The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Eliminate distractions with music: achieve silence

Anything related to matters of the mind

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I didn't believe in meditation.

But I felt the power of silence on my 302lb x 5 double overhand deadlifts.

Everything was blocked out; even the pain I felt earlier from dropping a 5.5lb plate on my toe was gone.

All distractions were gone...

Just stand in silence for three minutes.

Credit to Deadmau5 - Desynchronized for assisting with this: used in place of silence.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
1) there is physical noise like our cities filled with urban noise.

The human race is not well adapted to such noisy environnments. we need silence in our lives.

2) and there is " intellectual noise ":

Jack trout was the first author to talk about the problem of too much noise and distractions in our lives.

https://www.google.fr/#q=jack trout positioning

in 1980, he said that we live in the first over communicated society.

think for a moment .

in 1980, there were no internet available for the public, no cell phones, only a few TV channels and radio shows and yet, this was already a society filled with useless distractions.

36 years ago.... while many people here were not even born...

Now we have social medias, billions of webpages, thousands of TV channels and radio broadcastings, cell phones, etc. etc.

people are constantly checking their emails and cell phones like mad robots.

we are robots in a noise machine called society

we can"t live like this anymore in all this physical and intellectual noise.

Last edited:
  • Banned

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
1) there is physical noise like our cities filled with urban noise.

The human race is not well adapted to such noisy environnments. we need silence in our lives.

2) and there is " intellectual noise ":

Jack trout was the first author to talk about the problem of too much noise and distractions in our lives.

https://www.google.fr/#q=jack trout positioning

in 1980, he said that we live in the first over communicated society.

think for a moment .

in 1980, there were no internet available for the public, no cell phones, only a few TV channels and radio shows and yet, this was already a society filled with useless distractions.

36 years ago.... while many people here were not even born...

Now we have social medias, billions of webpages, thousands of TV channels and radio broadcastings, cell phones, etc. etc.

people are constantly checking their emails and cell phones like mad robots.

we are robots in a noise machine called society

we can"t live like this anymore in all this physical and intellectual noise.
Well, I thought that was interesting. But what's your solution?

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I find myself thinking about this topic every once in a while. To reach a state of mind where you can be 100% focused on just merely thinking out what must be done is extremely difficult.

I don't want to sound weird, as most people don't even have the unfortunate experience as I have had. I have only ever reached a complete state of concentration when I was suffering from second impact syndrome (two concussion in a row.) Due to the lack of dopamine in my brain I was not physically able to retrieve information from the outside world for hours on end. This is how the doctors explained it to me. During this time I had zero distractions and my focus was incredible. It was similar to mental imagry training some people do, but I could do this for hours on end without even trying.

Now that I don't have these issues, I find it incredibly difficult to even get close to that state of complete focus due to so many outside stimuli.

My solution may be to simply turn off all communication to the outside world(phones, social media, alarms etc.) Find a very quite spot the triggers no memories, learn to keep focus on single topics and than learn to meditate and use mental imagery.

That is the closest way for me to recreate what was happening to me, during my concussion injuries.

• Banned

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I find myself thinking about this topic every once in a while. To reach a state of mind where you can be 100% focused on just merely thinking out what must be done is extremely difficult.

That's because you're not supposed to [think].

I don't want to sound weird, as most people don't even have the unfortunate experience as I have had. I have only ever reached a complete state of concentration when I was suffering from second impact syndrome (two concussion in a row.) Due to the lack of dopamine in my brain I was not physically able to retrieve information from the outside world for hours on end. This is how the doctors explained it to me. During this time I had zero distractions and my focus was incredible. It was similar to mental imagry training some people do, but I could do this for hours on end without even trying.

Now that I don't have these issues, I find it incredibly difficult to even get close to that state of complete focus due to so many outside stimuli.

My solution may be to simply turn off all communication to the outside world(phones, social media, alarms etc.) Find a very quite spot the triggers no memories, learn to keep focus on single topics and than learn to meditate and use mental imagery.

That is the closest way for me to recreate what was happening to me, during my concussion injuries.

You should stop being afraid of other people judging you for what you are. They will judge you anyways if they want; eliminate their presence (legally).

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
You would probably be interested in sensory deprivation

Wow. You can make a business from just about anything. Who would have thought. I'd assume this is probably the closest I'd get to what I was talking about, minus the drugs :smoking:
I do find it interesting how they to talked about the amount of time that would pass from things like this. I believe I developed this method of coping due to my constant headaches and to try and pass time. I would have entire class periods go by without me even noticing. The amount of knowledge I gained from these experiences were incredible though. Time we'll spent, besides, who needs History and Chemistry ;)

You should stop being afraid of other people judging you for what you are. They will judge you anyways if they want; eliminate their presence (legally).

It really is so important to not try and justify yourself. Its just a waste of time, convicing someone who does not want to be convinced. For myself, I tend to not even bring things up like this. A lot of people are closed minded on many aspects of life. I feel that the FLF community tends to be more inclined to learn new things, thus having a more opened mind type of perspective.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Find a very quite spot the triggers no memories, learn to keep focus on single topics and than learn to meditate and use mental imagery.
I have to agree with this, the best places for me are new places where there are no mental emotional images or triggers. I think for some people like me I always used mental imagery before I even knew what is was when I was younger. I think naturally you have images, like when you think of the past, this is where people remember and event, there is usually a visual image of the triggering event.

