The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Halloween Trend Project

CRBFL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 9, 2007
I got this idea from Kimber:
Well, if you want to get some indication of what the kiddies are into,
ask your trick-or-treat'ers.
I usually ask them a single question
like "what is your favorite candy?" or their fave toy.

Why don't all of us do a little bit of quick surveying on Halloween on these two questions. We'll all come here and compile/compare and see if we can identify a few trends that are going to boom during the holiday shopping season.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CRBFL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 9, 2007
Nobody want to play?

CRBFL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 9, 2007
It's here for anyone that wants to follow it. I've been pushing it around the net this morning, but if anyone else wants to join in I think we could possibly learn something.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Chuck,

Nice idea but I typically bail-out on Halloween and hit the library or book store. Yea, I'm a party-pooper. Or, I go to my mother's and let her handle all the kiddies.

CRBFL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 9, 2007
I figured there would be a bit of that. Either way, I'll see what kind of participation I get from around the net and post the results. If I figure out another Tickle Me Elmo or Furby on the horizon I'll get one now and mail it to you as thanks for the forum:)

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
I'm going to a party this evening that will have little kids 2-7 & tweens & young teens 11-13 I will report my responses.
Janet

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
Chuck,

Nice idea but I typically bail-out on Halloween and hit the library or book store. Yea, I'm a party-pooper. Or, I go to my mother's and let her handle all the kiddies.

You need to get a big wall and gate around your house, so they can't get in to knock on the door.

CRBFL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 9, 2007
You need to get a big wall and gate around your house, so they can't get in to knock on the door.

A moat. And sharks with freakin laser beams on their foreheads!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Sadly, we really don't get many kids running around the neighborhoods these days where I live.

We actually bought lots of candy the past 3 years, and got only one or two trick or treaters (one year we didn't get any!) :(

Out here, it's all malls and a special day where you go to the downtown merchants that have orange and black balloons outside.

I was just lamenting to my wife last night about how our kids will be missing the fun we had as kids and ran from door to door, trick or treating, comparing our booty with other kids, asking where the best houses here ("1479 Pemberton is giving out full size candy bars!", or "1200 Ross is giving out DIMES!" (remember, this was in the 1960s, before the invention of fire, when 10¢ bought, like, a house or something). :smxB:

-Russ H.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
2-5 year olds: sponge bob junk
Skittles

11-14 year olds: these kids were rude & mean and spent the entire time torturing each other with insults & threats. If there is some video game that involves masochistic tendencies I would say it would go over with these kids. I only saw them eating chips & dip didn't show much interest in the candy or sweets & drank all the Big Red then turned up their noses as the Dr Pepper.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

In the last 5 years I've noticed that the kiddies don't come around (5-9 years old) and its mostly loud, obnoxious teenagers. As for the big wall and gate, I can't even get my floor redone properly let alone installation of a security perimeter.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I live in a family neighborhood, but even here there are less then 10 groups per night(and mostly teens at that). I remember as a kid over 80 groups would stop by. Many with half full pillow cases. Bragging rights. The big thing now is trick or treating at downtown shops for families with young ones. Much less worries about tainted candy or pedophiles. To many spooky(and not in a fun way) people out there in the neighborhoods I guess.

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
We're in a city and people don't send their kids around... so go figure?!?! Obviously, the PARENTS don't want candy from strangers!!

I've sold toys at times and back then I was more into "what's hot" but now I'm planning to give my leftover toys to the firehouse next door to my storage unit for their "Toys for Tots" campaign this Christmas. I think the firemen will really like it! :)

rico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
I've always wanted to setup a plasma tv behind my front door. Then when the kids come knocking, open the door slowly and play a clip from the Saw movie with Jigsaw saying

"Hello Children... I want to play a game...."

saw_horz.jpg

:smx1:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Nothing happening in my hood.... all go to the malls these days. Probably I will be going there as well.

RE Taipan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 28, 2007
Balboa Island, CA
HA...7th year in a row...not a single kid a knockin' on the door!!!

....and to think that the human sized bug zapper was only $39.95....

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
HA...7th year in a row...not a single kid a knockin' on the door!!!

....and to think that the human sized bug zapper was only $39.95....

