of conversions per day for your pixel to work properly. From my experience, jumping straight to website conversions has proven much more effective. With website conversions, I'll actually get what I want... a person to buy the product. With PPE, I'll get a ton of likes and reactions... but no conversions. I was split testing this for a few days and found that the PPE campaign cost me the same amount per CLICK as an entire conversion did for website conversion. So I'm very confused why people keep suggesting this? I see where it might be useful, but for eCommerce it doesn't seem to make much sense to me?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I've never seen anyone suggest the engagement objective for website conversions, at least not since the new FB pixel launched.

I would definitely try creating a campaign around the conversions objective and see how that goes. Also, make sure your pixel is active.

Facebook algorithm likes to self correct, so if your objective is engagements, it thinks it's doing a good job and will keep delivering to people who will like and comment.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Run conversion objectives - screw what everyone else is suggesting. Do what works for you.

mclaren

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 8, 2016
I've never seen anyone suggest the engagement objective for website conversions, at least not since the new FB pixel launched.

I would definitely try creating a campaign around the conversions objective and see how that goes. Also, make sure your pixel is active.

Facebook algorithm likes to self correct, so if your objective is engagements, it thinks it's doing a good job and will keep delivering to people who will like and comment.
Maybe I'm reading outdated information then. But nearly everything I've read is "start a campaign off with PPE until you get tens of conversions per day, THEN switch to website conversion because your pixel is now optimized."

Like I said, the cost for one click to my website via PPE was $8... The cost per conversion via WC was $7...

Run conversion objectives - screw what everyone else is suggesting. Do what works for you.
I'll be sticking to WC now, regardless of the # of sales since that seems to be working best for me. I'm just not sure why everybody was recommending doing the opposite though, especially when the results were abysmal for me.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
I'm very confused why people keep suggesting this?
100k summed up my thoughts on the matter perfectly:
screw what everyone else is suggesting. Do what works

The guys who suggest this crap are "gurus". The biggest names in the biz right now all spew the same crap when behind the scenes they don't even follow their own advice and their campaigns/businesses aren't what everyone thinks it is. I stopped following what others were doing after I spent tons of money going to meetups/masterminds/etc with the top of the top in Facebook advertising. I spent a LOT split testing all the different variations of what's being said out there.

With all that, I've found that it's all BS. What might work for one, has no guarantee it will work for you and more than likely wont.

The main key with FB is to toss up as much as you can and see what works. Be willing to put the time into creating LOTS of ads and landers and put the money behind it to test them all properly.

Even guru entrepreneurs seem to spew their own version of "the script". Congrats on seeing the light through their clouds of confusion.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Yeah paying for engagements only is overrated. You will be way better off starting right away with what you're after, conversions, or at the very least clicks to site or leads that you can do something with.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
PPC has a higher probability of engagement, which means people are likely to share and comment. It depends on your product. I had 2 sales in my last ecommerce store using PPC using IG.
WC costs more initially and the reason why people say to start with PPE is because PPE helps to give you some feedback whether or not your product is a hit or dud from people who are likely to engage.

But regardless of the logic or reasoning, everything in PPC is testing. So if WC works for you, then WC it is.

cor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
May 8, 2016
The World
Sounds like the ad did its job to me. You paid for engagement, Facebook got you engagement.

I'm a big believer in the effectiveness of Facebook's ad algorithm. Once you have a warm Purchase conversion pixel and an optimized Ad Set, the world is yours.

G

GuestUser450

So I'm very confused why people keep suggesting this? I see where it might be useful, but for eCommerce it doesn't seem to make much sense to me?

People start with PPE for 2 big reasons: 1. To collect data to boost WC, i.e., running PPE to find out who's engaging, age group, gender, etc. then using that information to hit WC hard. And 2. The virality aspect - ppe ads can go viral.

Neither good nor bad just different methods for different objectives.

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
Jon Loomer Digital

This is the only guy I listen to on FB. Every other guru just regurgitates his content. Don't need his courses either, all his info is on his blog.

PPE I only use to get enough positive feedback on the advert so the few who dislike it don't jeopardise the ad rating. I only use WC and have great success in them. You can use PPE to get metrics so run that at the same time for the first few days. But for example it might say age 30 is optimum on PPE but then hardly any thirty year olds convert. But you should be split testing your ads so instead of running one ad with broad targeting, run 10 with different ages, genders etc.

When you want to scale I have more success duping my WC adverts than doubling the budget to the current one, also.

FB are pretty sneaky in getting ad revenue these days.

The biggest tip I have for you is always use Power Editor to create an ad. Never make an ad through "boost post" it always performs terrible for me.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
... but I thought I had to season my pixel? :playful::playful:

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
In my case, the objectives haven't made a difference because people find out about me through FB but they don't convert from FB. They always search me on Google or they go directly to my site & thats how they convert.

I think PPE is good for getting lots of likes, comments & shares on your ad to build up social proof. That gets people interested & wondering the the hell is going here. Then they start looking you up & checking you out.

An ad, with lots of engagement will always be more intriguing than an ad with 0 engagement....especially to cold audiences.

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
To add to that, engagement is one of the the most important 3 things FB look for when they assign high quality traffic to you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.