The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Enough Lurking!

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
So, I've seen numerous threads with people proclaiming they're depressed and they're commitment to change.

I watched them come, and I watched them go.

Like many of you, I cringed with each and every thread.

I was determined not to become another one of these fastlane forum transients.

Instead of posting, I spent my time building the process, which is itself a work in progress.

Eventually, though, you have to commit. You can't be preparing forever. And so, here I am :)

About me:

Former slowlaner with a love of education. I spent my 20s in school, getting a Ph.D. (condensed matter physics). When I graduated I landed a job at Intel as a process engineer, making a phat salary. Life was good.

There were bumps in the road at the job; some mistakes were made. I didn't destroy a million bucks worth of silicon or anything, but sometimes even the smallest things can come back to haunt you.

Fast forward to this summer. The company was laying people off. Even though I was rated successful in all my reviews, my stock grants weren't high enough.

BLAMO. I got shown the door.

I believe that in hindsight that day will be counted among the greatest in my life.

What I've been doing since:

I started a blog on javascript game development in a particular framework, with the intent of writing and selling educational material. The creator of the framework released a master work for dirt cheap and I decided to not try to compete - dead idea, but I still have a blog with some traffic. I love programming (and have been doing it on and off for 20 years) so I may return to this blog with a different focus.

I've written an ebook and published it to the amazon store, this past week. No traction on this yet. I will be reaching out to some of you for advice on marketing it.

I was inspired by SinisterLex's posts and have created an Upwork profile. I'm focusing on getting work on writing / proof reading and trying to create some real value for the market place. I want to try my hand at copy, so I'll be joining the group over in the other thread for accountability.

That's it for now. I hope I can add something to this forum, since there is so much good stuff going on here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Isn't it crazy how you have a plan and then the system is like NOPE and they show you the door. I'll never feel completely safe in a job, it's a numbers game and they don't really care that much. But hey that's when the resilient people that can reinvent themselves come through like you did. Keep it up, good luck!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome introduction brother, great to have you here. (And out of the shadow transients!)

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks, MJ!

I forgot to mention, I also read your book :p

What color lambo should I get? I'm leaning towards hot pink.

I jest :p

fastattack03

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 15, 2013
Welcome to the forum!

Are you planning to offer programming on upwork? I think it's going to work out pretty well for you since you love doing it.

Good luck man!

Bit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 2, 2015
Boston, MA
Welcome aboard!

An intel engineer?! Thats pretty wild, can't say I have met one before (in person or on a forum). Like magical unicorns.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome to the forum!

Are you planning to offer programming on upwork? I think it's going to work out pretty well for you since you love doing it.

Good luck man!

I have been considering it, but I don't have a knack for web design and my development skills are weak. I plan to work on it in my free time. If I can offer value to clients, then I will expand into software.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome aboard!

An intel engineer?! Thats pretty wild, can't say I have met one before (in person or on a forum). Like magical unicorns.

It takes a special kind of person to last at Intel for an entire career. I like to call them kool-aid guzzlers :)

In all seriousness, the organization taught me many values and I'm grateful for my time there. I can't say I miss the work environment, though.

Bit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 2, 2015
Boston, MA
It takes a special kind of person to last at Intel for an entire career. I like to call them kool-aid guzzlers :)

In all seriousness, the organization taught me many values and I'm grateful for my time there. I can't say I miss the work environment, though.

Well as an Sys Admin, I just want to say that I am happy that XEON's exist with 6 cores. :)

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
I see i am not alone. There is a lot of IT people on this forum....System Analyst\Web developer btw.:tiphat:

Welcome...i just made it out of lurk status a few weeks ago...

sadly atleast 600+ people are lurking every time i check...glad you made that first step.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Great intro, welcome!

Intax

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2016
Munich, Germany
I read your other post which inspired me much to deal better with my problem solving.

I wonder how it went for you. Could you successfully sell your ebook and what do you do right now?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I saw this thread and I'm like "Wuh? How is @lowtek a lurker?"

Then I saw the thread was years old.

I hope I can add something to this forum, since there is so much good stuff going on here.

You certainly have my friend, thanks for being an integral part of the community.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I read your other post which inspired me much to deal better with my problem solving.

I wonder how it went for you. Could you successfully sell your ebook and what do you do right now?

haha, thread necro +1

Currently I'm working on building a software product that utilizes machine learning to solve a nuisance problem in the ecom space.

I have an INSIDERS' execution thread... that I need to post an update to, because it's overdue for one.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I saw this thread and I'm like "Wuh? How is @lowtek a lurker?"

Then I saw the thread was years old.

You certainly have my friend, thanks for being an integral part of the community.

Thanks MJ. I'm just happy a place like this exists. It's a true oasis in the desert of the internet.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...