The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Facebook ads: Mobile vs Desktop

Marketing, social media, advertising

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
Im in the process of scaling up a great performing ad that I put out a few days ago on a $10/day budget. It got 3% CTR at .09/click targeting mobile only.

When I target desktop, the results don't come close and its expensive.

I'm going sales with my ads.

Is anyone killing it with targeting mobile only with their FB ads?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Im in the process of scaling up a great performing ad that I put out a few days ago on a $10/day budget. It got 3% CTR at .09/click targeting mobile only.

When I target desktop, the results don't come close and its expensive.

I'm going sales with my ads.

Is anyone killing it with targeting mobile only with their FB ads?

Lifetime lesson about to be dropped here....

Don't worry about what everyone else is doing.

If you have thoroughly tested mobile vs desktop ( and also possibly Instagram vs newsfeed vs righthand vs audience ) then you have everything you need already and need to just focus on what's working.

At $10 a day, your scale will come from not expanding into more placements, but increasing spend over time on the placements working until you can't spend anymore.

When you can't spend anymore money on that placement and have tweaked the ad all you can and the LP all you can and the offer all you can, then come back and get info on more placements.

Last edited:

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Mark the "Devices Connected By Wi-Fi" option for mobile only, if people are on wi fi, it's more likely they are at home and in a relaxed atmosphere, faster load times for your website too (usually). Lowers the hurdle and the reason to leave.

letter9

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 31, 2015
Lifetime lesson about to be dropped here....

Don't worry about what everyone else is doing.

If you have thoroughly tested mobile vs desktop ( and also possibly Instagram vs newsfeed vs righthand vs audience ) then you have everything you need already and need to just focus on what's working.

At $10 a day, your scale will come from not expanding into more placements, but increasing spend over time on the placements working until you can't spend anymore.

When you can't spend anymore money on that placement and have tweaked the ad all you can and the LP all you can and the offer all you can, then come back and get info on more placements.
Great post. You must test everything, never assume - have to remind my self often ;)

Ultra Magnus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Oct 9, 2015
I think the advice from @eliquid is best. My experience is that people read my FB ad mostly on mobile, and Google Analytics tells me people coming from FB spent the most time overall (from all traffic) reading my long-form sales letter. To me, this is counter-intuitive since "I wouldn't read all that copy" on a phone. I'd prefer a tablet or my desktop PC with a large display, and if I'd tried to include my preconceptions prior to running the ad, I would've gotten worse results. So yeah, test your stuff, identify the winners and put all your money in that.

KrisB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Feb 13, 2017
San Francisco
Definitely do your testing every single time. For me, it depends and what industry my clients are in, and what their target market is, that's where I'll put their ads. Mobile generally kills it over desktop for service-related industries.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
Since I made this thread I been going hard on FB.

Currently getting 10%+ CTR and .01-.02 clicks...mobile only.

Facebook is the best thing out for getting cheap traffic.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.