The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

End of year tax strategies

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

M-M

New Contributor
Aug 27, 2007
NC
I hope this questions isn't too dumb. I'm just still fairly tax illiterate.

Is there anything I should take care of before the year ends? Anything that will benefit me? Anything involving my S-Corp?

Thanks for any help.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2007

Is there anything I should take care of before the year ends? Anything that will benefit me? Anything involving my S-Corp?

Thanks for any help.

I have no easy answer other than a blatant plug. Check out my website TaxLoopholes. I blog every day on this very topic (so check every day), read "Loopholes of the Rich" (free book - thank you MJ for making that happen) and if you're really serious, join my "First Class Lounge" on TaxLoopholes - first 30 days are free and the weekly online workshops this month are the series "Last Minute Loopholes."

M-M

New Contributor
Aug 27, 2007
NC
Thank you. I ordered the free book (thank you again) and I'll check out your blog.

Megan H

New Contributor
Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Hi,

Here are 2 things I can think of:

1. Is your S Corp up to date in its Secretary of State filings?
2. Do you have an outside Resident Agent, and are you current with them?

As a resident agent business, this is the time of year I prepare a list of all clients who haven't paid their bills or responded to me. In January we make a special filing to drop them as clients. That means they have 30 days to find a new resident agent or risk being administratively dissolved. Agents don't have to notify anyone except the Secretary of State, so if you're in this situation you may not even know your dissolved until something bad happens and you go looking for corporate protection you no longer have.

Megan

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs

Thanks for any help.

If you have a business that sells a product and you've made a profit this year -- reload your inventory big time before the end of the year, so that you offset your profits with expenses. I always take a look at my business's income at the end of the year, and if there is any -- I spend on inventory and fill up my warehouse.

Also if you haven't made some charitable gifts -- do so now, and get multiple receipts from multiple charities.

- Hakrjak

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2007
If you have a business that sells a product and you've made a profit this year -- reload your inventory big time before the end of the year, so that you offset your profits with expenses. I always take a look at my business's income at the end of the year, and if there is any -- I spend on inventory and fill up my warehouse.

- Hakrjak

Not sure I'm following this - inventory is an asset, so it's not a deduction until you sell the item and then it's COGS.

Some people mistakenly think that because they have a cash basis for their accounting that they can take the expense. But you should actually be hybrid. IRS is really cracking down on retailers who don't show end of year inventory on their tax returns, so it's a red flag for an audit as well.

Please review what you're doing with your CPA - maybe I"m missing something unique to your situation.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I stand corrected. I'm not sure how this is helping me, if at all then. Maybe she is depreciating the heck out of my inventory? My taxes are so complicated with all the real estate, business, and job income stuff -- I don't even try to understand it, I just hand it over to my CPA at the end of the year.

Guess I need to read some more of your book that you just sent me ;) Stayed up with it last night, thanks again!

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Bought most of your Freelance courses tonight with the Black Friday discount. I'll get started...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
It's taken a long time to write this but I wanted to be honest and real. I had to get it off my...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom