The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Eccommerce: Sitting on Gold

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
shutterstock_187255169-1200x800.jpg

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, I decided to start a new ecommerce website, and I found a really good niche for it.

I see great opportunity for crazy profit.

I only have one major problem.

How can I get my product to my customers faster than the 16-30 day shipping? Should I drop ship from amazon? They can ship a lot faster. Is that even possible?

Because 16-30 days wont cut it. & I do not have space for inventory, hence the reason I am drop-shipping.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

Alright Gentlemen, I decided to start a new ecommerce website, and I found a really good niche for it.

How can I get my product to my customers faster than the 16-30 day shipping? Should I drop ship from amazon? They can ship a lot faster. Is that even possible?

Because 16-30 days wont cut it. & I do not have space for inventory, hence the reason I am drop-shipping.
Not enough space? Think about fulfilment by Amazon (FBA) or independent fulfilment services.

If you can make crazy profits by dropshipping, just imagine the vastly higher profits you can make by buying direct from the manufacturers overseas. AND...... You can forget about 16-30 days shipping, as well as the other problems and risks involved in dropshipping from China. (Just my guess that's what you're thinking of.)

Walter Hay
P.S. There are a lot of ladies as well as gentlemen on the forum.

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
You are right my friend. (edited)

YES. That where I want to get my product from. CHINA.
I have looked into Amazon FBA before... and I found some minor issues I wanted to cut out:

FBA requires some capital to start up front, but that is part of the barrier for my niche.

FBA also has fees associated with keeping your product there, reducing my profit margin.

FBA also makes it hard to keep track of stock, since you can't see it in person.

On the other hand, I still don't have to deal with returns, shipping or customer service still.
Do you have personal experience with Amazon FBA? Did it work for you? -- Or anyone else reading this thread?

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
You are right my friend. (edited)

YES. That where I want to get my product from. CHINA.
I have looked into Amazon FBA before... and I found some minor issues I wanted to cut out:

FBA requires some capital to start up front, but that is part of the barrier for my niche.

FBA also has fees associated with keeping your product there, reducing my profit margin.

FBA also makes it hard to keep track of stock, since you can't see it in person.

On the other hand, I still don't have to deal with returns, shipping or customer service still.
Do you have personal experience with Amazon FBA? Did it work for you? -- Or anyone else reading this thread?

You might want to research FBA.
Inventory management is pretty good imo.

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
Is that from personal experience or did you read about it?

@Mr.Chaos : That $3-5k startup cost tho... Same question, Have you used FBA? ^If so- any issues with it?

Yes I use it. It definitely works and you should read their docs before starting because they are very particular about everything lol!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/fba-help/QRG/FBA-Quick-Start-Guide.pdf

Download and give it a read.

And yeah you may attempt to drop ship to raise capital but it will become a logistical pain in the a**. Some customers a'rent to receptive to long ship times, we live in an instant this instant that era.

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
It's common knowledge if you're planning to make an eCommerce channel.

If it's such common knowledge, Then why is it even a debate? Are you speaking from personal experience like Mr.Chaos? Or are you blowing smoke?

I know we aren't reinventing the wheel here,-- but I prefer performance upgrades on mine.
If I drop $3-5k on something, I am going to make sure I do my homework. I'll take risks, but I am not stupid.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, I decided to start a new ecommerce website, and I found a really good niche for it.

There is always space for inventory. Any house/ apartment has some spare space. You can rent a storage unit for a little bit of nothing. If this is a "goldmine" than $50 a month rent is well worth the investment.

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
There is always space for inventory. Any house/ apartment has some spare space. You can rent a storage unit for a little bit of nothing. If this is a "goldmine" than $50 a month rent is well worth the investment.

You are forgetting one factor.
I'm military.
Military moves a lot.
That's why drop shipping is convenient.

doinkdedoink

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 14, 2016
USA
You are forgetting one factor.
I'm military.
Military moves a lot.
That's why drop shipping is convenient.

All I see is you making excuses for everyone's recommendations.

If you see great opportunity for crazy profits then just make shit happen.

I don't know the dimensions of your product, but you either live in the barracks or have your own housing so either way you should have some spare room. If you're in the barracks and don't have room then I am sure you have some guys in your platoon that have their own housing, have someone help you out.

I'm a veteran myself, military doesn't move that often to where you couldn't store some products for a bit. If there's some crazy profit potential you see then there should be no excuses.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States

Here are some random thoughts on FBA:

I use FBA to ship my website sales. For me to ship something USPS Priority Mail small flat rate box, it costs $6.80, and I have to store it at my house and pack it. When I ship out a package with FBA, it costs me $5.95, and Amazon stores it and someone at Amazon packs it. It's literally almost a buck cheaper for someone else to do it, than to do it myself. A year ago USPS cost $5.90, but even then, paying 5 cents more to have someone else do it is a no brainer.

