• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD! Ever wonder how people end up in dead end jobs at 40?

Discussion in 'Chat Scripted Dogma/Indoctrination' started by Vigilante, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $177,137
    Rep+

Ronak, Galaxy16 and Ryan S like this.
  2. EsJay

EsJay Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $382
    OP really touched me and thank you for taking time to post this story and your thoughts.

I see myself there probably in slightly better position and better job, paying better $$$. But fundamentals still remain same. Based on my own experience I do believe many people do understand that they are stuck on treadmill and keep dreaming but find themselves helpless. They keep dreaming about that day when they will be set free, but very few keep searching a way out and go through the grind to escape.

Aunt Clyde and Galaxy16 like this.
  3. ryanbleau

ryanbleau Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,950
    I needed to see this again. Been spinning my wheels lately.

LRival87 and Galaxy16 like this.
  4. JP Alvis

JP Alvis New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $87
    Thank you @Vigilante for this thread, I'm just starting my way away from being an employee, and I'm grateful for finding this forum and MJ's books.

5. LRival87

LRival87 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $42
    Life happens to those who aren't making it happen.

Jesus... I feel for that guy. Back to the grind!

6. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $156,710
    So that was October 2015? Nearly 3 years ago. Wow... time flies.

I still get to spend a lot of time with my kids.

It's the summer holidays and they've been off school for about 7 weeks. They've about a week left before they're back in school.

I've been minding them during the day - mostly having fun, partly pulling my hair out (parents will relate). It's tiring because I work in the evening when everyone goes to bed, sometimes (often?) till 1am.

No complaints though. I see cars coming into the estate at 5:30 pm when I'm out playing hurling with the lads on the green. One of my neighbours was out pushing one of his toddlers round the green on his little tricycle. The guy was wearing his shirt and tie and it suddenly dawned on me that he'd just got home and this was the first thing he wanted to do when he got in the door - spend time with his kids before they go to bed.

He came past and we chatted. He said it must have been a great day today (we've had a great summer of sunny days here in Ireland). He then asked "What do you do Andy?". Ah, I suddenly realised all those parents keep coming in every evening after fighting their way through traffic and see me playing with the kids all the time.

I gave him the high-level view and offered to have a chat about it over coffee sometime. I hope he takes me up on it.

mike24601, Invictus, Gary and 9 others like this.
  7. Dami-B

Dami-B Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,758
    Wow this is such sound advise.

It reminds me of something my mom says.

"Passion works best at old age"

Galaxy16, Vigilante and Andy Black like this.
  8. Timmy1990

Timmy1990 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $434
    Maybe there in a dead end job at 40 because there pursuing a fast lane business.... some food for thought.

9. Rick Phillips

Rick Phillips Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $212
    This is a brilliant thread. Thank you to the author @Vigilante and those that have kept it alive so that I could stumble across it today.

It is my opinion that the majority of people in dead end jobs do not see their own reality or self worth. In their world they are doing the right thing by the script, they are doing what they were taught to do. They pay their bills, they pay tax, they put money in a crappy pension and they cling to the property ladder with a 90%+ mortgage. They are alive but maybe not living.

Every company that I have ever worked for would have happily kept me there until I died or retired and each company had plenty of people on their books that fit the MO of the shirt guy in the original story.

Each of my past employers paid me just enough to prevent me from going elsewhere and I served their purpose, I did a good job..... The timing was coincidence but each time that I received a promotion in a particular job I would quit shortly afterwards. My manager would always be baffled when I handed in my resignation. I would quit because I have always held an entrepreneurial mindset and these employers were serving my purpose more than I was serving theirs. Once my goals had been achieved then it was time to go! I would call this the golden rule when it comes to the world of employment and I wish that I had held this belief consistently.

I nearly got caught out during my final "job" as I didn't follow my own golden rule. I joined a large corporation at the age of 22 to gain domain experience for my business idea and also so that I could leverage borrowings against a nice salary to execute another business idea.
    They placed me in a pair of splendid golden handcuffs and the golden rule went out the window.
    - Every year I got a "great" bonus and pay rise.
    - They paid all my pension contributions and sent me a statement every year showing how rich I'd be at 65 if I served them for another four decades.
    - They lent me an awesome car.
    - They let me work from home.
    - They got me the latest iPhone.
    - They gave me free shares every year.

If I left then I would lose the lot, suddenly my business plans didn't seem so attractive! But I'd already got plenty of domain experience and bought a house, done it up and flipped it for a tidy profit (business idea 2). So despite growing up with an entrepreneurial mindset, I had started wondering towards the slaughterhouse in the slow lane. Forsaking my own golden rule.

Thankfully in 2017 the company had a shocker but I did not, my results were great. Due to the overall group results, the company started making layoffs and therefore couldn't justify looking after its top performers. My annual pay rise was less than 2% and my bonus did not compare with my results...… I experienced the most entitled and self centred, spoilt brat F U event in existence and promptly quit at the age of 31 to pursue my original plan.

I nearly ended up as a miserable employee even though it went against everything that I believed in. It happens very easily. People would argue that this wasn't a dead end job but I would argue that it was. The speed that you drive down a dead end road doesn't change the fact that the road is dead at the end.

How do people end up in Dead End jobs at the age of 40?

They never took the first step towards their goals. They either took a step in the wrong direction or never took a step at all.

I hope that one day I can help people to take their step. But I also hope that I can empower my employees to fly the nest.

LRival87, MJ DeMarco, Gary and 5 others like this.
  10. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,198
    They never planned and never executed. They never had dreams. They did not write their goals down. They did not follow through. They did not take action to achieve their goals and dreams.

11. Al Berton

Al Berton New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $17
    Boy, I wish I had the clear vision you have. This is the base for your future.

12. Aunt Clyde

Aunt Clyde New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $73
    This reminds me of the time I was in Macy's looking for a new mattress for my new apartment at the time. I was looking around on my own when a woman who had to have been at least in her 80s and leaning on a walker made a casual comment about mattresses. At first I thought she was just some random woman using a walker who was trying to make small talk. But when she kept talking about the mattresses I realized she was a salesperson. Imagine being in your 80s, requiring acwalker to get around and being a salesperson at Macy's. So depressing.

Gxt5010 and jon.a like this.
  13. LRival87

LRival87 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $42
    You and me both.