The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Drove Uber for a bit... And did THIS! INSANELY SHOCKING STORY

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
3+ months of emails every few days, sometimes several a day. What was I thinking? I wasn't!

Not to be a dick, but you sound like a stage-five clinger who could have been charged with breaking stalking laws.

How old are you? The story isn't "insanely shocking", but insanely sad.

• Banned

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
Not to be a dick, but you sound like a stage-five clinger who could have been charged with breaking stalking laws.

How old are you? The story isn't "insanely shocking", but insanely sad.
Thank you for telling me that MJ, this past year I've been in a deluded state of mind. I'm 25 and I haven't been socializing much recently.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
You cannot build a fastlane business based off emails you send out promoting a product/service. Emails worked 20 years ago. Today less than 1% of people will read your emails and convert. Sure emails are helpful but they should be near the bottom in the list of priorities. If you want to be a loser the rest of your life then keep putting all of your effort on those emails.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
At the very least, get out of your shell and start meeting some people face to face. Check out meetup for groups related to interests you have. You're obviously a smart guy, and have much to offer the world. Don't let it all sit up in your mind.

And, what you have done is borderline cyber stalking. Do not do it again. Just because you didn't get an email to buzz off doesn't mean you should have continued.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Yes I realize that now, thank you all for the feedback, looking back to this experience I am not sure what the hell I was thinking..

Don't beat yourself up after the fact. Loneliness is a powerful emotion and can make people act in ways they otherwise wouldn't.

Just move forward and fix the problem by socializing more. It may be uncomfortable at first, but we're social animals and it's really necessary.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Yeah you should have worked on offering some value before you worked on your headlines.

Dsilvar89

Resolute Warrior
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
367%
May 1, 2017
New Zealand
You need to start meditation dude and observe how your ego mind distorts reality.

Below taken from the 48 Laws of Power:

Desire Often Creates Paradoxical Effects: The more you want something, the more you chase after it, the more it eludes you. The more interest you show, the more you repel the object of your desire. This is because your interest is too strong—it makes people awkward, even fearful. Uncontrollable desire makes you seem weak, unworthy, pathetic.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
You cannot build a fastlane business based off emails you send out promoting a product/service. Emails worked 20 years ago. Today less than 1% of people will read your emails and convert. Sure emails are helpful but they should be near the bottom in the list of priorities. If you want to be a loser the rest of your life then keep putting all of your effort on those emails.
Oh really?

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house

Tell that to Perry Marshall. He preaches literally the opposite of what you just said. He says emails are the most powerful form of online marketing today. He practices what he preaches. I know because I bought one book from him and I get 3 emails a day.

Now, I'm not one to pay attention to spam emails. They piss me off and I have no problem unsubscribing. The odd thing about some of Perry's emails is they are relevant to what is going on in my life. He knows that I bought his book... sometimes I'll get an email and it's further explanation of the chapter I just finished. I'ts borderline creepy, but it's totally relevant to what I'm doing and he knows it. As much as I'm annoyed by the onslaught of emails they do contain value. Though i didn't buy an offer directly from an email I did buy another one of his books... They are just good, what can I say?

Im not totally disagreeing with you. My personal opinion is email spam sucks and I hate it. However, Perry Marshall is very successful and has a Fastlane business that is mostly based off of an email blasting system... He might hate email spam too, but he listens to the market, and the market tells him it works...

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I totally thought this post was going a different direction. I kept waiting for the part where the guy got the girl. If it makes you feel better, if she is a successful internet celebrity, then she probably has tons of dudes sending her creepy emails. Good on you for admitting your mistakes and taking criticism with open arms. Next time you are smitten by a girl, try and do something nice for her. If she doesn't reciprocate, leave it alone and move on to the next one. There are tons of fish in the sea and a lot of them look better than they taste. Good Luck.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
I totally thought this post was going a different direction. I kept waiting for the part where the guy got the girl. If it makes you feel better, if she is a successful internet celebrity, then she probably has tons of dudes sending her creepy emails. Good on you for admitting your mistakes and taking criticism with open arms. Next time you are smitten by a girl, try and do something nice for her. If she doesn't reciprocate, leave it alone and move on to the next one. There are tons of fish in the sea and a lot of them look better than they taste. Good Luck.

I thought the post was going a different direction too.

