The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dressing For Success... Stop looking like a fool.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

tunderenner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 30, 2020
It has come to my attention that few people give this enough thought.

A common theme of my posts is thinking big and leadership. Both of these REQUIRE interaction with other people. Sure you can build some onepreneur super outsourced company and make good money... But the VAST majority of the extremely wealthy got that way by making strategic deals, establishing influence and leading others.

Which brings me to LOOKING THE PART. It's popular, and often considered a badge of honor, in entrepreneurial circles to not own a suit, to almost intentionally dress like shit and not give a f*ck. To that, I ask, why? To what end?

I have learned how to dress properly when interacting with influential politicians and high-level C suite executives of very large companies. I have learned how to dress properly when I have to approach the lower offices with hourly workers. From formal meetings to business lunches, I have done it all. To say looking professional in every single interaction pertaining to your business is important would be an understatement.

Now, I'm no expert, but I am observant and have years of experience meeting people in person. There is no excuse not to look your best and present like someone who can back up the talk. It also doesn't have to be expensive.

Ask me anything.
I agree with you completely! There’s a saying that goes, ‘your appearance will get you through the door, your competence will keep you in the room. First impressions are made pretty fast, most times we’re not given a second chance to express what we have to offer.

tunderenner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 30, 2020
I won't even pretend for a second that I know what its like to be Mark Zuckerberg. Those of you that know me absolutely know that I am not out to appease others, however, professionalism and dressing the part is absolutely in my best interest.

Hell, it is probably in Zuckerbergs best interest too, whether he cares or not. He can afford not to, but most on this forum, like myself, can't.
Have you noticed that even Zuckerberg leaves his T-shirt, jeans and sneakers at home, and opts for a dressier look - gray suit, and a formal shirt - when he has to make appearances/honor invitations at congressional hearings?

tunderenner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 30, 2020
LOL i thought girls were mostly into this stuff since if a girl is dressed ugly no one will look at her. Now you’re all overthinking shit, if youre a man just have normal short hair, and dress as you want, exactly as you want , not how some smart a$$ on youtube will give you advice. And LOL at meeting with politicians, just another corrupt bunch that licks each other’s balls and just make money by shitting on people, and you have to impress them, really ? Anyone who is asking how to dress clearly wants to impress, but who cares about impressions
@jackwilder94...The truth is, you dress the way you want to be addressed. If you want to get a taste of of how lepers were treated in biblical times, wear a T-shirt, shorts and flip flops to a business meeting or job interview.
LOL i thought girls were mostly into this stuff since if a girl is dressed ugly no one will look at her. Now you’re all overthinking shit, if youre a man just have normal short hair, and dress as you want, exactly as you want , not how some smart a$$ on youtube will give you advice. And LOL at meeting with politicians, just another corrupt bunch that licks each other’s balls and just make money by shitting on people, and you have to impress them, really ? Anyone who is asking how to dress clearly wants to impress, but who cares about impressions

tunderenner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 30, 2020
Pocket squares are very rare for me. Black suits have also fallen out of need. Like we have discussed earlier in this thread, they end up making you look like a waiter or limo driver.

Agreed about "fancy" nothing flashy ever. You don't want to draw attention to your clothes EVER. You want clothes to basically be part of you and your leadership. To support your goals Just part of the bigger picture.
@Kak... I agree with you. Black is not really a good color for a business suit.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@Kak... I agree with you. Black is not really a good color for a business suit.

Yes, I wore a dark gray suit to a funeral a week ago, I didn't even need a black for that.

Now... I have a black tux for black tie events. Totally different deal.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tunderenner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 30, 2020
I understand the concept of this thread and agree with the importance of dressing properly for each situation, BUT where are the pictures of some of your outfits @Kak?

I’m not trying to out you, but it seems silly to take style advice on a forum where barely anyone here even knows what you look/dress like.
@CDNY... I posted some pictures of me for you to see. I try to practice what I preach.

tunderenner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 30, 2020
I heard exactly this in a conversation the other day with the person I want to have on my team for web sales. In a high-end retail environment, all the other sales reps immediately went to the people who "dressed rich" and ignored the others. She immediately went to help the customers who were not getting any help from the snobs on staff, and outsold all of them. Her only assumption was that if someone came into the store, she'd give her best attention, empathy, and product guidance she possibly could. She decided to not make any assumptions about the customer's budget, but to listen and ask if needed.

I agree with Kak that dressing like you're the person in charge, whose opinion matters, who can afford the best, will often get you the best service from service providers. And I agree with ChrisR that this means a big profit opportunity for service providers who don't run their businesses based on prejudicial assumptions.
@LATEBLOOMER..Well said. Unfortunately, perception is real.after all, Isn’t it the perceived value in a particular brand that makes us pay for it?

