The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Early Wake up Group

Anything related to matters of the mind

andyandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 10, 2014
Hi All,

I have been trying to wake up early..well from several years but could not be consistent.
I got limited success using Kaizen technique..start little early and then improve on it.
We all understand the benefits of waking up early so we will not dig into that.
I am considering to create a group so that we held each other accountable. Some rules and exceptions can be defined during let's say international travel or late night office work ( I am in IT so I have to some times)..
Some ideas include :
1) Do the entry at committed time on a thread here
2) May be start a 5 minute skype or hangout at committed time
3) Initially to motivate rewards could be there to yourself- Watch 20 min netflix
4) Set a target of one year for 90% success(or defined number) which accounts travel, office work etc.

I am targeting to start at 6 AM EST. Anyone interested?
Ideas , suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andyandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 10, 2014
Yes, plan is to further improve after 30 days, from 6 AM to 5:30 AM and so on...
anybody in?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Hi All,

I have been trying to wake up early..well from several years but could not be consistent.
I got limited success using Kaizen technique..start little early and then improve on it.
I am considering to create a group so that we held each other accountable. Some rules and exceptions can be defined during let's say international travel or late night office work ( I am in IT so I have to some times)..
Some ideas include :
3) Initially to motivate rewards could be there to yourself- Watch 20 min netflix
4) Set a target of one year for 90% success(or defined number) which accounts travel, office work etc.

Thanks!!

Not 1)

Not a good use of the forum.

Have you read Miracle Morning?

If you really wanted to do it, you would just do it.

MC Hammer

Too cold to get old
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Dec 19, 2015
Get some caffeine pills. Break the 200mg ones in half. Set your alarm for the time you want to wake up and just wake up. Take your 100mg caffeine immediately. It won't be that bad. Don't take any caffeine after noon. Eventually your body will adjust and you'll be tired enough to sleep early and therefore start waking up early. I'll be awake around 5-530am. Good night, and good luck!

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Hi All,

Some ideas include :

Thanks!!
You don't need all this, just get an app that forces you to walk around before you can turn it off or take a matching photo of an object that's far from your bed. I use Step Out and wake up at 3:30am

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Yea... waking up early isn't all that hard unless you're depressed.

What's harder is getting enough sleep when you're waking up early.

So what ends up happening is you either:

1) go to sleep on time like a good boy (if you're waking up at 6, then that's going to bed before 10:30; 5, you're going before 9:30), or
2) you end up accumulating fatigue and then sleeping for 20 hours on the weekend

Take @Vigilante's advice and pick up "The Miracle Morning". The key isn't the time you wake up (although that can get you extra hours in the day), the key is the morning routine outlined in the book. I hate woo-woo new agey bullshit (sorry @AndrewNC) but I'm convinced that the routine he's given, plus some changes to fit your goals, is magic.

On the days where I follow the routine, shit gets done. More shit than I plan to. I've had it work on days where I woke up at 10am. Waking up early is no panacea but this routine might very well be.

andyandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 10, 2014
You don't need all this, just get an app that forces you to walk around before you can turn it off or take a matching photo of an object that's far from your bed. I use Step Out and wake up at 3:30am
Great Suggestion, Thanks!

andyandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 10, 2014
Yea... waking up early isn't all that hard unless you're depressed.

What's harder is getting enough sleep when you're waking up early.

So what ends up happening is you either:

1) go to sleep on time like a good boy (if you're waking up at 6, then that's going to bed before 10:30; 5, you're going before 9:30), or
2) you end up accumulating fatigue and then sleeping for 20 hours on the weekend

Take @Vigilante's advice and pick up "The Miracle Morning". The key isn't the time you wake up (although that can get you extra hours in the day), the key is the morning routine outlined in the book. I hate woo-woo new agey bullshit (sorry @AndrewNC) but I'm convinced that the routine he's given, plus some changes to fit your goals, is magic.

On the days where I follow the routine, shit gets done. More shit than I plan to. I've had it work on days where I woke up at 10am. Waking up early is no panacea but this routine might very well be.
Thanks, I will check out the book!!

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
I had this problem for a while.

Just set 15 alarms..one every 5 mins ...you will get so annoyed you'll wake up ...

im down to 4 now ..lol

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Miracle Morning did it for me. One of the most motivational books I've ever read.

