The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Fasting Friends

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
There are a lot of people on the forum interested in intermittent fasting as one of the top threads in this subforum shows.

I decided to start a new thread for those who are interested in exploring longer fasting, beyond the usual 16/8 (16 hours fasting, 8-hour window of eating) or 20/4 (20 hours fasting, 4 hours for eating) protocol.

@Sander and I are doing a 3-day fast starting this Wednesday, which means the last meal on Tuesday and the next one on Saturday. @Brian Suh is doing a 4-day fast. In the same hyperlinked thread, @JordanS plans a 3-day fast and @brockzilla and his wife are doing a 7- and 10-day fast respectively. You can join any of us now or set a different date and find a Fastlane Fasting Friend to fast with you.

Anyone else interested in doing a 3-day fast with @Sander and me starting this Wednesday? Let me sell you on the idea:
  • Eating takes a lot of time out of your day - shopping, prepping, cooking, eating, cleaning up, etc. During the fast, you'll free up at least 2 additional hours a day, if not more. This can be a great time to set more ambitious goals for your business because it will be like getting a free workday.
  • It's a great exercise for self-discipline, one of the keys to success. There's @Fox's thread about a 75-day challenge that shows how important this skill is for everything in life. After going without food for 3 days, other willpower challenges will be easier.
  • You'll lose some weight. A lot of it will be water weight you'll regain, but there will be some fat loss, too (based on my experience, it should be at least 1-3 pounds, or 0.5-1.5 kg). While on a fast, particularly the second and third day, it might be a good time to go hang out at the beach (with a bottle of water only) as your physique will be much more defined. Who knows, maybe you'll see your abs for the first time in your life :)
  • You'll reset your body as you won't be supplying any of the crap coming from processed foods. Your body will begin the process of autophagy (self-eating), which sounds scary, but in reality is desirable as it will clean out damaged cells to replace them with new, healthier ones. Your insulin levels will drop and inflammation will reduce. It might help improve your physical appearance (reduce acne, redness, etc.). Here's an article on the 5 stages of prolonged fasting.
  • You'll gain more mental clarity and improve your relationship with food. After a fast, even a very simple meal will taste incredibly and junk food will probably taste strange, if not way too sweet/salty/greasy, etc. This can help you rebuild your diet from the ground up.
  • You'll probably have some weird vivid dreams, which is trippy, but also fun.
  • Perhaps for the first time in your life, you'll feel true hunger, not fake hunger you feel in between meals. It's a humbling experience that will help you understand the struggles of those less lucky who are forced to fast.
  • You already have two guys who will hold you accountable and share the experience with you. It's much easier to do it with someone else also doing it at the same time.
  • It's a simple challenge that, even if you decide not to repeat it, will be a cool experience. You'll be able to brag that you once went without food for 3 days :)
We're doing a water-only fast, so you'll also cycle off your caffeine intake if you drink coffee or tea daily.

If you're in, you still have two days to plan ahead, including eating any food you have that would have spoiled by the end of your fast, scheduling tasks you'll perform while fasting, and letting others know that you won't be available for dinners (or any eating out for that matter) for three days.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I’m in for Wednesday to Friday, been flirting with the idea of a health kick in the bum for too long :thumbsup: My GF doesn’t think I’ll make it past lunch on Wednesday haha.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Cool, @Bearcorp, let's do this! We'll make sure you last until Saturday and your GF will feel bad that she doubted you.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
So this 3 day fast... No food nothing just water...for 3 days....

I couldn't even make 1 day on the Andy frisella challenge...

I guess I'm a weak jelly fish, so I'm gonna go for it.

3 day fast just water.

I'll use this thread as support.

Any advice on how to deal with getting hangry?

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Wish you all the best.

Once I’m done with the 75 challenge I’ll be over here for sure.

We used to do these as a kid in NZ for charity - I think it was for 40 hours. The school would fast and there would a sleep over at the school and everything. I doubt they would allow that nowadays haha!

I’ll be watching this thread.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014

Keep your mind busy. If you just sit around doing nothing, all you can think about is eating.

Try to keep your mind activated, and you won't have time to be hangry.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Great idea @MTF!

I'm thinking about joining you all on the three day fast.

Another benefit is that autophagy helps to remove precancerous cells.

If you're a coffee addict, consider caffeine pills.

Yes, there are a lot of studies but pretty much all of them in vitro or on animals so it's hard to say with certainty it's anti-cancer, but it makes sense that the process of killing damaged cells would help slow down aging and reduce the risk of cancer.

3 day fast just water.

Like @Sander said, staying busy is very important. Other than that, IMO it's just all in your head. Have more water, do something fun, write a post in this thread, or just relax.

I think that being hangry is often a sign that a person eats more for emotional reasons than from a pure physical need (which is common today, I myself often eat for emotional reasons, too, hence an occasional longer fast is helpful to break this association).

Wish you all the best.

We used to do these as a kid in NZ for charity - I think it was for 40 hours. The school would fast and there would a sleep over at the school and everything. I doubt they would allow that nowadays haha!