You have to pay for shipping to mail stuff to Amazon, however they have DEEP discounted rates with UPS, so this cost is very reasonable.

Here are the Amazon storage fees: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201648210

If your product is small, and moves fast, those storage fees are minimal. If you are looking at a larger product, read up on those storage fees and make sure you know 100% what FBA is going to cost you.

For Amazon orders, FBA ships out amazingly fast for Prime orders. For ecommerce site orders, they take a little longer, but generally ship out within a day or two.

See if you can negotiate a medium size "sample" order with your supplier. You might be able to get away with ordering 20-50 units, rather than whatever their huge MOQ is. This would save on your upfront cost on inventory and allow you test the product's demand with a less initial investment. I'm guessing that a large MOQ is why you were saying there was a 3-5k startup cost.

Also, it sounds like you're the type of guy to shop around. Google fulfillment companies and see if anything sounds better. I haven't done the research... FBA just works for me, as I'm already selling on Amazon.

You can also sync Shopify with Amazon so that it fulfills orders automatically. What I do, is route all website orders through Shipstation, and then fulfill through there, all automated.

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
941%
Jun 7, 2008
I have read Bio's AMA thread before. -- also hasn't replied to any posts since 6* July.

How is this even relevant? I'm wishing you well man, but you can't get everything spoon fed to you. Bio has a life, and I can guarantee you he is out enjoying the hell out of it. He doesn't need to post here on the forum ever again if he didn't feel like it and still plenty of successes could be minted from his old posts if people would just search and read.

I started my $X,XXX,XXX ecom store using one eBook and Biophase's posts before the "AMA about ecom 2015+ Biophase" thread even EXISTED. It will take effort, time, and risk. If you want a "sure-thing" in success, go punch a time clock -- because there is no such thing. You are going to have to leave your comfort zone.

PS. I am not trying to hate on you; just try adjusting your approach and you will have success.
PPS. Find U.S. based suppliers (or Chinese suppliers with U.S. warehouse/operating hub).

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
How is this even relevant? I'm wishing you well man, but you can't get everything spoon fed to you. Bio has a life, and I can guarantee you he is out enjoying the hell out of it. He doesn't need to post here on the forum ever again if he didn't feel like it and still plenty of successes could be minted from his old posts if people would just search and read.

I was only responding to omega posting the link to that page.

I started my $X,XXX,XXX ecom store using one eBook and Biophase's posts before the "AMA about ecom 2015+ Biophase" thread even EXISTED. It will take effort, time, and risk. If you want a "sure-thing" in success, go punch a time clock -- because there is no such thing. You are going to have to leave your comfort zone.

PS. I am not trying to hate on you; just try adjusting your approach and you will have success.
PPS. Find U.S. based suppliers (or Chinese suppliers with U.S. warehouse/operating hub).

Thanks a lot. This is what the forum should be composed of. Some support, respect and useful information.

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
All I see is you making excuses for everyone's recommendations.

If you see great opportunity for crazy profits then just make shit happen.

I don't know the dimensions of your product, but you either live in the barracks or have your own housing so either way you should have some spare room. If you're in the barracks and don't have room then I am sure you have some guys in your platoon that have their own housing, have someone help you out.

I'm a veteran myself, military doesn't move that often to where you couldn't store some products for a bit. If there's some crazy profit potential you see then there should be no excuses.

I move in three months. Thanks tho.

Its NOT an excuse.

Thank you though everyone who has posted helpful advice/criticism.

Last edited:

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City

Its NOT an excuse. Glad you are calling me out? -- I guess you are to pessimistic to see it that way. I am stating facts. Don't you worry tho, I know how to make shit happen. I get $300,000,000 dollar F22s across seas to bomb shit. This little web business isn't the slightest intimidating. working 80+ hours diagnosing and fixing 5th gen aircraft CAN BE intimidating. --PS have you even touched that much money in your life?-- Because I am personally accountable and responsible for the aircraft. IN FACT. They put our names on the side of the jet, After we earn the spot. [HASHTAG]#lifegoals[/HASHTAG]

Holy shit, grow up.

What are you actually trying to accomplish here? You are sitting on this alleged goldmine, but refuse to do anything? People are telling you what to do, and you disregard?

Why would you ask advice and then not follow it?

Don't you worry tho, I know how to make shit happen.
No you don't.

G

Guest34764

Its NOT an excuse. Glad you are calling me out? -- I guess you are to pessimistic to see it that way. I am stating facts. Don't you worry tho, I know how to make shit happen. I get $300,000,000 dollar F22s across seas to bomb shit. This little web business isn't the slightest intimidating. working 80+ hours diagnosing and fixing 5th gen aircraft CAN BE intimidating. --PS have you even touched that much money in your life?-- Because I am personally accountable and responsible for the aircraft. IN FACT. They put our names on the side of the jet, After we earn the spot. I wake up and piss more excellence than you. #lifegoals

Alright just because you're in the military does not mean you get a free pass to be an a**hole.

