The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Easy Mistakes Made on Amazon by eBay Sellers

Bananas

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 1, 2014
Texas
I've got a long history selling on eBay but only picked up Amazon seriously a little more than a year ago. Obviously while I'm a newbie on Amazon, I'm definitely not one to the overall process. Here are a couple of ways I hurt my account in 2015:

Mistake #1:

I had a buyer send me a message asking a question about one of my products. I did what I always do in this situation (on eBay):
  • Read & understand the question the buyer is asking.
  • Go check my product page to make sure the information is posted there. If it's not, I'll fix that. Buyer questions are very rarely incredibly useful when they point out some way that the product page is lacking.
  • Professionally reply to the buyer, answering their question.
All good right? Nope. Because after I replied to the buyer, the buyer wrote back again and said:

"Thank you!"

I didn't reply. What should I say? Thank you for thanking me? Well a day later, I got a bad mark on my account because I had a buyer message that was more than 24 hours old, and Amazon is fussy if you don't respond to your messages fast enough. I'm quite confused until I realize it's the "Thank you!" message messing me up. I go to the message and realize there is a little check box at the bottom that says something like Mark this as No Response Needed. I marked it and all was good.

Lesson learned: On Amazon, you either send a response or mark as no response needed. Otherwise your metrics drop.

Mistake #2:

I get my first repeat buyer. Great. She buys from me four or five times. She leaves seller feedback. She even left product reviews. Then I get a message from her. She bought five lots of items at 12 per lot and should have gotten 60 items. She claims she got 58. Okay, whatever, I'm not going to argue.

I write her back and apologize and tell her I will ship her 2 items immediately. Her message had made it clear that she wants the 2 items. This I do using Amazon's shipping.

Color me confused when the next day, I see my metrics have dropped on shipping time. What? I've never shipped anything late. Except it looks like I did. Because I used Amazon to purchase and print a new label for her. Even though it was the second shipment on that order, the way the Amazon system works, it counts it as the shipment was late.

Lesson learned: When shipping replacement items, for whatever reason, don't buy the shipping through Amazon. Buy it some other way, and send a message to the buyer with their tracking number. (At least, this is what I've been doing, there might be some other, better way to handle it but doing it this way doesn't hurt your metrics.)

In my experiences on eBay, not responding to a message doesn't count against you. Shipping a second time on an older order doesn't count against you.

I think these are easy pitfalls for someone just starting on Amazon to make - hopefully you read this and don't make the same mistakes I did. When you're just starting out, especially at low volume, one little mistake can really harm your metrics.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Just FYI - this is one of the benefits of using FBA. If you shipped with FBA and there was a mistake like this, amazon does not hold you accountable.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I've got a long history selling on eBay but only picked up Amazon seriously a little more than a year ago. Obviously while I'm a newbie on Amazon, I'm definitely not one to the overall process. Here are a couple of ways I hurt my account in 2015:

Mistake #1:

I had a buyer send me a message asking a question about one of my products. I did what I always do in this situation (on eBay):
  • Read & understand the question the buyer is asking.
  • Go check my product page to make sure the information is posted there. If it's not, I'll fix that. Buyer questions are very rarely incredibly useful when they point out some way that the product page is lacking.
  • Professionally reply to the buyer, answering their question.
All good right? Nope. Because after I replied to the buyer, the buyer wrote back again and said:

"Thank you!"

I didn't reply. What should I say? Thank you for thanking me? Well a day later, I got a bad mark on my account because I had a buyer message that was more than 24 hours old, and Amazon is fussy if you don't respond to your messages fast enough. I'm quite confused until I realize it's the "Thank you!" message messing me up. I go to the message and realize there is a little check box at the bottom that says something like Mark this as No Response Needed. I marked it and all was good.

Lesson learned: On Amazon, you either send a response or mark as no response needed. Otherwise your metrics drop.

Mistake #2:

I get my first repeat buyer. Great. She buys from me four or five times. She leaves seller feedback. She even left product reviews. Then I get a message from her. She bought five lots of items at 12 per lot and should have gotten 60 items. She claims she got 58. Okay, whatever, I'm not going to argue.

I write her back and apologize and tell her I will ship her 2 items immediately. Her message had made it clear that she wants the 2 items. This I do using Amazon's shipping.

Color me confused when the next day, I see my metrics have dropped on shipping time. What? I've never shipped anything late. Except it looks like I did. Because I used Amazon to purchase and print a new label for her. Even though it was the second shipment on that order, the way the Amazon system works, it counts it as the shipment was late.

Lesson learned: When shipping replacement items, for whatever reason, don't buy the shipping through Amazon. Buy it some other way, and send a message to the buyer with their tracking number. (At least, this is what I've been doing, there might be some other, better way to handle it but doing it this way doesn't hurt your metrics.)

In my experiences on eBay, not responding to a message doesn't count against you. Shipping a second time on an older order doesn't count against you.

I think these are easy pitfalls for someone just starting on Amazon to make - hopefully you read this and don't make the same mistakes I did. When you're just starting out, especially at low volume, one little mistake can really harm your metrics.

Great post. Any time you can add to the other members knowledge base, helping them to not repeat mistakes you made... you add value. Speed+

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
As someone who has sold a ton of stuff on eBay, and not yet tried out Amazon, your post helped me out a lot! If I were in the same situation as you, I would have made EXACTLY the same moves as you.

Please continue to add to this thread if you find more quirks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Ironic enough, just yesterday I had a customer say "thank you". Fortunately I just checked the "does not require response" box, I honestly didn't put much thought into it, but luckily I did it anyways.

Good to know information though!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Good stuff @Bananas

Be careful about using that "no response needed" too often. I got a warning from AZ about it several months ago.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.