The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Elon Musk - Could you survive on $1 a day?

Anything related to matters of the mind

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
This was more of an experiment toward his food cost. The thing that stuck out to me was that he wanted to try to live on $30 a month for food. This gave him the realization that making $30 a month was easy. Since he knew he could probably make $30 a month, it covered his food cost, which meant he didn't have to worry about how he was going to be able to pay for food. As long as he was able to generate $30 a month, he'd be able to survive.

I like Elon Musk because of the magnitude of his vision. Most people would think that starting a business to launch rockets into space is impossible. I would bet nearly everyone thinks that is some crazy, impossible task. Musk has a philosophy on life, to change the world, and he finds a way to make it happen.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
To be fair, he did live in Kingston Ontario at the time.

If any of you are familiar with the area, you'd know that living there is enough to make anyone go a little cuckoo

RussRussman18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 8, 2016
Louisiana
Oranges and hot dogs lol a dollar MIGHT buy half an orange and 1 hot dog per day. Unless you are okay with moving like a sloth, being under 100 lb and unhealthy as hell, I would not recommend this. If this actually worked for musk, he must have one wierd a$$ anomaly metabolism. You CAN eat healthy for cheap, but NOT 1$ a day... more like 8-12

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Oranges and hot dogs lol a dollar MIGHT buy half an orange and 1 hot dog per day. Unless you are okay with moving like a sloth, being under 100 lb and unhealthy as hell, I would not recommend this. If this actually worked for musk, he must have one wierd a$$ anomaly metabolism. You CAN eat healthy for cheap, but NOT 1$ a day... more like 8-12
In my place food is extremely overpriced, but for a dollar you can be fed for almost a week, eating oatmeal and drinking clean water.
I still remember the time when I was living like that. The experience was priceless.

G

GuestUser450

For real? Well...

Supermarkets and vendors of those supermarkets throw away tens of billions of pounds of food every year.

1. Find out the store's policy/attitude towards dumpster diving.
2. Show up early with gloves.
3. Swallow pride.
4. Dive & collect.
5. Wash, store and eat.
6. Invest $30/month in yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Where I live you can't even buy anything from the dollar store for $1

And by the way, Elon tried that as an experiment, but he didn't legit do that the whole time he was in university.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014

This thread reminds me of this documentary.

I saw it a while back.

It was pretty intense.

One of the things that struck a chord was seeing their creativity when it came to making money.
They developed these little businesses that were able to change their live's DRAMATICALLY.
It was nothing extraordinary. They barely invested any money into it. And it was real simple stuff.

However, the cool thing though, was just seeing how much their lives became better when they were granted a simple opportunity (that many of us take for granted) and took action. It shows us how positive entreprenurship can be at any level and within any society.

This is also happens to be one of those films that will put you into check.
It really makes us open our eyes to see how fortunate we are. Yet, many of us fail to recognize that and bitch about things all the time.

If you guys haven't watched it, I highly recommend it when you have some time to spare.

Have a great week! :)

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
I think the experiment was to tear down a limiting belief IF I fail I know i can survive off of X amount per month. I think all aspiring single entrepreneurs should establish a base line. That way if you lose a couple grand on a deal you know by living at or close to your baseline you can replenish lost capital for round two.

I honestly dont know at a bare minimum what it will take to survive. Slick tempted to do the challenge scaled down to a week.

kkompoti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 23, 2016
Greece
after reading about the story of elon musk i came across this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/intern-spent-40-days-living-in-his-car-2016-7

is this guy on his way to fastlane? or is he pushing it too far?

also the part that a lot of young men sleep on their vans didn't sound so good.. people that climb rocks as a hobby and live in their vans.. (that is beyond sidewalk.. that is surrendering for life)

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I think the experiment was to tear down a limiting belief IF I fail I know i can survive off of X amount per month. I think all aspiring single entrepreneurs should establish a base line. That way if you lose a couple grand on a deal you know by living at or close to your baseline you can replenish lost capital for round two.

I honestly dont know at a bare minimum what it will take to survive. Slick tempted to do the challenge scaled down to a week.
You hit the nail on the head.

Part of why I like traveling, is that it pushes my limits financially.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
How many of you guys are in fantasy land right now? :)
This is the 10th year of TFF and you have to become a fastlaner this year.

Stop reading how many oranges Elon ate in his college year.

*Note to myself*

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Sure, just flip water in an intersection. Buy case for $1 and sell for $5-$10, drink one bottle to survive and repeat.

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
I tried something like this while bootstrapping in Guangzhou China, turns out I just need $10 a day to survive.

I was staying in a shared hostel room which was only 50 RMB a night which is roughly $7.50 USD
I ate Lo mai gai (sticky rice with chicken) for 3.50 RMB which is only roughly $0.50 USD
And when I wanted to splurg on dinner I ate bo zai fan (Clay pot rice with ribs and spinach) for 12 RMB which is like $1.80 USD
Food can get alot cheaper and healthier when I buy in bulk at farmers market and cooked it myself.

I was a good experience, because it taught me in the absolute worst case scenario... I'd just need to make $10 in my business to survive.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
This thread reminds me of this documentary.
Thanks for pointing out that video. I watched it upon your recommendation, and it was indeed inspirational. It reminds me of a summer I spent in a 3rd world country, 20 years ago. I can guarantee you that the experience forever changed the lives of the 4 college guys in the video, it certainly changed my life.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
I tried something like this while bootstrapping in Guangzhou China, turns out I just need $10 a day to survive.

I was staying in a shared hostel room which was only 50 RMB a night which is roughly $7.50 USD
I ate Lo mai gai (sticky rice with chicken) for 3.50 RMB which is only roughly $0.50 USD
And when I wanted to splurg on dinner I ate bo zai fan (Clay pot rice with ribs and spinach) for 12 RMB which is like $1.80 USD
Food can get alot cheaper and healthier when I buy in bulk at farmers market and cooked it myself.

I was a good experience, because it taught me in the absolute worst case scenario... I'd just need to make $10 in my business to survive.

Not to mention business need cash to survive. Just like you need food.
For business cash is oxygen.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Thanks for pointing out that video. I watched it upon your recommendation, and it was indeed inspirational. It reminds me of a summer I spent in a 3rd world country, 20 years ago. I can guarantee you that the experience forever changed the lives of the 4 college guys in the video, it certainly changed my life.

Glad you liked it @OldFaithful

Traveling truly helps us broaden our perception of the world.

I can imagine that your trip (and theirs) really made a positive impact on your life and thankful for everything you have.

We have it easy in the states. We just don't realize it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.