The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Essential Oils

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Anyone know much about essential oils/diffusers? health/wellness benefits, personal experience? sources? etc..?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Hey man, I make products out of essential oils - but it is topical stuff for hair and skin care.

Whats up?

Mr Cracker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 24, 2012
Mexico
Anyone know much about essential oils/diffusers? health/wellness benefits, personal experience? sources? etc..?

Like these ones?:

q2tEpW3.jpg

HotRocket

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 14, 2016
I use many different essential oils as well... Most often tea tree oil, rosemary, and eucalyptus. I find them very effective for different ailments.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I associate essential oils with MLMs because I have seen so many that use them as their product. My opinion may therefore be colored by that.

Smell is a powerful component of memory, so certain smells do affect your mood. This could have consequences for how you feel as well (i.e. being in a happy mood makes pain easier to deal with). As far as affecting your overall health, I'm a skeptic.

I don't have any direct experience, but my guess would be that they are no more effective than placebo for treating actual conditions.

If you are having some sort of issue with your health, I would recommend finding the root cause and addressing it, rather than using essential oils to address the symptoms.

Jav100

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 20, 2016
Essential oils are proven to have therapeutic benefits and are becoming more popular.

I have been thinking of a business around essential oils as well.

What were you considering?

Unfortutnelt many companies make them or talk about them these days.

dbx286

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Aug 13, 2016
I have been thinking about them too lately.
Primarily because a few varieties of them are suuuppper cheap to source from this part of the world (India). Also because I have inherited farm lands which are not making much atm (growing mustard/wheat)

I am also thinking about cold pressed wheatgerm oil manufacturing & branding. 100% organic. Maybe if I vlog about the entire process and have a third party lab test my stuff I can sell it at a premium to overseas customers.

I already have farms in North India producing about 30,000 kg (66 thousand pounds) of wheat annually, so I already have the raw material for wheatgerms oil. Typically you can extract oil that is equivalent to 1.5-to-2% of the weight of the raw material.

So if I setup shop, I can produce about 500-600 litres (130-160 gallons) of wheatgerm oil annually. I can retail it for about $1/fl oz, so in total I would be looking at $18k worth of wheatgerm oil. All this from my farms without buying raw material from third party.

I would still have to take into account the cost of setting up expellers etc. I already have dropshipping experience to international customer base.

EDIT 1: Dug a little more and found out I can outsource even the growing part for $22-$25/100kg wheat (good quality).

Last edited:

Jav100

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 20, 2016
I think you should give it a go. I am heavily engaged in the wellness community with an affinity for nutrition.

I would say organic oils and herbs are best and can command a premium price.

Interestingly enough I too have some land in Southern Europe that could be well suited for growing some herbs as well so this has been a thought. (Not wheatgerm though) :)

There is a growing tend toward alternative therapies so I think timing is good.

Obtaining certification of organic can be difficult and I'm not sure if there is a governing body in India for that.

How did you arrive at calculations to understand how much you raw product you need to create X amount of end product?

I have been thinking about them too lately.
Primarily because a few varieties of them are suuuppper cheap to source from this part of the world (India). Also because I have inherited farm lands which are not making much atm (growing mustard/wheat)

I am also thinking about cold pressed wheatgerm oil manufacturing & branding. 100% organic. Maybe if I vlog about the entire process and have a third party lab test my stuff I can sell it at a premium to overseas customers.

I already have farms in North India producing about 30,000 kg (66 thousand pounds) of wheat annually, so I already have the raw material for wheatgerms oil. Typically you can extract oil that is equivalent to 1.5-to-2% of the weight of the raw material.

So if I setup shop, I can produce about 500-600 litres (130-160 gallons) of wheatgerm oil annually. I can retail it for about $1/fl oz, so in total I would be looking at $18k worth of wheatgerm oil. All this from my farms without buying raw material from third party.

I would still have to take into account the cost of setting up expellers etc. I already have dropshipping experience to international customer base.

EDIT 1: Dug a little more and found out I can outsource even the growing part for $22-$25/100kg wheat (good quality).

dbx286

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Aug 13, 2016
I think you should give it a go. I am heavily engaged in the wellness community with an affinity for nutrition.

I would say organic oils and herbs are best and can command a premium price.

Interestingly enough I too have some land in Southern Europe that could be well suited for growing some herbs as well so this has been a thought. (Not wheatgerm though) :)

There is a growing tend toward alternative therapies so I think timing is good.

Obtaining certification of organic can be difficult and I'm not sure if there is a governing body in India for that.

How did you arrive at calculations to understand how much you raw product you need to create X amount of end product?

I asked a guy who runs oil extraction business in the country side. He does not work with wheatgerm himself but is very knowledgable in this industry, so hopefully the 1.5%-2% figure is not far from the reality.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.