Sometimes you make me wonder..:)

My kiddo went trick or treating...just so he could donate the candy to a local church that accepts candy after halloween. He is 8 and doesn't eat the stuff.

Sue

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Got about 40 kids last night.
Strange split in demographics,
either they were too young to say more than trick or treat
(and once in the house, yes in the house, wouldn't leave)
or they were taller than I was (pretty darn scary).

So basically I had a group that couldn't talk
and a group that wouldn't talk.

I didn't get a lot of useful information
except that the troopers love Smarties (the more cheerful M&M)
and stickers
and most were dressed up as either superheroes or princesses or animals
(lions and ladybugs -
btw do NOT call a ladybug a butterfly, they don't appreciate it).

The big kids were trick or treating with their iPods on
so they didn't contribute anything to the study
except that every single one had an iPod and a cellphone.

CRBFL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 9, 2007
Yeah the study, while well intentioned, was a bust. No comments on my site. Kimber was the only one with any results. I had zero. Ohh well, thanks for following everyone.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yeah the study, while well intentioned, was a bust. No comments on my site. Kimber was the only one with any results. I had zero. Ohh well, thanks for following everyone.

Pardon me, but when you said it didn't go well, the screenwriter in me pictured this:

Doorbell: Ding-Dong
[chuck answers door]

Children: TRICK OR TREAT!!!!

Chuck: Well hello Children! [Grabs bowl of candy] So tell me, what kinds of exciting toys are you kids looking to get from Santa at Christmas???

Children: Hey F*ckface, just give us the F*cking candy!

;):smilielol:

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Well, I've been thinking about this a little bit more,
especially how to get through to the teens.

Trick or Treating is pretty darn embarrassing for an older kid
yet I had swarms of teenagers, even dressed up,
at my door,
battling that embarrassment for free candy.

That flies in the face of what people have been telling me
about how teenagers get everything they want
and don't have to work for anything.

Plus they are so linked to each other...
once one or two saw I had good candy,
I got more kids (word of mouth marketing) quickly.
(Ours is a dead end street, they have to think about going down it).

So free works, especially if it is something free they want
(and it doesn't have to be a big free,
I was giving out 30 cents worth of candy).

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio
Sadly, we really don't get many kids running around the neighborhoods these days where I live.

We actually bought lots of candy the past 3 years, and got only one or two trick or treaters (one year we didn't get any!) :(

Out here, it's all malls and a special day where you go to the downtown merchants that have orange and black balloons outside.

I was just lamenting to my wife last night about how our kids will be missing the fun we had as kids and ran from door to door, trick or treating, comparing our booty with other kids, asking where the best houses here ("1479 Pemberton is giving out full size candy bars!", or "1200 Ross is giving out DIMES!" (remember, this was in the 1960s, before the invention of fire, when 10¢ bought, like, a house or something). :smxB:

-Russ H.

Russ,
I remember those good times as well. Be careful with the word "booty." It means something different today. Especially in the context of "comparing our booty with the other kids.":)

MrDoctor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 13, 2007
I think the Nintendo Wii is still going to be hot. I don't know why, but it will be. Nintendo DS/gameboy systems are always hard to find during the holiday season. Last year I practically bought out an entire Costco store! I made big money off of the Playstation 3 also. People amaze me. I sold the TMX Elmo's for $100 per and paid only $40.

But, you won't know what's "hot" until mid November. I am always quizzing my nieces and newphews.

And BTW, surveys are great, but not accurate.

This may sound silly, but I used to re-sell shoes. My brother is a friend of a shoe store owners son, and I always get the "hot" Michael Jordan Nike's before release date. They would sell for double the price. Ah, you have to love the consumer. Around December, Jordan Brand/ Nike release limited edition Jordan shoes which everyone teenager wants.

CRBFL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 9, 2007
Pardon me, but when you said it didn't go well, the screenwriter in me pictured this:

Doorbell: Ding-Dong
[chuck answers door]

Children: TRICK OR TREAT!!!!

Chuck: Well hello Children! [Grabs bowl of candy] So tell me, what kinds of exciting toys are you kids looking to get from Santa at Christmas???

Children: Hey F*ckface, just give us the F*cking candy!

;):smilielol:

Not a single little crumb snatcher. That's what went wrong.:smx8:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!