The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Elon Musk acquires Twitter, Discuss

ApeRunner

Very Fast on a Bike
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
May 16, 2014
Cozumel
I don't give a damn.

Bullshit is always democratized.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DealsLibrary

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Oct 1, 2018
The Best Coast
Too much power concentrated, even though I agree w/ Elon about speech, is troublesome.

At some time, these folks go rogue/power-hungry. The last 2 years have illustrated that. And this is the same guy backed by many of the same people and wants to push transhumanism.

Is this good for Twitter users - for the time being. Is it good in the long-run? No.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Twitter is the place where market influencers say things that move markets.

When Elon shill his bag no one can stop him now.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Too much power concentrated, even though I agree w/ Elon about speech, is troublesome.

At some time, these folks go rogue/power-hungry. The last 2 years have illustrated that. And this is the same guy backed by many of the same people and wants to push transhumanism.

Is this good for Twitter users - for the time being. Is it good in the long-run? No.
Not sure how it was much better previously when it was owned by companies like Blackrock, Vangaurd, Morgan Stanley and the Public Investing Company of the Saudi Arabian government.

DealsLibrary

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Oct 1, 2018
The Best Coast
Not sure how it was much better previously when it was owned by companies like Blackrock, Vangaurd, Morgan Stanley and the Public Investing Company of the Saudi Arabian government.
Yeah, that's my point. Many of those folks are big investors in Tesla. So, unless Elon enables free speech on the platform (and makes other improvements), it's no bueno at all. But if he does those things, in the interim, it's good for users. In the long run, nope.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Tesla and Twitter are structured entirely different at a shareholder level. At Tesla Musk has supervoting shares which allows him to control the company completely. Twitter before it went private was governed by normal shares so it was a simple majority rules.

otek

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 26, 2021
Musk started when internet was truly free, he built internet companies Zip2, X.com (later Paypal) and sold them. He seems to have the classical free speech ethos. Twitter drifted from that. Why not just buy Twitter when you can and try to bring back freedom?

Maybe The banning of Babylon Bee (his favorite satire) was The last straw.

Also, If Musk manages to grow Twitter, he gains himself more followers. He can more effecticely use Twitter in marketing his vision and products. Additionally lessens The risk that he somehow loses his 80 million plus followers after shitposting. He is now free to post offending memes.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Maybe I like Elon too much but this move actually makes me want to start using Twitter more and see how I can use it for my business. As a person who generally doesn't like social media, I guess that says a lot about how I believe in Elon LOL.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Maybe I like Elon too much but this move actually makes me want to start using Twitter more and see how I can use it for my business. As a person who generally doesn't like social media, I guess that says a lot about how I believe in Elon LOL.

I’ve re-started using Twitter for this reason. Judge me world. Whatever. I like Elon, and think he’ll make it better. He’ll surely integrate some Crypro/ Blockchain; and I want to be there as a person and for my business.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I haven't really done my research on this but my observation is that Elon bought Twitter because it'll help him get to Mars quicker.

Why? Because that's his ultimate life goal. The catharsis of his existence. And he needs a shit ton of money to do it in his lifetime.

In fact, I remember reading somewhere (or heard it in a podcast with him) that EVERYTHING he ever does i.e every move he does in business is such that it has to have an impact on him getting to Mars, or else he wouldn't even bother.

Last year, Elon suddenly became the #1 richest man on the planet right around that period when he was hyping the F*ck out of dogecoin. It then absolutely BLEW UP in popularity across the globe and he, I presume, cashed out on his dogecoin. Boom, move over Jeff Bezos.

What I'm seeing is that Elon has been using his influence in combination with the Twitter platform as a way to manipulate the crypto market and amass even greater amounts of wealth to fund his long-term goals.

But why would he need to buy Twitter, then?

Because it guarantees him the option to do it again and again without worrying about his account getting deleted by Twitter - which could've happened due to a TOS infringement OR an interference by influential people whose plans have been ruined following Elon's actions OR even governments that are unhappy with the way Elon is affecting hundreds of millions of people with his stances on things. In short, because of the locus of control.

These are my observations and I would be happy to be proven wrong. But for now, I believe it's a long con type of situation.
I thought this allready, too. May be we should use that knowledge in the next bullrun. Every time, Musk pushes Doge(orShiba) it makes 1000% in one or two days.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Aside from EV/solar subsidies (which I understand ALL EV/solar companies get) and his efficiencies for re-using rockets in SpaceX (which often wins him contracts over other providers), what government money does he get?

I'm not saying I support ANY of those subsidies (I don't), but I'm also not about to return a "stimulus" check because I'm morally opposed to them. So I'm hard-pressed to criticize him for these, especially when in a single year he has paid more taxes than all US politicians combined, and he's following the rules those politicians set.
Same as all big corporations. Giant tax breaks for building big thingy making plants/offices in a particular place.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Maybe this is a simple question, but I have never seen this type of deal before...

If you bought 1,000 shares a month ago, you now lose those shares but get $54,200?

