The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Facebook Ads Not Running: Is This Normal?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hi guys.

I'm just getting into Facebook ads, and am really confused on why my ads aren't running. Yesterday I put up 2 ads. Only 1 ran. Today, I put up 5 ads, and none are running. Here's a screenshot:

69RTem5.png

Is this normal? Does it take awhile for them to get going? Is Facebook giving me late night traffic since I'm new?

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks for the help guys!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
From what I've heard, Facebook has all kinds of issues.
It could be that you're lucky enough to deal with one.
It also might have something to do with your end date being in a few hours and your budget being $5.
I've heard the best time to start a Facebook campaign is at midnight.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
From what I've heard, Facebook has all kinds of issues.
It could be that you're lucky enough to deal with one.
It also might have something to do with your end date being in a few hours and your budget being $5.
I've heard the best time to start a Facebook campaign is at midnight.

Thanks. Budget's small until I figure out what I'm doing.

With that said, is scheduling an ad the equivalent of starting one at midnight?

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
used to have the same exact problem 100% of the time.

I fixed it permanently by doing two things:

1) allowing FB to set my bid optimization
2) have no end date to a campaign

since I have done that for the last year my CPC went down and ads get approved right away and run immediately

just my experience

JamesSJ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 25, 2012
Who are you targeting?

Are you targeting your own audience - if so how many page likes do you have?
Are you targeting by interest - if so, which country, age group etc are you targeting?

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
Could be many things.

What was the size of the audience you selected? What type of biding did you select? How much are you bidding? What was the suggested bids for your ads? How long have you been waiting? Has your account had any ads that have been disapproved in the past? What do your ads look like, are they spammy? the list goes on.

FB is a beast. It will take lots of time tame it.

What is your end goal with these ads? Are you trying to make money or simply just making ads to learn the ropes?

Starting at midnight only ensures that your account will spend it's full daily budget. But since you have selected a start and stop time for your campaign, no need to start at midnight.

I've had ads that take days to run, I've had ads run instantly. FB plays by their own rules. Just the nature of the beast sometimes.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Most probably you bid is too low to get initial traffic. Jack it up. Once you get traffic you can lower it again step by step. Works for me.
1) allowing FB to set my bid optimization
Sometimes my ads dont get action with auto bidding. Then I change to manual and set a high bid and they start. Then I set back to auto optimization and then all hell breaks loose lol. From 20-30 to 100-200 concurrent visitors in analytics real time in a minute.

Budget isnt the issue. Sometimes I set my campaigns to $1/day instead of pausing them and they still get traffic.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
It says your ads are active...?? What makes you think they aren't running?

Daniel M.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Mar 9, 2014
Bucharest, Romania
Based on my experience you should just wait, it will start showing up and the numbers will change there.

At least for me time resolved problems like these ...

Ok, it depends how urgent is for you this.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
If you just signed up to FB ads and created those campaigns, you'll probably get banned. Its under manual review... that takes up to 24 hours.... you'll then be asked to submit more info... and you'll either be allowed to continue marketing or not.

I've also heard of people having lots of issues with FB lately.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
If you just signed up to FB ads and created those campaigns, you'll probably get banned. Its under manual review... that takes up to 24 hours.... you'll then be asked to submit more info... and you'll either be allowed to continue marketing or not.

I've also heard of people having lots of issues with FB lately.

It said that my ads were already approved. Is there still a risk I get banned?

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
It said that my ads were already approved. Is there still a risk I get banned?

Yep. But you can pray to flying spaghetti monster and hopefully he'll make everything alright.

Spaghetti bless you.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
My ads usually get approved within 10 minutes to 1 hour. But, I have been running ads for a while.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
So I implemented some of the stuff suggested, had some ads that ran, but now am back to ads that get 0 impressions.

For my latest ad, I set a $100 1-day budget. Here's the specifics I chose:

ImBw4zq.png

I also let Facebook set the bid (basically let everything else be set as the default). Now my ads are back to 0 impressions.

This specific ad is to boost a page post (5 of which ran before).

With that said, does anyone have any idea what my problem can be? I can't seem to get things working and have no idea what's going on.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I also let Facebook set the bid (basically let everything else be set as the default)
Thats the thing. Sometimes that doesnt work. Set it to manual and up the bid every 30min by $0,5-1 until traffic starts (use google analytics realtime to check this).

Most of the time you have to bid way way higher than your "true bid". For example most of my ads are OCPM for website conversions. My goal cost per conversion is $1 or below. But I actually have to manually bid at $8-10/conversion to get traffic. It then evens out to my true goal cost after about 50-100k impressions or so (if the ad/targeting doesnt suck).