What a cool idea. It would be very useful for modern children who are often too accustomed to comfort.

Ben Taylor

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Dec 7, 2015
I'm in, especially when I saw this.

We're doing a water-only fast, so you'll also cycle off your caffeine intake if you drink coffee or tea daily.

I was afraid it was going to be a dry fast and, having done both, I would easily prefer a 3-day water fast to a 1-day dry fast. No question.

But it's not, so I'm in!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Welcome onboard, @Ben Taylor.

Yeah, I don't think that a dry fast is that safe. It would be definitely extremely unpleasant compared to a water fast.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
I will join you guys for this fast. I have been considering removing caffeine from my diet as well, now that I have been off nicotine for about a week. I'm already doing OMAD/Keto for the 75Hard challenge, I know I'm up to this as well. Do you have any other stipulations, or can we still supplement with salt & potassium in our water + regular supplements?

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
How much water are you aiming for per day @MTF? Or do you just drink when you're thirsty?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I have been considering removing caffeine from my diet as well, now that I have been off nicotine for about a week. I'm already doing OMAD/Keto for the 75Hard challenge, I know I'm up to this as well.

Nice, glad you're joining! We have 7 people already (my girlfriend also wants to try), possibly 8 if @Rawseed joins as well.

Do you have any other stipulations, or can we still supplement with salt & potassium in our water + regular supplements?

I think that minerals are fine as you can also drink mineral water for that (this, by the way, is a cool hack: in addition to drinking tap water, you can also buy bottled mineral water - they all have a slightly different taste so you'll have some variety).

As for other supplements, depends what it is but 3 days is short enough that you shouldn't worry about supplements. I won't be taking any. If it's fat-soluble, I guess you won't be getting any benefits anyway since you won't be consuming any fat.

How much water are you aiming for per day @MTF? Or do you just drink when you're thirsty?

I drink when I'm thirsty, but I've always drunk a lot of water so what is normal for me is probably not that normal for other people. I'd say about a gallon, or 3-4 liters is a good target, maybe even more if you're going to exercise more. As long as you're not drinking half a gallon or 2 liters every hour you'll be fine even if you drink more.

And as mentioned above, drinking mineral water is a good idea to prevent electrolyte imbalance.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Great! 8 people in already. A few additional tips:
  • Definitely weigh yourself at least on Wednesday morning and on Saturday morning, but it's interesting to see how your weight changes daily so if possible, weigh yourself on Thursday and Friday as well.
  • Take your picture on Wednesday and Saturday, at least from the front as the difference will be probably most visible in the stomach area.
  • I forgot to add that one of the side effects of a longer fast is that you might feel cold (not sure if it's just me, maybe you won't notice it). That's why this is easier when it's warm (@Timmy C, that's not an excuse for you lol, I checked the weather in Melbourne and it's not that cold).
  • Plan ahead what you're going to do when you usually eat (it doesn't have to be work, but it's best if it's something that makes time go by fast - maybe it's a good period to take care of all the neglected household chores or other similar obligations). Staying busy makes this much easier, while having no plans makes it much harder as you'll feel like there's something missing (food gives structure to your day, a lack of it feels strange, possibly scary).

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Once you're deep into the fast, your brain will be astounded at how everything in culture revolves around food. It's actually a bit disturbing. Some years ago I did a 7 day fast and the experience was quite vivid and eye-opening.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA

JordanS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 8, 2014
Great thread! I am also going to have my last meal tuesday night. I've done 24 hour fasts before but this will be my first multi day fast.

Ben Taylor

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Dec 7, 2015
Welcome onboard, @Ben Taylor.

Yeah, I don't think that a dry fast is that safe. It would be definitely extremely unpleasant compared to a water fast.
Trust me when I say it's an awful experience, if only for the fact that you can't fill your stomach with anything and, slowly but surely, it grates on you to the point where it's always in your thoughts, even if it's in the back of your mind. But with water fasting, I can at least drink a bunch of water and the thought of my empty stomach will go away, as well as the headache.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Once you're deep into the fast, your brain will be astounded at how everything in culture revolves around food. It's actually a bit disturbing. Some years ago I did a 7 day fast and the experience was quite vivid and eye-opening.

Yeah, I've experienced it as well. It's incredible how much it dictates our everyday lives.

Great thread! I am also going to have my last meal tuesday night. I've done 24 hour fasts before but this will be my first multi day fast.

Awesome! 9 people in.

Trust me when I say it's an awful experience, if only for the fact that you can't fill your stomach with anything and, slowly but surely, it grates on you to the point where it's always in your thoughts, even if it's in the back of your mind. But with water fasting, I can at least drink a bunch of water and the thought of my empty stomach will go away, as well as the headache.

Yeah, I can imagine how awful it is. Also, you can exercise on a water fast, but it would quickly prove impossible without water.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
Hey @MTF since I eat one meal a day at dinner time, I will start my 3-day fast after my meal on Tuesday and end it with a meal on Friday night at the same time. That will be 72hrs for me unless I'm missing something. Otherwise it is a 4-day fast because of my eating schedule.