Like what happens to everyone holding shares - they just all get cashed out?
(Seems like a lot of work to do that???)
Typically it doesn't work like that for public companies. It's your individual decision to sell or not. Majority shareholders can't compel minority shareholders to sell. That's the reason for making a tender offer well above market price. The exceptions are specialized shareholder agreements in private companies where every shareholder agrees to play ball, but I can't imagine any publicly held company having such a policy in place. Keep in mind that most shares are held by institutional investors who don't appreciate being under someone else's thumb or being forced to sell against their wishes.

Even if allowed, why would the company even bother? The board members already have complete control of operations.

Silverfox148

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Apr 17, 2017
Musk is a big hustler (rightly or wrongly) anyone who doesn't think so, do so at your own peril.
I don't dislike him for a being a good hustler, he seems like a cool person(doesn't mean he is not a hustler).

One of the hunches I have is that Musk has accepted that the institutions are failing/about to fail big in the West and he is positioning himself to have a greater share of the power as traditional institutions become less relevant. He may have been converted to the decentralized/NFT/crypto mindset he isn't the only billionaire lately to have such a conversion.

One of the Weinstein brothers put it this way in a podcast I listened to last year not specifically referring to Musk but to the US billionaires, "The billionaires know the party is ending, and they know the pin~ata is about to be broken and they are positioning themselves to grab the most candy". This sounds about right to me, Twitter is where the culture or at least what remains of it is getting set , the narratives, the movements, etc.

Controlling that gives you a ton of power, especially as a private company , to believe otherwise is naive. Again read the autobiography by Ashley Vance, this guy is not what some are thinking he is. Elon if he actually gains control of Twitter will have a huge influence over the US Government and the policy that it takes towards his business interests when the pin~ata breaks, he is buying a shield/protection. This happens all the time in Latin America in places like Mexico where the billionaires own the mediums via which public discourse/movements form/get fuel.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Personally I don't give a rat's butt. I stopped paying attention to Twitter and Tweets a long time ago. Nothing but a place for ill-informed morons from all sides of the political spectrum to vomit stupidity and lies. I suspect there may be some truth in there somewhere, but I don't want to wade through the cesspool of human excrement to find it.

Somewhere a long the way we humans seemed to have lost the responsibility gene. It's now OK to lie, make stuff up or misrepresent the truth if one gets enough likes or follows. The truth no longer matters. Get caught in a lie, no problem - just repeat it enough and get your brainwashed followers to "like and share". There you go, it can't be a lie if so many idiots believe it. Left/Right, doesn't matter.

Freedom of speech carries with it great responsibility. But far too many people take NO responsibility for what they post, tweet or otherwise put up on social media. Why should they if they are not held responsible for what they say - even if it is untrue or dangerous. Musk will be just like every other very rich (and therefore powerful) human and fall victim to his weaknesses at the expense of...well whoever he disagrees with. There's a reason we have so many catchy phrases about the relationship between power and corruption.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Great question, and I'm not sure as I never had this occur to me as an investor. I'm guessing it would be subject to whatever rules are in place for common shares. My default inclination is that your shares are liquidated at the offer price on a certain date.
Yes, I had shares of a company that went private. One day I got a lump sum ($XX x number of shares) in my account and the stock was gone from my account.

AviatorS

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 28, 2018
Just announced! Agreement is reached and this deal is going down!
What are some implications and narratives that will come of this?
Guaranteed crypto hits new ATHs. Not to be speculative, but three things going on that cause me to think this.

1. Elon Musk loves crypto. He has magic powers that make it pump regularly.
2. Web 3.0 is a quickly evolving sector and crypto integration, digital identity, etc. are going to be the future. Most don't know this, Twitter actually has some major stake in digital identity tech coming.
3. BTC hash rate has been reaching ATHs. Price always follows, with current price cycles are taking longer, but it will hit new ATHs.

Just my personal opinion, but looking for trends or narratives, this is one I'm watching from this. Definitely going to be some big opportunities there.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

FRT8AgzaUAAd28x

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Personally I don't give a rat's butt. I stopped paying attention to Twitter and Tweets a long time ago. Nothing but a place for ill-informed morons from all sides of the political spectrum to vomit stupidity and lies. I suspect there may be some truth in there somewhere, but I don't want to wade through the cesspool of human excrement to find it.

Somewhere a long the way we humans seemed to have lost the responsibility gene. It's now OK to lie, make stuff up or misrepresent the truth if one gets enough likes or follows. The truth no longer matters. Get caught in a lie, no problem - just repeat it enough and get your brainwashed followers to "like and share". There you go, it can't be a lie if so many idiots believe it. Left/Right, doesn't matter.