So it's really learning to be neutral about the mental image from past events, and being done with it. Training your mind to focus on the now. So yes diverting your attention to new scenery with no triggers gives you a neutral space to be centered and balanced. Visualization and meditation helped train the focus, and through time you learn to to do it automatically when you want too. I don't think you necessarily even have to always leave the environment, but look at different photographs, or videos.

Like I watch surfing videos at times, where it just relaxes my emotions and balances them.

It's more difficult for some people more than others, and of course it is a learned skill and depends on whether you do it daily every day and make a habit of it, or just do it here and there.

Silence is something I do every day and sit and be quiet in an environment. I used to hate it, and didn't like being alone. And always had the television or radio on. I think this really also comes down to like being alone, and knowing the difference between being alone versus loneliness.

If you believe being in silence is a negative thing, and fear being in silence, then it makes it difficult. I think I made peace with being by myself, and understanding you don't need other people around, or noise.

And usually what people are running away from is their negative thoughts, negative emotions, and negative feelings. Usually people want to avoid thinking or feeling and numb themselves. Also they are running away from themselves.

I think silence is being at peace with yourself and the world. Although, being and introvert I can focus and concentrate so much even on my projects, I can miss what's going on in my environment, by shutting off the noise.

I learned this from being in college and having to study. I think it is another skill, if you're around a lot of people and have to do a project, you train yourself to tune out the world.

I've been studying a lot lately to on the different brain research on Introverts and Extroverts. Really studies are showing the introvert's brain is quite different than the Extroverts. Dopamine is more a reward for Extroverts and they need more of it. Introverts get overwhelmed, over stimulated with to much dopamine. So I imagine, the comment above about Dopamine is from the injury, I'm not sure what they were saying.

Dopamine is what hooks people and gets them addicted from what I am understanding. So ha ha...this is why I stopped self-guided meditations. I understand they are basically tapping into the brain chemicals, and while it helps to meditate, I don't need my brain chemicals messed with. And so I started walking more and listening to normal music. Although still with certain frison music you're getting the same effect, or trance music.

I just stopped to do an experiment, and found I was less tired and more energetic.

It's all quite interesting. I guess it just depends on what you like best. I can visualize and meditate in the silence and feel better. Something new to try anyway.

http://colliersmagazine.com/article/addictive-brain-all-roads-lead-dopamine

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Like I watch surfing videos at times, where it just relaxes my emotions and balances them.

It's more difficult for some people more than others, and of course it is a learned skill and depends on whether you do it daily every day and make a habit of it, or just do it here and there.

Silence is something I do every day and sit and be quiet in an environment. I used to hate it, and didn't like being alone. And always had the television or radio on. I think this really also comes down to like being alone, and knowing the difference between being alone versus loneliness.

That was all very well said! I think the point made here is so much on how you train your brain and how your mind is set to ease. Stressful event makes visualizing very difficult for most people. For you, you can probably look at a wave curling and just slip away and just think about anything where as someone else may be hyped about how big the wave was and someone else may be just terrified of water, period.
I tend to slip away when I listen to soothing music, like yoga type music or just rain/river audio clips.
But ultimately as you were saying, it's all about practice. My first time visualizing I was all over the place. By the end of my 2 year endever of concussions and visualisation I had gone through every senerio I had encountered in school in my mind and learned the best way to handle each situation. Took lots of practice to do that, for myself, but I also had been doing it ever day in class and every night before bed for two years straight.
Makes me want to try practice again!

I've been studying a lot lately to on the different brain research on Introverts and Extroverts. Really studies are showing the introvert's brain is quite different than the Extroverts. Dopamine is more a reward for Extroverts and they need more of it. Introverts get overwhelmed, over stimulated with to much dopamine. So I imagine, the comment above about Dopamine is from the injury, I'm not sure what they were saying.

Dopamine is what hooks people and gets them addicted from what I am understanding. So ha ha...this is why I stopped self-guided meditations. I understand they are basically tapping into the brain chemicals, and while it helps to meditate, I don't need my brain chemicals messed with. And so I started walking more and listening to normal music. Although still with certain frison music you're getting the same effect, or trance music.

I just stopped to do an experiment, and found I was less tired and more energetic.

It's all quite interesting. I guess it just depends on what you like best. I can visualize and meditate in the silence and feel better. Something new to try anyway.

http://colliersmagazine.com/article/addictive-brain-all-roads-lead-dopamine

I'm not neuroscientist, although this semester I am taking neuroscience xD I believe the basic use of Dopamine is to transmit signals, both sensory and motor, through your nerves going to and from your brain. The dopamine lies in between nerves and in the synapse to help transfer the message between neurons. Don't quote me, but it is something along those lines. However, dopamine has many other functions and different levels of the chemical will effect people differently.

I have read an article somewhere on ADHD and how they have treated the "diseases" all wrong. A person with ADHD may be treated differently based on how a person reacts to each of the 3 major chemicals, one of them being Dopamine. To make this short, you could give one kid with ADHD more Dopamine/serotonin and it will fix them. Give another kid with ADHD the exact same medication and that kid will go off the wall. The point that I'm trying to point out and that you were touching on is that each person works better with certain levels of different chemicals in there brain. For you, triggering an activity that will increase dopamine levels may be detrimental to your thinking process.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.