The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Engineering student and becoming a Fastlaner

dior616

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 9, 2017
Texas
Hello world, I recently joined a couple months back before reading Unscripted . I had read TMF in 2014 but Unscripted was a kick in my a$$.

Anyways, I'm going into basically my 2nd year in college studying Mechanical and Energy Engineering full-time. I've made incremental changes since reading Unscripted like cutting off distractions(people, social media, etc.), getting a part-time job(for emergency fund/going about entrepreneurial stuff), and executing what needs to be done to become unscripted (guilty of action-faking sometimes).

As much as I'd like to call quits every semester, I simply can't. So, I'm doing my best to balance my slowlane and fastlane priorities.

I'd love to hear some tips or advice if you're in a similar spot or in general.

Lastly, a HUGE thank you to MJ and everyone in this community, it always reminds me I'm not alone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome and thanks for the intro!

2nd year in college studying Mechanical and Energy Engineering full-time.

Sounds like a great, emerging field.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Welcome to the forum. It's a great place, and has helped me transition from engineer to entrepreneur! You can too!

What type of business are you interested in?

dior616

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 9, 2017
Texas
What type of business are you interested in?

At first I planned on doing apps, but I needed something that I could invest time up-front more than money. So right now I'm looking at subscription-based services and ecommerce.

I still have to learn about other models(maybe you know a source or thread that shows different types). I try to stay away from trends like drop-shipping, marketing, consulting, etc. because they don't seem like real businesses.

dior616

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 9, 2017
Texas
There are as many business models as there are businesses. With your education, have you considered product invention & innovation? Might be a good fit.

I haven't really done much consideration. Reinventing the wheel seems intimidating for now, but I will look into innovation as I go along my degree.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Welcome to the forum. I'm an engineer as well (chemical) and run a business. My main business is to the point where I'm spending very little time on it, so I spend the majority of my time learning my degree in hopes to start a specialized business in the chemical industry after I graduate(I pay all of my school out of pocket so I'm in no debt).

I think technical degrees are good if you plan to use your degree to start a business in that field, it's a pretty massive barrier to entry. If you aren't going to pursue that route, you can get a good paying job in the industry while you work on your business. The downside is you'll have to manage your debt on top of that.

To get a business going while in school...
The initial stages a rough, because it requires a lot of your time and serious dedication if you want to be successful in both things. If this is something you truly want to do, it's going to take many 16 hour days. If your business follows the fastlane commandments, once you get it going it won't require as much of your time though.

Best of luck to you on your journey.

dior616

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 9, 2017
Texas
Welcome to the forum. I'm an engineer as well (chemical) and run a business. My main business is to the point where I'm spending very little time on it, so I spend the majority of my time learning my degree in hopes to start a specialized business in the chemical industry after I graduate(I pay all of my school out of pocket so I'm in no debt).

I think technical degrees are good if you plan to use your degree to start a business in that field, it's a pretty massive barrier to entry. If you aren't going to pursue that route, you can get a good paying job in the industry while you work on your business. The downside is you'll have to manage your debt on top of that.

To get a business going while in school...
The initial stages a rough, because it requires a lot of your time and serious dedication if you want to be successful in both things. If this is something you truly want to do, it's going to take many 16 hour days. If your business follows the fastlane commandments, once you get it going it won't require as much of your time though.

Best of luck to you on your journey.

Thank you! Fortunately, my parents are paying for pretty much everything and I made a deal that when I graduate, they will retire.

Best of luck to you as well!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...