The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Elon Musk acquires Twitter, Discuss

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Looks like Twitter refuses to verify the # of bots on the website which they claim is 5%. I'd bet it's more like 25% which is why such extreme, radical viewpoints seem so mainstream.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bones81

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 29, 2019
Imagine entering into $44bn deal before doing any actual due diligence.

This is going to get messy. My gut feel is Elon has buyer's remorse and is using this as an excuse to try to avoid the $1bn breakup fee.

Let the lawsuits begin (or actually increase since Twitter's shareholders have already sued him).

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Looks like Twitter refuses to verify the # of bots on the website which they claim is 5%. I'd bet it's more like 25% which is why such extreme, radical viewpoints seem so mainstream.

The acquisition is probably not going to happen. And maybe it's for the better. Twitter is a shitty, toxic platform.

Elon would do better starting his own social network from scratch.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
The acquisition is probably not going to happen. And maybe it's for the better. Twitter is a shitty, toxic platform.

I wonder if he knew that from the start.

Kinda reminds me of that scene in batman where he fakes a deal to just get a closer look at the books...

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I wonder if he knew that from the start.

Kinda reminds me of that scene in batman where he fakes a deal to just get a closer look at the books...

What if he wanted to expose Twitter's problem with bots to make it easier for him to start his own platform?

the-plot-thickens-59c11a.jpg

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Don't you think we already have enough social media platforms ran by DARPA assets? We don't need another one!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Don't you think we already have enough social media platforms ran by DARPA assets? We don't need another one!

If he follows the decentralized path it might be different.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
If he follows the decentralized path it might be different.

How would he make it profitable for himself if it’s decentralized? To me that’s the key question and why I don’t see it.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
How would he make it profitable for himself if it’s decentralized? To me that’s the key question and why I don’t see it.

He doesn't need monetary profits. He'd gain enough from even more influence.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
He doesn't need monetary profits. He'd gain enough from even more influence.

You'll have to elaborate for me, I don't follow.

Here is my logic:

Bezos buys WP - centralized - he has influence and (maybe) profits.
Elon buys decentralized platform - either as owner he has influence on who's banned and what is being said - or he gives the voting (fully DAO) to members, thinking blockchain type. Then he has no influence (no more than he currently has with twitter followers). I don't see how he's better off. Why spend this much money to "give it away"?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
You'll have to elaborate for me, I don't follow.

Here is my logic:

Bezos buys WP - centralized - he has influence and (maybe) profits.
Elon buys decentralized platform - either as owner he has influence on who's banned and what is being said - or he gives the voting (fully DAO) to members, thinking blockchain type. Then he has no influence (no more than he currently has with twitter followers). I don't see how he's better off. Why spend this much money to "give it away"?

Look at any guy who has created open source software. They don't profit from it directly and often they don't even have any control. Yet, they're extremely influential, just because they made this new cool thing everybody is using.

This, plus Elon would get tons of press for creating his own platform and it would attract even more followers.

Having said that, I have no idea what he plans to do. I don't see him buying Twitter anymore and I think that Twitter is beyond saving.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I don't see him buying Twitter anymore and I think that Twitter is beyond saving.

And I know why… because I decided to give Twitter a go, I ruined it haha.

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Look at any guy who has created open source software. They don't profit from it directly and often they don't even have any control. Yet, they're extremely influential, just because they made this new cool thing everybody is using.

This, plus Elon would get tons of press for creating his own platform and it would attract even more followers.

Having said that, I have no idea what he plans to do. I don't see him buying Twitter anymore and I think that Twitter is beyond saving.
Also, these companies can offer consulting services to help with their open source software - from "certified" experts (certified by themselves, that is!)

Since the company owner would know how the software/platform works, he could offer consulting services for those who want an edge. It would be kind of like hiring a Google engineer as a consultant to help you understand the search algorithm and improve your SEO.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Maybe this is my bias, but whatever happens, I think Elon had some kind of plan. I don't think he's the type of guy to just "wing it" when it comes to a $44 billion acquisition offer.

His past track record tells me he knows what he's doing. Maybe it is a PR stunt. Maybe it is a turnaround offer. Maybe it's to cover his tracks as he sells off some TSLA stocks. Who knows his strategy?

What I do know is he's arguably the richest man in the world and that speaks for itself. I think he knows what he's doing (good or evil).

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

Just shooting shit here… but Elon being richest in the world, with constant coverage on him… how much more publicity do you think he needs or wants?

I only see him doing it if it serves some bigger agenda. Like profits.

Running Tesla, SpaceX, SolarCity … and launching a new social media platform. Without some complimentary control / profit / influence / promotion / sales - I don’t see it.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Stephen Banon claimed Elon could walk away, now after the dirt of twitter is in the open, then the price would colapse and then he can come back and buy it for half the price or maybe even less.

So far it looks like he may be doing just that.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
He won't buy Twitter. He's a troll and a scammer.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Just shooting shit here… but Elon being richest in the world, with constant coverage on him… how much more publicity do you think he needs or wants?

Colonizing Mars is an expensive hobby.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016

Leaked Slack video call with Elon Musk by Project Veritas where Twitter's HR interviews Elon on what his plans for the future of Twitter look like. During the call, you can hear Elon dodging questions regarding topics such as "believing in diversity in the workplace" by explaining that he believes in meritocracy.

As this call went on, hundreds/thousands of Twitter employees (a.k.a The Offended Crew) took to Slack to ask hard-hitting questions such as: "Elon, pronouns are extremely important to us here at Twitter, will you please add your pronouns to your bio to show you share Twitter's values?" and many more blatantly unprofessional ones that are bound to elicit a visceral reaction if you were to read them:

Last edited:

Bones81

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 29, 2019
No surprise here. Guess what he won't be doing next? Buying back all that TSLA stock he sold to fund the acquisition.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
81FD8808-DD81-4F78-9E13-6AA3DB2CF5F4.jpeg791F95D1-C77C-4B49-909D-00A6B4C6DF92.jpeg
Whatever comes of this I love the trolling, the exposure of Twitters woke policies and the screams of it’s woke employees. I can’t wait for the part where we find out how 90% of its users are bots and advertisers start suing for refunds

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007