The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Expanding your mental horizons

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I just wanted to shout from the virtual mountaintop about how much I have learned since I've been on this forum. Since I have been here I have realized:

- that commercial real estate is an option for me (small-potatoes investor), and a good one at that.
- that setting goals is important, and have been doing this everyday, and have about 100% more productive! (Funny how that happens!)
- the importance of thinking big- mainly because once I start thinking big, my mind is stetched and I begin to think about how to make something happen instead of focusing on why it won't work.
- I can buy multi-families and be out of the rat race in a couple of years.
- that I can achieve my goals in a much shorter timeframe that I though possible.
*This is the biggest realization that I have come to so far.
- I can do anything I set my mind to.
- Know your finances like the back of your hand.
- God will only give you as much as you can handle...good or bad.
- winners focus and losers don't.

Thank you for all the insights. Many of you may think my insights are kinda basic- but I tell you, it is huge once you realize the basics! I feel like I have catapulted to the next level and that now I am just in "lag time" (time between aquiring knowledge and reaping the rewards from it). :banana::thankyousign:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
yveskleinsky-

I went through a similar set of "A-has" and got VERY motivated/inspired back in 2003 on the RD forums.

It's hard to describe how good this feels, and is, for me.

But it's good.

Really, really good.

Life changing stuff.

-Russ H.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
:iagree: Good to hear. Since I have been here I too started to look at multifamily deals over 10 units. I have found that I can actually swing the deal if I'm ready. I would have never even considered a "big" deal until I spent some time here and took the chance. Now I am looking at how much farther I can push the envelope. Happy hunting to all!:cheers:

Greg

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Yes, same feeling here. I feel I need to keep in touch with the forum members every day and I have found a great desire to help others in the same or higher proportion that I've been helped. Great post, rep++

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Again, :iagree:, I check this place out often. I have also attempted to share what I have learned and am learning. I find that most people won't listen. It's like they smile and nod but nothing sinks in. I describe specific deals I have done or I know that have been done and they always think there is some gimmick. The people I work with seem to think any financially successful person must have had an inside trick or backer or something they don't have. Why won't they listen?:cheers:

Greg

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Greg, just tell them you are the one with the "inside" information. You are the one that knows the trick. They may not believe you either, but they will look at you differently. Enjoy the way they look at you, they think you are crazy anyway. Remember they are right... there is a big gimmick... you have to pay the price in time educating your self and finding the deals. Most will not be willing to pay the price. There is something they don't have... knowledge.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
And we'll all be drinking that free buble up and eating that rainbow pie,

Opps, did I say that out loud? I don't know where that came from guess I am just feeling the love too much.

:love1:

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Again, :iagree:, I check this place out often. I have also attempted to share what I have learned and am learning. I find that most people won't listen. It's like they smile and nod but nothing sinks in. I describe specific deals I have done or I know that have been done and they always think there is some gimmick. The people I work with seem to think any financially successful person must have had an inside trick or backer or something they don't have. Why won't they listen?:cheers:

Greg

lol. Learning to "let go" has been really hard for me too. Kiyosaki describes this by saying, "Don't try to teach a pig to sing- it just annoys the pig and frustrates you." So true. Most people, sometimes even if they are investors, have a hard time being happy for other's successes. People that aren't investing generally don't want to hear it. Their life is easier working a 9-5 and thinking that investing is the same as gambling. Oh well.

triple J

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Aug 8, 2007
Utica, NY
Letting go is part of the process. My "best friend" never asks me how my properties are going even though I ask her how her IBM job is all the time. She's very uncomfortable with it so I don't bring it up. Her idea of a good deal is taking a client out to a fancy restaurant and drinks on Big Blue's dime.

I've noticed the people that I know best seem to be the least interested in deals that I do or have done. It's when I first meet someone and when I tell them I own properties for a living, they're the ones interested and want details- especially when I tell them how I bought my 2nd property for $316- go figure!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
It's when I first meet someone and when I tell them I own properties for a living, they're the ones interested and want details- especially when I tell them how I bought my 2nd property for $316- go figure!

Well, now I want to hear your story. I'm sure others as well. The success stories do help me expand my mental horizon.

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
Yvie.ski and Triple J, I can relate. Many people are so in the rat race and will always have that mind set, so there's really not much we can do to change that. Yes, sometimes it's rough when the people we care about think differently. Yet, we can always change our social circle to suit our other interests.

Seriously, why do some people become defensive or offended when someone else spills their goals, desires, etc. ?

Self-consciousness? Self-pity? Unsympathetic ears? Or ?

I've partially lost respect for a sibling because I can't stand this person's mocking of another family member who is actually doing and not just talking.

I promote self discovery and actualization, so I like to see others doing well. I would definitely aid those who desire to improve themselves. Yet, most people shun those who do better than themselves. How silly!

:smxE:

triple J

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Aug 8, 2007
Utica, NY
Well, now I want to hear your story. I'm sure others as well. The success stories do help me expand my mental horizon.

LOL! I'll tell you how I bought a house for $316.... I had a different house under contract for purchase and there was a boarded up house next to it. I was apalled and did not want that as my neighbor so I called the Assessor's office and found out who owned it. They gave me the person's name and address. So I wrote the person a letter and stated that I was interested in purchasing the house. It was the first "We buy houses" letter I'd ever mailed and didn't expect much from it. 3 days later, I got a call from the owner saying he wanted to sell. He'd started remodeling, ran out of money and lost interest. My contractor inspected the property and it needed a lot of work and in the meantime I discovered that there were back taxes owed of $632 and foreclosure would be taking place by the city in 3 weeks. I asked if he would split the taxes owed with me and I would take the property off his hands and keep him out of foreclosure. He agreed and we did the deal. Keep in mind I did this all while living in Texas..... Made things a bit trickier but I loved the challenge.

I still have that property. We spent $30,000 fixing it up and it rents for $850/month. I refied the property when the remodel was completed. My PITI is $325/month and has very little maintenance issues. This particular house is very personal for me and I would have a hard time selling it. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.:love1:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
TripleJ, great story. Rep++

S928, yes, for many it is easier to criticize than to make something positive happen. Just ignore them, at least that what I try.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.