I had my suspicions about you but I never said anything.

Congratulations on ruining your forum reputation, no one will ever think about helping you out again after you pulled this stupid shit.

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
Alright just because you're in the military does not mean you get a free pass to be an a**hole.

I had my suspicions about you but I never said anything.

Congratulations on ruining your forum reputation, no one will ever think about helping you out again after you pulled this stupid shit.

You're 16.

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
Holy shit, grow up.

What are you actually trying to accomplish here? You are sitting on this alleged goldmine, but refuse to do anything? People are telling you what to do, and you disregard?

Why would you ask advice and then not follow it?

Please show me where I disregarded the advice. PLEASE quote me on it. Because all I did was make sure people speak from experience. I don't buy BS.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Please show me where I disregarded the advice. PLEASE quote me on it. Because all I did was make sure people speak from experience. I don't buy BS.
Right here.
I have read Bio's AMA thread before. -- also hasn't replied to any posts since 6* July.
On the first page of that thread is everything you need to know. If you want to sell and not store, use FBA. That's your answer.

There are a lot of military members in the world, you are not special. Don't toss it around like you should be placed on a pedestal, especially being in the Air Force.

You really need to work on your interpersonal communication skills.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Every opinion/ option that anyone put out there for you you made excuses why it wouldn't work or why you couldn't do it that way. If you didn't want people's opinions on the best way to do it why ask?

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
Here are some random thoughts on FBA:

I use FBA to ship my website sales. For me to ship something USPS Priority Mail small flat rate box, it costs $6.80, and I have to store it at my house and pack it. When I ship out a package with FBA, it costs me $5.95, and Amazon stores it and someone at Amazon packs it. It's literally almost a buck cheaper for someone else to do it, than to do it myself. A year ago USPS cost $5.90, but even then, paying 5 cents more to have someone else do it is a no brainer.

You have to pay for shipping to mail stuff to Amazon, however they have DEEP discounted rates with UPS, so this cost is very reasonable.

Here are the Amazon storage fees: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201648210

If your product is small, and moves fast, those storage fees are minimal. If you are looking at a larger product, read up on those storage fees and make sure you know 100% what FBA is going to cost you.

For Amazon orders, FBA ships out amazingly fast for Prime orders. For ecommerce site orders, they take a little longer, but generally ship out within a day or two.

See if you can negotiate a medium size "sample" order with your supplier. You might be able to get away with ordering 20-50 units, rather than whatever their huge MOQ is. This would save on your upfront cost on inventory and allow you test the product's demand with a less initial investment. I'm guessing that a large MOQ is why you were saying there was a 3-5k startup cost.

Also, it sounds like you're the type of guy to shop around. Google fulfillment companies and see if anything sounds better. I haven't done the research... FBA just works for me, as I'm already selling on Amazon.

You can also sync Shopify with Amazon so that it fulfills orders automatically. What I do, is route all website orders through Shipstation, and then fulfill through there, all automated.

-Yes Sir. Thank you very much. My product is fairly small. Depends on what size you order.

I have already made the first move to go with Amazon FBA. I am grateful for your helpful advice.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

I read this whole thread and I still don't have a clear understanding of what you are asking.

I don't think you use the term dropshipping correctly. I think you are talking about fulfillment, not dropshipping.

Are you talking selling on your own website or on Amazon?

doinkdedoink

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 14, 2016
USA

Its NOT an excuse. Glad you are calling me out? -- I guess you are to pessimistic to see it that way. I am stating facts. Don't you worry tho, I know how to make shit happen. I get $300,000,000 dollar F22s across seas to bomb shit. This little web business isn't the slightest intimidating. working 80+ hours diagnosing and fixing 5th gen aircraft CAN BE intimidating. --PS have you even touched that much money in your life?-- Because I am personally accountable and responsible for the aircraft. IN FACT. They put our names on the side of the jet, After we earn the spot. I wake up and piss more excellence than you. [HASHTAG]#lifegoals[/HASHTAG]

I actually laughed out loud pretty intensely reading this, thank you. I won't even respond to your whole chair force comment. Best of luck to you, seems like you got it all figured out, why even ask.

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
I read this whole thread and I still don't have a clear understanding of what you are asking.

I don't think you use the term dropshipping correctly. I think you are talking about fulfillment, not dropshipping.

Are you talking selling on your own website or on Amazon?

Selling on my own website Sir.

I found a manufacturer in China who I would like to buy and sell product from. They take 16-30 days to ship... that's too long for my customers you know?

I think Amazon FBA is a good idea. Unless there is an alternative that is less to start up.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Selling on my own website Sir.

I found a manufacturer in China who I would like to buy and sell product from. They take 16-30 days to ship... that's too long for my customers you know?

I think Amazon FBA is a good idea. Unless there is an alternative that is less to start up.
Are you talking about dropshopping from aliexpress?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.