Now, I don't follow his routine exactly, but it absolutely provided the motivation and mindset required to make it work for me. All I do:

1. Set the coffee maker to have my coffee made when my alarm goes off in the morning.
2. Go to bed planning to get 7-8 hours of sleep.
3. Choose a soft/gentle/easy alarm tone (this ended up being huge for me - harsh alarms don't work well for me).
4. Put my phone across the room, if it's next to me I WILL shut it off.
5. Have my housecoat and slippers nearby.
6. Have my morning 'supplies' handy so I don't have to hunt for them (book I'm reading and a notebook, basically).

My morning has excellent flow this way: I wake up, walk to turn off the alarm, put on my housecoat and slippers, and walk downstairs to where I know coffee is already waiting for me, sit in a comfy chair and read/plan. No hunting for items, no prepping coffee, no frustrations. It comes very, very easy to me now that I've been doing it a while.

The biggest, biggest key to the whole damn thing (for me) at this point is going to bed on time and getting good sleep. If I drop down to 5 hours of sleep or less - I will not get up. If I went out for drinks, I will not get up. If I had a huge meal and go to bed still digesting food, I will not get up. So the evening routine is just as important as the morning one. Everything else can fall apart (forget to set the coffee maker, can't find my slippers, phone next to bed, etc...) and I'm usually pretty good at still getting up despite the extra effort but if I'm not getting that restful sleep the rest doesn't matter.

Thanks to this routine, I've read more books this year already than the last 2 years combined. Creating an extra hour or two in your day is absolutely amazing.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
1. Set the coffee maker to have my coffee made when my alarm goes off in the morning.

Thanks for this. I've been manually making coffee every morning for so long, that I actually forgot my coffee maker could do this!

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Get some caffeine pills. Break the 200mg ones in half. Set your alarm for the time you want to wake up and just wake up. Take your 100mg caffeine immediately. It won't be that bad. Don't take any caffeine after noon. Eventually your body will adjust and you'll be tired enough to sleep early and therefore start waking up early. I'll be awake around 5-530am. Good night, and good luck!

This. Also, I personally get really tired after overeating carbs. So when I want to regulate my sleep cycle, I eat a pizza, smoothie, etc., and force myself into a food coma. Go to sleep around 9pm. Then wake up early the next day, take caffeine, and do cardio to burn off a portion of those carbs.

This system has made it a lot easier for me to get back on track.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I hate woo-woo new agey bullshit (sorry @AndrewNC) but I'm convinced that the routine he's given, plus some changes to fit your goals, is magic.

Lol...you don't need to believe the woo woo new agey stuff....Maybe it's just something to distract your conscious mind while I slip in the suggestions to your unconscious to install confidence, control of your life, and remove self doubt - working at the unconscious level ;)

It's not the delivery mechanism that matters...It's the results you get that matters.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Thanks for this. I've been manually making coffee every morning for so long, that I actually forgot my coffee maker could do this!
Haha. My coffee maker is the girls at 7/11 just up the road. Wake up, check email, go for a walk and grab a ice coffee from 7/11 on the way home.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
This prob. won't help others, but this is what helped me.

In the morning, your brain is dehydrated. Think about it... you have been asleep for hours and probably didn't eat or drink before bed. Most of you that do eat or drink before bed, probably don't drink enough water during the day anyways.

So what I did to combat this was to start drinking .75L of water right before bed. About 15 min before bed at 11pm or midnight.

Most nights, what happens is I feel the urge to use the restroom around 2:30am. I get up and drink another .75L of water after the restroom.

By 5am or so, I get the urge again and wake up. Also, around this time my dog also needs to go out. She doesn't let me sleep in because she whines and whimpers until I get up and take her out. I also have a cell phone alarm for 5am too.

By doing this, I pretty much have a layered approach to getting up somewhere in the 5am-6am range every morning and my brain is well hydrated for the work that needs to be done as soon as I get up. When I get up I make coffee to ensure I stay up.

Only loss is I have interrupted sleep at the 2:30am time. This is a non-issue for me since I had sleep interruption before this routine with sounds, kids, dog barking, and just restless sleep to begin with.

If you are wanting to wake up early, you don't have to copy what I did... just make sure you have a layered approach.

outnash

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 8, 2018
Hi All,

Some ideas include :

Thanks!!

Hi Andy,
I know its been long time you created this thread. But any luck waking up early.
Thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.