The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Expanding to my own website. Have Traffic but no sales!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
I've been working on a brand on Amazon and it seems like the products I have on Amazon are selling consistently. Now I am looking to expand to my website. I am using Shopify, bought a theme and uploaded all of my products on there.

I am using facebook ads for my traffic source. I got my CPC to anywhere from .14 - .25 per click.

Traffic isn't a problem. I set my budget to $20 a day and I can get 100 visitors on my website. However, I can't even get one person to buy. Not even "add to cart".

How much of a budget do I need to test? I've spent around $80 between the past 4 days. Do I keep gathering data? The thing is that if I am not converting, the data I'm getting is meaningless.

Any FB Ad gurus out there?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I've been working on a brand on Amazon and it seems like the products I have on Amazon are selling consistently. Now I am looking to expand to my website. I am using Shopify, bought a theme and uploaded all of my products on there.

I am using facebook ads for my traffic source. I got my CPC to anywhere from .14 - .25 per click.

Traffic isn't a problem. I set my budget to $20 a day and I can get 100 visitors on my website. However, I can't even get one person to buy. Not even "add to cart".

How much of a budget do I need to test? I've spent around $80 between the past 4 days. Do I keep gathering data? The thing is that if I am not converting, the data I'm getting is meaningless.

Any FB Ad gurus out there?

Maybe your traffic isn't interested in the product

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
Sounds like either your website isnt optimized enough or your traffic isnt targeted well enough , i would play with both

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Maybe your traffic isn't interested in the product

If I am selling tennis rackets (example). If I'm targeting tennis players, wouldn't you think they would be interested in the product?

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Sounds like either your website isnt optimized enough or your traffic isnt targeted well enough , i would play with both

Similar to my above example. If I'm selling tennis rackets and I am targeting to tennis players - how targeted does my audience have to be?

I PM'ed you my website I think it looks fine but maybe I need other people's opinion.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Similar to my above example. If I'm selling tennis rackets and I am targeting to tennis players - how targeted does my audience have to be?

I PM'ed you my website I think it looks fine but maybe I need other people's opinion.
I would also like to take a look.

Entrepreneur101

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 10, 2015
AUSTRALIA
Do you have the following items in your Store :
1. Trust symbols, like money back guarantee, 100% secure online shopping, backed by Shopify platform(security), etc.
2. Shopify order tracking app
3. MailCheat(Chimp) app to remarket to visitors
4. More than several products in your store so customers have more choices and products to buy

For your Facebook ads
1. After running your Facebook ads you should have enough data to know your target audience. Do you run new Facebook ads to target this audience from the data you have ?
2. What type of ads are you using (post page engagement, click to website, optimized for conversion, etc.) ? Depending on the type of ad you are using Facebook will serve these ads to different target behavior audiences.
3. Have you used re-targeting to increase conversion ?
4. How big is your Facebook Page ?

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Do you have the following items in your Store :
1. Trust symbols, like money back guarantee, 100% secure online shopping, backed by Shopify platform(security), etc.
2. Shopify order tracking app
3. MailCheat(Chimp) app to remarket to visitors
4. More than several products in your store so customers have more choices and products to buy

For your Facebook ads
1. After running your Facebook ads you should have enough data to know your target audience. Do you run new Facebook ads to target this audience from the data you have ?
2. What type of ads are you using (post page engagement, click to website, optimized for conversion, etc.) ? Depending on the type of ad you are using Facebook will serve these ads to different target behavior audiences.
3. Have you used re-targeting to increase conversion ?
4. How big is your Facebook Page ?

Thanks for your feedback.

1. Yes, I am a google trusted store (just installed today), and also have SSL certificate and accept all credit cards and paypal.
2. No tracking app installed. I can install this
3. I do have MailCheat(Chimp) set up but no e-mail opt ins yet
4. I have several SKUs and each SKU has several variations. I do however need to add more products though.

For facebook ads, I do not have enough data yet. I only spent $70 within the past 4 days. I'm going to wait for a week to gather all of my data. My facebook page only have 100 likes.

The ad I am using is click to website. I am using several pictures. Each picture is a different product with a link to the product page.

Entrepreneur101

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 10, 2015
AUSTRALIA
I suggest you also test different target audiences with your ads as there may be a better converting audience for your ad. After you have gathered all your data and optimized your target audience, then change the ad to optimize for conversions and also use retargeting.

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta

Not exactly.

Almost everyone drives a car, so if im selling cars do I just run ads to people that drive cars? No They already own a car but I could target recent graduates, people who just got a job, higher income people, families that just added a member, etc etc etc.

Your tennis player may already have a racket it might be brand new. Why would they buy a new one. Narrow down

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Lemme go again:
If you can't sell a single unit, neither get a single email with questions on your products - the problem is with your object of sales, i.e. everything on your website from texts and pictures to a product itself.
It doesn't matter how you market it via fb, if you have MailCheat(Chimp) or not, how many products do you have - all this bullshit doesn't matter when you can't sell. It has nothing to do with how you try to sell it.
Wasting more money on fb ads won't change the situation, you already can estimate your possible conversion rates.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
The thing is that if I am not converting, the data I'm getting is meaningless.

The data is never meaningless. You are paying for the data - even if its weeding out people who don't buy.

I would budget at least $2k-5k to really figure out what works.

Do you know your demographics? Are you sending them to a well-optimized landing page or "pre-sell" page? Does your copy kick a$$ and resonate with your target market? Do you have an awesome headline? Is your ad copy and image relevant to what you're selling? How is your targeting outside of demographics (interest targeting etc.)? What's your landing page click through rate?

These are all factors you need to consider when running paid advertisements. You need the right product, the right message and the right demographic. Failure to nail any one of these you'll see poor to awful results.

Selling on Amazon is easy. Selling through paid traffic is HARD but very lucrative. Learn how to do this and you'll never go hungry.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN

I'm having that exact same problem with FB ads. I've spent thousands on FB with dismal results.

I can definitely understand your frustration.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
Do you guys with issues know where you are losing your customers? Google analytics and software like inspectlet or hotjar can offer huge info on where the drop off is.

Also make sure you have your FB pixel loaded onto each page AND have a different selector for each step in your funnel so you can see how far in the funnel each ad is taking your customers. If your ads are set up properly you will start identifying what targeting is doing better and worse and can start narrowing it down.

Are you driving traffic to a funnel for a specific product? Or are you going to a page with multiple products?(See what the guys who are spending millions in advertising do: https://petovera.com/best-sales-funnel-examples/ )

Is the traffic straight up bouncing off the site immediately, or is are they clicking around and not buying? This goes back to the tracking question.

Lastly, does the site load quickly? Are you testing any a/b or even better, multivariate testing of your landing pages(the page your customers first land after clicking your ad)?
https://blog.kissmetrics.com/loading-time/ I've heard that every second over 2 seconds equates to droping your conversion rate by 10%.

Lots to look at before we even get to your ads and targeting...

Last edited:

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Thank you all for the suggestions and feedback through this thread and also in PM.

I'm going to make some updates based on feedback. Some of the feedback was:

1. Increase my pricing, doing bundles. I need to increase the order size before doing any fb ads because I will be competing with people who are paying $20 - 30 to acquire a customer.

2. Website looks too simple and needs more products or at least laid out better.

3. Need social proof. More pictures of people using my profit. Need to utilize instagram more.

4. Other aesthetic changes on the website.

I'm starting to work on these changes and guess what:

I got my first sale this morning!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!