Facebook unfortunately isnt straight-forward in regards to bidding, at least in my experience.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
I used to have a problem with time-zones, because my ad account was in US time, and I was in GMT, the ads that were supposed to start "now" had the GMT hour (it grabs from the local system), so I needed to adjust to US hour.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
So I implemented some of the stuff suggested, had some ads that ran, but now am back to ads that get 0 impressions.

For my latest ad, I set a $100 1-day budget. Here's the specifics I chose:

ImBw4zq.png

I also let Facebook set the bid (basically let everything else be set as the default). Now my ads are back to 0 impressions.

This specific ad is to boost a page post (5 of which ran before).

With that said, does anyone have any idea what my problem can be? I can't seem to get things working and have no idea what's going on.

Potential reach 34,000. Budget of $5. You're most likely not winning the bid to show your ad when this small pool logs in. Imagine how many other advertisers are bidding on the pool of income $100k+, the CPC might be as high as your daily budget.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Potential reach 34,000. Budget of $5. You're most likely not winning the bid to show your ad when this small pool logs in. Imagine how many other advertisers are bidding on the pool of income $100k+, the CPC might be as high as your daily budget.

This budget is $100. Larger test run. Is that still too low for one ad?

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
audience of 34k is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY to small for FB to run any ads imo...

do you have any countries selected? if not I definitely would pick at least some

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
So finally got an answer to what's wrong. Turns out Facebook flagged my account, since it's new and had "unordinary activity". Right now I'm waiting for the account to get approved. I sent them my ID and am just waiting to hear back.

Overall, upset that this hurdle exists, however am really happy that I know what the hurdle is -- that way I can just jump over it and keep moving!

rP72EPb.png

Thanks guys for all the help!

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
How did you find out? It wasnt showing in your account, right?

Sometimes when you're not getting impressions..... its a sign that your account is under manual review - it won't get impressions/reach people but it won't say that you're account is locked either - but then after xx hours you get that locked out/blocked warning/box - after they have reviewed it...

Hopefully OP can get his account back - it does happen. Next time start small, spend $1-5 a day on only likes for like the first 5-10 days and then start a nice clean campaign to your site with a $5/day spend and increase that slowly over 7 days until you reach $100/day.

And if you do make a new account... make sure you warm up the account first - i.e you just use facebook for surfing/visiting pages, commenting, liking posts, playing games for the first 10+ days. Otherwise the 2nd you make a ads account it will get banned too. I used to sell FB ads accounts so I know a lil about this.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
new account
https://business.facebook.com

Just do it legit from the beginning. Facebook doesnt F*ck around.

When I started with FB ads I just opened a business account, linked it to my personal FB account like its supposed to be, and started spending $200-500/day from day 1. Never had a problem.

A client opened his ad account with a fake facebook account. Now he isnt getting any impressions anymore and they requested his ID, which he doesnt want to give (which is stupid on its own). Nice way to F*ck up a profitable campaign, he was spending 1k/day too.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Well if you run a legit business I think there really is no need to "warm it up".

Btw, I remember reading about daily account limits everywhere on forums. Do they still exist? I never saw one. I just have a billing threshold of 600€, which means every 600-800€ they bill me via paypal which happens a few times a day, but it doesnt seem like I have a spending limit, at least I dont see one and have never hit one. Did they change that?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
A client opened his ad account with a fake facebook account. Now he isnt getting any impressions anymore and they requested his ID, which he doesnt want to give (which is stupid on its own). Nice way to F*ck up a profitable campaign, he was spending 1k/day too.

Everything's legit. I'm just sending traffic to my own artwork.

What I think flagged the account was that I didn't have a Facebook before. I had to create a Facebook in order to create the ad account.

They also asked for my ID which I provided right away, so now I'm just waiting for a response.

I'll post here with an update later so that if anyone ever has the same problem, they'll understand the process.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Well I am warming it up because I had lost my 4 year old personal account like a week ago so... I want to be extra careful not to lose this business account.

No I don't think there is a limit as such. As long as they are able to charge your paypal/CC then there won't really be a limit - but I am not sure how many times fb can charge you in 1 day. i.e if you hit your 600/day limit I don't know if they will charge you unlimited amount of times per day or if they will wait until like midnight before they charge you for the next 600.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
but I am not sure how many times fb can charge you in 1 day.
Ah yes, thats possible. I think I tested the "pay now" button and after 4 or 5 times it gives an error and says daily limit reached. Didnt reach that yet without pressing the button, so I dunno. Guess I'll ask about a raise :>.

Why did your personal account get banned? Affiliate stuff?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.