• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Sidewalk "Entrepreneurs" who play lottery?

Discussion in 'Chat Scripted Dogma/Indoctrination' started by Galaxy16, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Galaxy16

Galaxy16 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $712
    What are known examples of entrepreneurs who pay what some people call the "fool tax"?

2. AllanB

AllanB Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $293
    Sometimes (because we never know).

Galaxy16 likes this.
  3. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $197,785
    MJ once described (I think here on the forum and not in the book?) the buzz that people get from playing the lottery is the same buzz that an entrepreneur gets as the business is reaching critical mass. That is a poor paraphrase, but that same adrenaline for entrepreneurs can be sustained for much longer than the overnight dream of a lottery ticket purchase, and the odds for the entrepreneur are much stronger favorable.

Galaxy16, Kingmaker and Supa like this.
  4. SquatchMan

SquatchMan Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,940
    End of the video he holds up his lottery tickets.

Gambling is entertainment. Not investment.

Kingmaker and Vigilante like this.
  5. minivanman

minivanman Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,838
    I have a friend that makes like $10-$12 an hour. Almost every day he buys a $20 scratch off ticket (sometimes he buys the $50 ticket). I don't know how he does it but he wins almost every dang time! He atleast gets his money back. My wife on the other hand, buys a scratch off once or twice a year and if she wins a dollar..... WOOOHOOOOO it's party time! You would think she won a million! lol

6. Maxboost

Maxboost Silver Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,116
    Playing the lottery is sometimes +EV when the jackpot is paying more than the odds of winning. For example if you chances of winning is 1 in 49 million and the jackpot is $100 million, you should buy a ticket, in theory you will come out ahead.

7. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $197,785
    He doesn't tell you about the losers.

akotu, Kingmaker, IGP and 1 other person like this.
  8. Merging Left

Merging Left Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,033
    You're not factoring in the odds of having to split the prize.

9. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $30,215
    I have bought less than 10 lotto tickets in my life. Just for fun, and it really isn't that fun.

Not a big gambler. I was amazed in vegas by the people just willing to ding away their money in exchange for some lights and sounds. The mathematical advantage is with the house. If you played slots enough you would have nothing.

Betting in poker, golf and horse racing? That's a blast. A good social time. A game. Not gambling just to gamble.

Kingmaker, Bearcorp and Supa like this.
  10. msufan

msufan Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,420
    Okay... story time here. I look for +EV gaming opportunities, and my state lottery (Michigan) is one great example of that. As one example, when you first sign up, you can get a 50% deposit bonus up to $100. So you sign up, deposit $200, and actually receive $300. Then you have to play through the $300 before you can withdraw it. You play it through once on Keno (with an 87.5% rate of return), and if you're smart, you do it on a day when you get a special incentive to do so (play $25 and get $5 free!), and you will come out ahead. Even without special incentives, your EV on the original deposit bonus is +$62.50 plus any credit card bonuses you get for depositing the $300 on a card.

I made a few thousand bucks last year doing that sort of thing. They've tightened it up a bit this year, and I'll probably only pick up a little over a thousand bucks. But it's free, and for me, it's just a fun sort of game.

So there's at least one reason to play the lottery. Anyone in Michigan who is not taking advantage of this is just burning free money.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.