The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

emotional......(hardships?)

Anything related to matters of the mind

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
II was reading MJ DeMarco's UNSCRIPTED and there was a forum post in there(around page 38) and I don't know the exact words, but it went something like: "I plan to be entreprenuer and my parents keep yelling and shouting at me, I can handle the yelling and shouting, but my mom said my dad is being depressed because I'm not getting a job".
How do you guys handle the the emotional hardship associated with going against the normality of your society?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
There's two types of people in the world... the people who live in the valley, and the people who want to climb the mountain.

That mountain could represent your own entrepreneurial dreams, a change in lifestyle, or just about anything you want to do, become, or have in your life.

Here's the challenge: when you go to climb that mountain, many people in the valley will say and do things to deter you. Not because they want to see you fail, not because they want you to be unhappy but because they're scared that if you go, you're never coming back.

They're going to lose you.

And it's true to an extent. Even if you "physically" come back from climbing the mountain -- it changes you. You won't come back the same person.

So to put yourself in their shoes... here's Nick. Their pride and joy. They want to protect him, keep him safe, and never want him to get hurt. So they -- and many others -- with great intentions will beg, plead, and even lash out to make sure you don't do something "stupid" that would take you away from them.

The first step is understanding.

All communication is either a loving response or a cry for help.

That depression is a cry for help. Maybe if I am sad, he'll feel bad and stay here in the valley with us.

See it as it is. We're all human. They are your parents, sure... but they are also human beings with their own conditioning, thoughts, beliefs -- and many of them (no matter how hard they tried to instill their beliefs on you) have DIFFERENT beliefs about how life should be and what it should look like.

The second step is communication.

You must to learn how to communicate your hopes and dreams not just to your parents, friends, and family but first to YOURSELF... and then when you can communicate that value to other people that's when you can influence and SELL a product or service.

The third step is reality.

While you're climbing the mountain, you still need a roof over your head, food in your belly, and gas in the car. The intelligent entrepreneur gets a job -- not just to have a job -- but as a means to an end. To build capital to take care of yourself while you build. To learn skills you are lacking in sales, marketing, communication -- or anything else important in your field.

I don't know how old you are but if your parents are paying the bills... you'll have to at the very least listen and make some compromises (if you want to keep peace within the household).

With that being said -- the mature person says "I hear your cries for help, I'm going to do my best to alleviate them, AND I'm still going to go do this."

P.S.

Having no knowledge of your background -- we do see a lot of people who come and go on this forum who are "building a business" which translates to playing video games in their parent's basement all night.

I hope that's not you but if it is, I'd rethink the goal.

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
There's two types of people in the world... the people who live in the valley, and the people who want to climb the mountain.

That mountain could represent your own entrepreneurial dreams, a change in lifestyle, or just about anything you want to do, become, or have in your life.

Here's the challenge: when you go to climb that mountain, many people in the valley will say and do things to deter you. Not because they want to see you fail, not because they want you to be unhappy but because they're scared that if you go, you're never coming back.

They're going to lose you.

And it's true to an extent. Even if you "physically" come back from climbing the mountain -- it changes you. You won't come back the same person.

So to put yourself in their shoes... here's Nick. Their pride and joy. They want to protect him, keep him safe, and never want him to get hurt. So they -- and many others -- with great intentions will beg, plead, and even lash out to make sure you don't do something "stupid" that would take you away from them.

The first step is understanding.

All communication is either a loving response or a cry for help.

That depression is a cry for help. Maybe if I am sad, he'll feel bad and stay here in the valley with us.

See it as it is. We're all human. They are your parents, sure... but they are also human beings with their own conditioning, thoughts, beliefs -- and many of them (no matter how hard they tried to instill their beliefs on you) have DIFFERENT beliefs about how life should be and what it should look like.

The second step is communication.

You must to learn how to communicate your hopes and dreams not just to your parents, friends, and family but first to YOURSELF... and then when you can communicate that value to other people that's when you can influence and SELL a product or service.

The third step is reality.

While you're climbing the mountain, you still need a roof over your head, food in your belly, and gas in the car. The intelligent entrepreneur gets a job -- not just to have a job -- but as a means to an end. To build capital to take care of yourself while you build. To learn skills you are lacking in sales, marketing, communication -- or anything else important in your field.

I don't know how old you are but if your parents are paying the bills... you'll have to at the very least listen and make some compromises (if you want to keep peace within the household).

With that being said -- the mature person says "I hear your cries for help, I'm going to do my best to alleviate them, AND I'm still going to go do this."

P.S.

Having no knowledge of your background -- we do see a lot of people who come and go on this forum who are "building a business" which translates to playing video games in their parent's basement all night.

I hope that's not you but if it is, I'd rethink the goal.
haha, dont worry. I dont plan to JUST do youtube, I plan to have 2 major compaanies in my lifetime as well as a snake breeding program and a reptile sancuary(the worlds needs more) as well as some more very epic ventures; personal and buisness related.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Earn the first dollar, and then 100, and so on.

When you experience that first sale.....there's no going back, and why would you NOT WANT TO GO AGAINST normality?

I'm gonna whip out an MJ quote here....

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
II was reading MJ DeMarco's UNSCRIPTED and there was a forum post in there(around page 38) and I don't know the exact words, but it went something like: "I plan to be entreprenuer and my parents keep yelling and shouting at me, I can handle the yelling and shouting, but my mom said my dad is being depressed because I'm not getting a job".
How do you guys handle the the emotional hardship associated with going against the normality of your society?
You cannot.

There is an option of making strategic compromise. Do a job that is not too mentally demanding and have spare time to do the business. There is extra cash to make life and business easier.

No job-Family Stress-Poor performance in Business-More family stress (See I told you to get a job)....Vicious cycle.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
You cannot.

Maybe you can't.

@Nick perry01 here is a PERFECT example of someone's conditioned beliefs coming through in communication.

Beliefs about what's possible, what's not. Beliefs about what you can do and what you can't.

If you can't you must, and if you must you can.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Maybe you can't.

@Nick perry01 here is a PERFECT example of someone's conditioned beliefs coming through in communication.

Beliefs about what's possible, what's not. Beliefs about what you can do and what you can't.

If you can't you must, and if you must you can.
I am open minded to change my opinion anytime if he has valid reasons on why he MUST do entrepreneurship full-time risking to upset his parents so much and not having an income anytime soon.

Based on the circumstances he faces in, it seems working a job and doing a business at the side is the most appropriate thing to do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.