Please let me know if this doesn't seem right. I don't want to push too hard considering I'm 2/3 thru 75Hard and need to be able to keep up my exercise.

gloriusubiquity

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jul 1, 2019
I’m actually seeing a diet coach/personal trainer right now and he recommends eating smaller, more frequent meals everyday instead of fasting which puts more strain on your system due to the ever changing blood sugar levels. Will let you guys know my progress as a good comparison/contrarian diet plan.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Wish you all the best.

We did 40 hour famines in Oz as well with the school sleep overs, it was for the Jump rope for Heart charity. Skipping and exercise was mixed into it. Got a bum bag for the money I raised :rofl:

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia

3 day fast just water.

We got this, I’m in Adelaide, we’ll be starting ahead of everyone in the States due to time differences, up to us to lead the pack! Also means we’ll be first to the finish line ;)

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
Are you all using any apps to track? There are a lot of good fasting apps out there. Maybe there's one with shared view for fasts? Good be good to build a little support group of forum fasters and intermittent fasters

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Are you all using any apps to track? There are a lot of good fasting apps out there. Maybe there's one with shared view for fasts? Good be good to build a little support group of forum fasters and intermittent fasters

I won't be needing an app to remind me I'm hungry!

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I am eating ALOT right now lol, also being prepared to, unlike the 75 day challenge.

I have my lemons squeezed into a container and sea salt portioned ready to go.

Sleep will be very important and something i haven't done well, so i did what should have been done a long time ago and threw my tv out and made my room sleep friendly with some lavender.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
There are a lot of people on the forum interested in intermittent fasting as one of the top threads in this subforum shows.

I decided to start a new thread for those who are interested in exploring longer fasting, beyond the usual 16/8 (16 hours fasting, 8-hour window of eating) or 20/4 (20 hours fasting, 4 hours for eating) protocol.

@Sander and I are doing a 3-day fast starting this Wednesday, which means the last meal on Tuesday and the next one on Saturday. @Brian Suh is doing a 4-day fast. In the same hyperlinked thread, @JordanS plans a 3-day fast and @brockzilla and his wife are doing a 7- and 10-day fast respectively. You can join any of us now or set a different date and find a Fastlane Fasting Friend to fast with you.

Anyone else interested in doing a 3-day fast with @Sander and me starting this Wednesday? Let me sell you on the idea:
  • Eating takes a lot of time out of your day - shopping, prepping, cooking, eating, cleaning up, etc. During the fast, you'll free up at least 2 additional hours a day, if not more. This can be a great time to set more ambitious goals for your business because it will be like getting a free workday.
  • It's a great exercise for self-discipline, one of the keys to success. There's @Fox's thread about a 75-day challenge that shows how important this skill is for everything in life. After going without food for 3 days, other willpower challenges will be easier.
  • You'll lose some weight. A lot of it will be water weight you'll regain, but there will be some fat loss, too (based on my experience, it should be at least 1-3 pounds, or 0.5-1.5 kg). While on a fast, particularly the second and third day, it might be a good time to go hang out at the beach (with a bottle of water only) as your physique will be much more defined. Who knows, maybe you'll see your abs for the first time in your life :)
  • You'll reset your body as you won't be supplying any of the crap coming from processed foods. Your body will begin the process of autophagy (self-eating), which sounds scary, but in reality is desirable as it will clean out damaged cells to replace them with new, healthier ones. Your insulin levels will drop and inflammation will reduce. It might help improve your physical appearance (reduce acne, redness, etc.). Here's an article on the 5 stages of prolonged fasting.
  • You'll gain more mental clarity and improve your relationship with food. After a fast, even a very simple meal will taste incredibly and junk food will probably taste strange, if not way too sweet/salty/greasy, etc. This can help you rebuild your diet from the ground up.
  • You'll probably have some weird vivid dreams, which is trippy, but also fun.
  • Perhaps for the first time in your life, you'll feel true hunger, not fake hunger you feel in between meals. It's a humbling experience that will help you understand the struggles of those less lucky who are forced to fast.
  • You already have two guys who will hold you accountable and share the experience with you. It's much easier to do it with someone else also doing it at the same time.
  • It's a simple challenge that, even if you decide not to repeat it, will be a cool experience. You'll be able to brag that you once went without food for 3 days :)

If you're in, you still have two days to plan ahead, including eating any food you have that would have spoiled by the end of your fast, scheduling tasks you'll perform while fasting, and letting others know that you won't be available for dinners (or any eating out for that matter) for three days.

im curious if the 5 stages of fasting can all be reached on a lower level with consistent 20/4 intermittent fasting.

In the article it says that by 72 hours, old immune cells are broken down. So does that happen at all after say a month of 20/4 intermittent fasting?

Or do we have no other choice than to simulate starvation mode for 3 days lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.