The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Facebook Ads - CPA

king156

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Feb 26, 2016
Just looking around and am looking to implement facebook cpa into my business, its a way of getting charged for assigning a specific action before using up your ads budget. Does anyone have any experience using this ad can tell me if you can set a specific action such as a user buying the product before funds are taken out from my facebook ads account?

Doesn't seem to be much imformation and im really struggling, I get no ones going to hand me anything on a plate but if anyone can share some insight or useful links it would be much appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
I think i get what you mean...if so - the 'CPA goal' is basically you telling FB to optimize your ad in terms of serving it to people who are more likely to convert/perform an action. You're basically paying a fluid CPM [assuming you choose optimized CPM as a bid method], and will be billed for impressions as such [whether you got goal conversions or not]. I find this method is pretty much the best option generally, but their algorithm does take time and $ before it properly dials itself in, and CPA does fluctuate quite a lot daily.

I've also found if you really accelerate campaign spend [high $, short time frame], it does tend to shit the bed. You have to give it time and not panic. CPA's tend to be high when you launch something new, but you have to bite the bullet and let it run a few days and generally it seems to lower/level out as the algorithm works its magic.

Alternatively, you can set a CPA bid manually [this option is at the bottom of the budget/targeting screen in the FB power editor] - for example, you have an email signup and you set a bid of $0.50 per conversion [FB will give you a suggested bid range]. In this case, you'd be charged every time someone performed the action. I've played about with this on and off, but tbh every time I've tried it personally impressions pretty much dry up, even where I've doubled their max suggested bid. It always seems to work out around the same as if i'd paid the CPM in the first place tbh, but this may just be personal experience.

If you're not already, use the FB power editor to create your ads, proceed with caution, be patient, don't panic, set a smallish budget [say, start today, end in 1 month, spend $300 for example] and get some data.

HTH :)

• Banned

king156

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Feb 26, 2016
I think i get what you mean...if so - the 'CPA goal' is basically you telling FB to optimize your ad in terms of serving it to people who are more likely to convert/perform an action. You're basically paying a fluid CPM [assuming you choose optimized CPM as a bid method], and will be billed for impressions as such [whether you got goal conversions or not]. I find this method is pretty much the best option generally, but their algorithm does take time and $ before it properly dials itself in, and CPA does fluctuate quite a lot daily.

I've also found if you really accelerate campaign spend [high $, short time frame], it does tend to shit the bed. You have to give it time and not panic. CPA's tend to be high when you launch something new, but you have to bite the bullet and let it run a few days and generally it seems to lower/level out as the algorithm works its magic.

Alternatively, you can set a CPA bid manually [this option is at the bottom of the budget/targeting screen in the FB power editor] - for example, you have an email signup and you set a bid of $0.50 per conversion [FB will give you a suggested bid range]. In this case, you'd be charged every time someone performed the action. I've played about with this on and off, but tbh every time I've tried it personally impressions pretty much dry up, even where I've doubled their max suggested bid. It always seems to work out around the same as if i'd paid the CPM in the first place tbh, but this may just be personal experience.

If you're not already, use the FB power editor to create your ads, proceed with caution, be patient, don't panic, set a smallish budget [say, start today, end in 1 month, spend $300 for example] and get some data.

HTH :)
Thanks very much that's exactly what I meant :) ahhh I wondered about being billed for impressions and what would qualify as a billing ..thanks you really appreciate that ill start off with a small budget around $100 see what happens just test my feet in the water.

• Banned

king156

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Feb 26, 2016
Thinking perhaps the best alternative would be to do Facebook ppc ads, but unsure on how much to be bidding is their like a price list for example?

And can you rely just on defining the age and interest or id their other methods to narrowing down your target audience?

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Thinking perhaps the best alternative would be to do Facebook ppc ads, but unsure on how much to be bidding is their like a price list for example?

And can you rely just on defining the age and interest or id their other methods to narrowing down your target audience?

I second that, could someone please explain a bit more how the ppc ads.

What is the difference between ppc and ppm in terms of ads being served in a certain time frame? For example if I want to test a product and my focus is to get clicks to my sales page would i rather go with ppm or ppc and which one would you suggest?

Thank you :)

Efx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 26, 2016
I think for smaller businesses it actually makes more sense to use ppc rather than ppm tho im not an expert by any means, i would also be interested in knowing what some ppc experts would suggest for anyones first ad campaign..

G

GuestUserX09

@Efx @eTox @king156

Out of all platforms, I dislike FB ads the most. I'd recommend using Bing ads for a first time ad user, it'll give you a good background on whats really happening here and they give you free training sessions via the phone if you set an appointment. I've done 2 with them so far and another is scheduled.

I've spend thousands in ads so far, so I'm not an expert but I know a thing or two and I may have been wrong the whole time but.. the only metrics I ever pay attention to are my CPA or CPC. At the end of the day, I really only care how much I need to pay for each targeted visitor. It's up to you to decide how much your leads are worth to you and how to optimize your targeting strategy, keywords, etc.

For FB just target CPA. I believe somehow, it is all equal in how much you'll pay and receive, they just present it in different forms/goals.

Efx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 26, 2016
@Efx @eTox @king156

Out of all platforms, I dislike FB ads the most. I'd recommend using Bing ads for a first time ad user, it'll give you a good background on whats really happening here and they give you free training sessions via the phone if you set an appointment. I've done 2 with them so far and another is scheduled.

I've spend thousands in ads so far, so I'm not an expert but I know a thing or two and I may have been wrong the whole time but.. the only metrics I ever pay attention to are my CPA or CPC. At the end of the day, I really only care how much I need to pay for each targeted visitor. It's up to you to decide how much your leads are worth to you and how to optimize your targeting strategy, keywords, etc.

For FB just target CPA. I believe somehow, it is all equal in how much you'll pay and receive, they just present it in different forms/goals.
Thanks for the respond! If you dont mind i have three more questions, the first being what conversion rate do you get, or can you say in general with an optimized landing page and good keywords you can get X-Y%? Second, do you use longer/more keywords and third how much should i be looking at to spend for one click (for example .50$)?

G

GuestUserX09

what conversion rate do you get, or can you say in general with an optimized landing page and good keywords you can get X-Y%? Second, do you use longer/more keywords and third how much should i be looking at to spend for one click (for example .50$)?

I have a CTR (click through rate) and then usually 5-10% of what is left become customers/users. So if I pay $100 show an add to 100,000 people, and 2,000 people click. I have 2% CTR. Then, Out of those 2,000 people, 150 will pay me. So you can determine how much your 150 customers are worth.

At first, I throw it all at the wall to see what sticks, then I run through the search matches and make sure my terms are decently relevant. I start wide and refine over a few days until I have a focused ad campaign. I don't pay attention to the length of keywords, etc. I want search volume on my keywords, not too much, not too little.

G

GuestUserX09

Hmm. Yeah, just PM me if you need more help. I'm being very vague since a lot depends on your industry, budget and ad goals. Thanks for the rep btw @Efx

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.