The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Escaping the burden of employment

D

Deleted8v369

I've escaped employment several times, though I didn't make much money and ended up employed again. I've had a cocktail bar, an English school, and been a software consultant. The difficulty is in scale. With a small bar, even though it was popular, it wasn't profitable enough to open another one and hire a manager. As a consultant, it's sort of like having a job without a boss, so there is potential for much higher income, but you have to hunt down and negotiate the contracts yourself.
So if you want to escape employment, it shouldn't be all that difficult. If you want to escape employment and make a lot of money, that's a different matter.
Or you could just go to a country with a generous welfare system :D

Dr_Chriss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 9, 2020
Tanzania
Many of us might have been through this burden called employment,
And you might wonder why sometime it is so hard to get out of it,
As i was reading the Millionaire Fastlane book i discovered another new thing that this is the road to slow lane strategy to be rich..
Now i want everybody to hit up the discussion and tell me how he/she personally was able to escape to this burden of employment...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dr_Chriss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 9, 2020
Tanzania
I've escaped employment several times, though I didn't make much money and ended up employed again. I've had a cocktail bar, an English school, and been a software consultant. The difficulty is in scale. With a small bar, even though it was popular, it wasn't profitable enough to open another one and hire a manager. As a consultant, it's sort of like having a job without a boss, so there is potential for much higher income, but you have to hunt down and negotiate the contracts yourself.
So if you want to escape employment, it shouldn't be all that difficult. If you want to escape employment and make a lot of money, that's a different matter.
Or you could just go to a country with a generous welfare system :D
Wow thank you for the contribution..
So the problem is escaping employment and making a lot of money at the same time...

So by the way it won't be easy to make a lot of money at once but you have yo work hard so that you raise your income...
So maybe another perspective from you

D

Deleted8v369

Wasn't it possible to franchise the bar?
That's expansion on steroids, minimal risk, you're using others capital & they're much more motivated for success than any employee could ever be.
You mentioned it was in Japan, was it regulations?
At the time I hadn't even thought about it. Now that I do, I am not sure it would have been an ideal business to franchise in any case.

My bar was in a backstreet in an area that had been fashionable twenty years earlier, and relied quite a bit on word of mouth and developing regular customers. A lot of my customers went there because I was there (which kind of anchored me to it like a ball and chain). I couldn't really franchise my personality.

I could possibly have overcome those difficulties and made something franchisable, but by that time I was tired of drinking every night (hard to believe I know, but it is actually possible to get bored with drinking and partying).

Regulations weren't a problem. It's quite easy to open a business in Japan. I had a lot of friends to help me, and I spoke fluent Japanese. Liquor and food licences can be purchased at the local government office, and there are some things that you have to mind, like keeping soap in the bathroom, but nothing that requires tons of paperwork and fees. Also, the taxes are (or were) low.

It was a fantastic lifestyle, though.

D

Deleted8v369

Some are tough to franchise.
We had a similar situation in HK when we did artificial nails.
None of the students could match my wife's ability & she didn't want her name on their salons.
So after training we helped them set up, supplied equipment & products.

What gets me is that hair salons capitalise on the principal's name & franchise.
Chefs do it as well, but food is more science than art so I guess it's easier to replicate.

Where did you do your English school?
Perhaps you could find a way to take the artistic skill out of it? Maybe some kind of printer that you can use to apply your designs? Here is one:
View: https://youtu.be/d6fvw838T04

Casio is making one that you can put your whole hand inside, apparently.

The English school was in Japan, too. I drove around the countryside putting notices for English classes on community boards in small towns. After I had enough students interested in a town, I'd rent a room by the hour to teach them in. I also had my own office/school close to where I lived, and contracts with some companies to teach groups of their employees.

D

Deleted8v369

That machine is trippy! We did airbrush back in the 90's.
That's just the art part though.
The hard part was the acrylic product application.
Once you pick up acrylic powder on a brush wet with acrylic monomer, you've got very little time to shape a nail before it hardens.
If you screw up or do thick nails there's lots of filing.
If you were good & quick you could do the one ball method.
Most did two or three ball method, that's how quick it dried.

Teaching English to Japanese is tough, I freelanced to Pasona Education, in HK, businessmen that didn't want to learn. Never again.
Sounds like a highly skilled job. Perhaps franchising a training centre would be better?

English teaching mostly sucks, especially if it's kids, but you can meet some incredible people in adult classes. I can't give you names because it's a public forum, but I've had the opportunity to meet and talk to people whom I would normally never have access to. It's a bottom feeder industry, but so is driving, and I think that's one of the reasons MJ's success story resonates with me.

D

Deleted8v369

Wow thank you for the contribution..
So the problem is escaping employment and making a lot of money at the same time...

So by the way it won't be easy to make a lot of money at once but you have yo work hard so that you raise your income...
So maybe another perspective from you
Hard work is a noble thing, though the idea that it will necessarily make you wealthy is a myth. Some of the hardest working people n the world are also the poorest, and some of the richest made no effort at all.

MJ's book tells you the sort of businesses you need to pursue for a chance to generate tons of money quickly, and also tells you about businesses like the ones that I had that are difficult to scale.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.