The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

End of year tax strategies

Taxes and regulation

M-M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2007
NC
I hope this questions isn't too dumb. I'm just still fairly tax illiterate.

Is there anything I should take care of before the year ends? Anything that will benefit me? Anything involving my S-Corp?

Thanks for any help.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007

Is there anything I should take care of before the year ends? Anything that will benefit me? Anything involving my S-Corp?

Thanks for any help.

I have no easy answer other than a blatant plug. Check out my website TaxLoopholes. I blog every day on this very topic (so check every day), read "Loopholes of the Rich" (free book - thank you MJ for making that happen) and if you're really serious, join my "First Class Lounge" on TaxLoopholes - first 30 days are free and the weekly online workshops this month are the series "Last Minute Loopholes."

M-M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2007
NC
Thank you. I ordered the free book (thank you again) and I'll check out your blog.

Megan H

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Hi,

Here are 2 things I can think of:

1. Is your S Corp up to date in its Secretary of State filings?
2. Do you have an outside Resident Agent, and are you current with them?

As a resident agent business, this is the time of year I prepare a list of all clients who haven't paid their bills or responded to me. In January we make a special filing to drop them as clients. That means they have 30 days to find a new resident agent or risk being administratively dissolved. Agents don't have to notify anyone except the Secretary of State, so if you're in this situation you may not even know your dissolved until something bad happens and you go looking for corporate protection you no longer have.

Megan

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs

Thanks for any help.

If you have a business that sells a product and you've made a profit this year -- reload your inventory big time before the end of the year, so that you offset your profits with expenses. I always take a look at my business's income at the end of the year, and if there is any -- I spend on inventory and fill up my warehouse.

Also if you haven't made some charitable gifts -- do so now, and get multiple receipts from multiple charities.

- Hakrjak

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
If you have a business that sells a product and you've made a profit this year -- reload your inventory big time before the end of the year, so that you offset your profits with expenses. I always take a look at my business's income at the end of the year, and if there is any -- I spend on inventory and fill up my warehouse.

- Hakrjak

Not sure I'm following this - inventory is an asset, so it's not a deduction until you sell the item and then it's COGS.

Some people mistakenly think that because they have a cash basis for their accounting that they can take the expense. But you should actually be hybrid. IRS is really cracking down on retailers who don't show end of year inventory on their tax returns, so it's a red flag for an audit as well.

Please review what you're doing with your CPA - maybe I"m missing something unique to your situation.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I stand corrected. I'm not sure how this is helping me, if at all then. Maybe she is depreciating the heck out of my inventory? My taxes are so complicated with all the real estate, business, and job income stuff -- I don't even try to understand it, I just hand it over to my CPA at the end of the year.

Guess I need to read some more of your book that you just sent me ;) Stayed up with it last night, thanks again!

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.