Freedom of speech carries with it great responsibility. But far too many people take NO responsibility for what they post, tweet or otherwise put up on social media. Why should they if they are not held responsible for what they say - even if it is untrue or dangerous. Musk will be just like every other very rich (and therefore powerful) human and fall victim to his weaknesses at the expense of...well whoever he disagrees with. There's a reason we have so many catchy phrases about the relationship between power and corruption.
I was on Twitter for a bit last year and thought it was great. I never saw any political or woke stuff, just tech stuff. My feed slowly starting filling with money Twitter when I got into a publishing schedule instead of just interacting with people… so I left, but before that I made loads of great connections. I think Twitter’s strength is the ability to network with other business owners and interesting people - so long as you move in those circles.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
2. Web 3.0 is a quickly evolving sector and crypto integration, digital identity, etc. are going to be the future. Most don't know this, Twitter actually has some major stake in digital identity tech coming.
Yeah. He might have told everyone it’s about free speech, but I suspect Elon is thinking of the digital identities and platform he’s just acquired as we head into Web3.0 and the metaverse. I’m sure he’ll figure out how to get ROI.

McAdam

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jan 11, 2022
Canary Islands
As far as I remember Elon said something about letting as many people as possible keep the shares in the private company so maybe you'll be able to choose what you want to do. But I assume this would only be available for people who bought the shares before a specific date and people who own quite a bit, not just 1 share.
Limit is 2000 IIRC - saw it mentioned somewhere

Twitter is the place where market influencers say things that move markets.

When Elon shill his bag no one can stop him now.

Not just Elon - any public figure.

What's the difference from mentioning a coin, or a new burger they tried.
At any stage in life, you should have the right to share your views, opinions and thoughts.
If millions of guppies follow your every word, are you to blame?

Yes there's some moral questions of "if you know people would jump off a cliff, should you hide going BASE jumping " - but the world is not moral, and if you put morality ahead of everything then there's no way you can have a business.
Im not saying business is immoral, but morality is a wide spectrum, people fall all over it. At the highest end you'll be a monk somewhere, at the bottom likely already in jail.

----

One big think Elon is pushing for is Free Speech - not the US constitution version of it, but actual free speech.
For him and twitter (from what ive gathered) that means that what you say is equal to what I say - we both get treated equally in whatever we say. Right now twitter is far from that. WHAT you say determines how its treated. Say something they want to push, and your tweet gets preferred, say something they want to crush and it gets hidden.

Free speech isn't being able to say what you want, its being treated equally to the next person.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I was on Twitter for a bit last year and thought it was great. I never saw any political or woke stuff, just tech stuff. My feed slowly starting filling with money Twitter when I got into a publishing schedule instead of just interacting with people… so I left, but before that I made loads of great connections. I think Twitter’s strength is the ability to network with other business owners and interesting people - so long as you move in those circles.
Interesting - I wonder if I can delete everything and start over to see how it plays out? Thus far, my experiences on Twitter have been a terrible waste of time.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

AviatorS

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 28, 2018
What is "money Twitter?"
They've already changed their algorithms.
Probably showing more of topics you tend to follow rather than forcing narratives.

Money twitter is probably all the financial gurus all over twitter. Posts about markets, that sort of thing.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What is "money Twitter?"
It’s that how to make money online, hustle till you die, I’m a high ticket closer, warrior-forum guru crap. Everyone seemed to be building a following to sell a course on building a following.

There’s groups of them giving shoutouts to each other and passing their audiences back and forth.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There’s groups of them giving shoutouts to each other and passing their audiences back and forth.

Ah yes, the MMO racket of scamming the same audience and passing them around through the cartel. I see nothing has changed in 10 years.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Limit is 2000 IIRC - saw it mentioned somewhere

Not just Elon - any public figure.

What's the difference from mentioning a coin, or a new burger they tried.
At any stage in life, you should have the right to share your views, opinions and thoughts.
If millions of guppies follow your every word, are you to blame?

Yes there's some moral questions of "if you know people would jump off a cliff, should you hide going BASE jumping " - but the world is not moral, and if you put morality ahead of everything then there's no way you can have a business.
Im not saying business is immoral, but morality is a wide spectrum, people fall all over it. At the highest end you'll be a monk somewhere, at the bottom likely already in jail.

----

One big think Elon is pushing for is Free Speech - not the US constitution version of it, but actual free speech.
For him and twitter (from what ive gathered) that means that what you say is equal to what I say - we both get treated equally in whatever we say. Right now twitter is far from that. WHAT you say determines how its treated. Say something they want to push, and your tweet gets preferred, say something they want to crush and it gets hidden.

Free speech isn't being able to say what you want, its being treated equally to the next person.
Of course if he is really for free speech. We will see.

He has a history of battling against the short sellers on mainstream news. Now he owns one of the major platform. Will he tilt rules in his favor now?

He isn’t someone who has no stake in the media war on narratives. It is quite surprising that how much benefit of doubt people is placing on Elon now for upholding free speech.

EV and global warming against traditional automobiles..for instance.

Trait

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jun 22, 2021
Bangladesh
Yea, if I'm being honest, I'm not sure if Elon is a net-positive for the average Joe, or a net-negative. He could be a "Manchurian Billionaire", a culturally palatable icon who can help usher in the NWO with lessor opposition, unlike Gates, Schwab, and the NWO cabal.
So you believe in the NWO? could you give us a small summary on why? I don't believe in it but if you believe it I really want to know why

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.