Lesson #8: Don't use misleading headlines, or you risk leaving your customers very confused.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
Tell that to Perry Marshall. He preaches literally the opposite of what you just said. He says emails are the most powerful form of online marketing today. He practices what he preaches. I know because I bought one book from him and I get 3 emails a day.

It seems like every single company over 10m market cap doesn't have email marketing as the main source of marketing. I would argue that Perry Marshall got successful due to the website marketing the services/products as well as the book marketing services he offers.

Now, I'm not one to pay attention to spam emails. They piss me off and I have no problem unsubscribing. The odd thing about some of Perry's emails is they are relevant to what is going on in my life. He knows that I bought his book... sometimes I'll get an email and it's further explanation of the chapter I just finished. I'ts borderline creepy, but it's totally relevant to what I'm doing and he knows it. As much as I'm annoyed by the onslaught of emails they do contain value. Though i didn't buy an offer directly from an email I did buy another one of his books... They are just good, what can I say?

Anecdote. You can find anecdotes contradicting almost anything. Also things change. Gmail puts promotions in another tab where they are far less likely to be read. That wasn't the case a few years back.

Im not totally disagreeing with you. My personal opinion is email spam sucks and I hate it. However, Perry Marshall is very successful and has a Fastlane business that is mostly based off of an email blasting system... He might hate email spam too, but he listens to the market, and the market tells him it works...

I don't believe Perry Marshall is successful due to email blasting. He's done youtube videos, ppc, website, books, word of mouth, seminars, interviews, reviews, etc... Emails are only a small part of it and should only be a small percent of conversions compared to other forms of marketing because it's not as effective.

Last edited:

Nily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 27, 2016
Sydney
You're orbiting way too hard.

Please stop.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
"Models" - Mark Manson
"No More Mr. Nice Guy" - Robert Glover
"The Game" - Neil Strauss (Shits and giggles)

You MUST read at least the first 2. If you apply those books, they will change your life.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Fkin LOL the cringe in this is real

not sure if its the post or the story

definitely need to read no more mr nice guy

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
"Models" - Mark Manson
"No More Mr. Nice Guy" - Robert Glover
"The Game" - Neil Strauss (Shits and giggles)

IMHO half of the concepts in those books are BS and the other half is good advice. Tons of BS generalizations just like what feminist books/blogs have. Most guys that have trouble finding women are because they are trying to find 9+ women when they are below a 4. It's easy to find someone that's a 4 when you're a 4. So a better idea would be to broaden your search to women that are 4-10 and not just 9-10. Supply and demand applies to dating just as it applies to business. A phone number instead of email or breaking the ice/socializing in a better way converts better but it has nothing to do with being a "nice guy" it's just smarter that's all.

Last edited:

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
That... that was just full of second-hand embarrassment.

Having a crush for a girl and acting kinda dumb because of it, yeah I can get that. At least if you are like 15 or 16. Maybe it's a lack of experience, a lack of self worth, who knows. You'll do yourself a favor if you start to look inside you first, before you look for a partner.

I could go on and on about how much I cringed reading this, but tbh that wouldn't help you in any way.
So let me just give you some advice. I was in a similar position in my teens. Maybe not to this extent of really chasing a woman. But at least in the way of not getting girls out of my mind, who clearly showed not a bit of interest.

The thing I was lacking, and if you look inside yourself you may find the same thing missing, was confidence in myself and who I was.

The thing that really got me out of this state of mind, was to put myself first. Not in a selfish way, but more like loving myself first, before even thinking of anybody else may being into me.

How can someone love you if you don't love yourself first.
How can someone believe in you, if you don't believe in yourself first.
How can someone respect you, if you don't respect yourself first.

That type of thinking.

What is it that you perceive as your reasons to not love or respect yourself?
For me, it was that I felt too overweight since I can think. That was my biggest insecurity. I know it's dumb, but it was always holding me back.
So, what did I do? Starting to eat healthy and exercising.
What's holding you back? Can you do something about it?

No word or action from someone else could've caused the effects, that doing something for me, has.

So my advice would be to take care of yourself first. Make yourself the best possible version you'd like to be. Not for approvel, not to get love or affection, not for others. Only. for. you.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I would write an email - she would post something on social media that hinted at me. I would write another email - she would post something else that hinted at me.

It was at this point I was really hoping that this would have a happy ending.

Good on you for posting this though; I have made many embarrassing mistakes and there's no way I would post them. Whatever anyone says, we're all human, and you just let loneliness get the better of you. I know how that feels...

Hope this leads to something positive bro.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.