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015
@GPM... The solution is to invest in good leather shoes. Breathability, another name for ‘wicking’, is one of the special properties of leather. Wicking is a process where moist is expelled out of the shoe in the form of vapour. You should also invest in good cotton socks. They help absorb moisture. For the funk, get oddballs. And don’t wear the same shoe two days straight. They need at least 24 hours to air out.
And get wooden shoe trees, typically cedar with no finish on the wood. Shoes need to be on the trees as they dry in order to keep their proper shape. If they are not on your feet then they should be in the shoe trees. Two pairs of dress shoes is the minimum if you wear dress shoes every day.

Someone posted asking about the credibility of people who are giving style advice. I have been straightforward in that my 'advice' comes mostly from Dressing the Man - Flusser and New Dress For Success - Molloy.

I'm not advising anyone to dress like I do. But FWIW, if you have bought an item of new Brooks Brothers clothing on ebay in the last few years then there is about a 95% chance that you are a customer of mine.

Last edited:

tunderenner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 30, 2020
Great thread, @Kak ! Any tips for us living in a hot climate like Arizona? I don't mind the heat here, but I do feel like it limits my options to how I can dress. Not always practical to go out looking nice in a suit. I guess different textiles and materials could make a big difference.
@Eskil...I live in Nigeria, and it’s hot all year round. I wear suits sometimes, but I make sure that the jackets are deconstructed. This means that the jackets are devoid of linings or pads. They are very light and easy to wear. They work well with dress shirts, polos and T-shirts. Below is what a deconstructed jacket looks like. And like @Kak mentioned, Lenin, and cotton are excellent fabrics, because they breathe.1609403121464.png

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Which brings me to LOOKING THE PART. It's popular, and often considered a badge of honor, in entrepreneurial circles to not own a suit, to almost intentionally dress like shit and not give a f*ck. To that, I ask, why? To what end?
@Kak, but they're almost certainly the next Mark Zuckerberg!?

valérian

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Feb 11, 2021
Grind dans mon bureau

A common theme of my posts is thinking big and leadership. Both of these REQUIRE interaction with other people. Sure you can build some onepreneur super outsourced company and make good money... But the VAST majority of the extremely wealthy got that way by making strategic deals, establishing influence and leading others.

I have learned how to dress properly when interacting with influential politicians and high-level C suite executives of very large companies. I have learned how to dress properly when I have to approach the lower offices with hourly workers. From formal meetings to business lunches, I have done it all. To say looking professional in every single interaction pertaining to your business is important would be an understatement.

Now, I'm no expert, but I am observant and have years of experience meeting people in person. There is no excuse not to look your best and present like someone who can back up the talk. It also doesn't have to be expensive.

Ask me anything.
I love that! I always think about it .. I'm 16 and the only one in my school wearing a costume because it helps me with my social anxiety, and damn, I love these types of clothes! And you never know when you're going to meet an important person, even on the street or whatever.

For me, always being well dressed is important. The same if I work in front of my computer I'm wearing my costume, it motivates me.
Damn love it! I am always thinking about it.. I am 16 and the only one of my school with a suit because i it help me with my social anxity, and F*ck, i love those types of clothes ! And we never know when we are going to meet a important person, same in the street or whatever.

For me, be always good-dressed is important. Same if I work in front of my computer i am with my suit, it motivate me.
A photo of one of my suit that i took to see what it looked lolWIN_20210226_19_53_49_Pro.jpg

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
I like blues and reds, they go with everything.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Purchased the following:
1624227794566.png
To all the fathers out there, Happy Father's Day!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
In tech and IT, people with tie and suits are frown upon. It is somewhat being labeled as a loser - no offence.

The folks that is killing it there are extremely casual.
Depends on who you’re dealing with. As a developer, you won’t see us really wearing anything more than business casual or just casual. But the higher up the ladder you go towards the decision makers, executives, etc… they are typically more dressed.

The point is to not underdress for the occasion. If everyone is wearing suits, you don’t wear jeans. If everyone is wearing jeans, you typically don’t wear a three piece suit.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Ordered my first pair of Allen Edmonds, Coffee - Park Avenue Cap-Toe Oxford and Full-Toe Cedar Shoe Trees. When I went to the Allen Edmonds store to take my size, they gave me two potential sizes. Hopefully, this one is correct...
Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 9.17.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-29 at 9.18.03 PM.png

One of the dress shirts came in the other day, a bit too large. I'll see if I can get it tailored before I fly back to Korea.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ordered my first pair of Allen Edmonds, Coffee - Park Avenue Cap-Toe Oxford and Full-Toe Cedar Shoe Trees. When I went to the Allen Edmonds store to take my size, they gave me two potential sizes. Hopefully, this one is correct...
View attachment 38657View attachment 38658

One of the dress shirts came in the other day, a bit too large. I'll see if I can get it tailored before I fly back to Korea.
They are well made shoes! I have a pair just like them.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
My first pair of Allen Edmonds came in. Park Avenue. I’ve also purchased tree shoes to go along with them.

Attachments

• B1DA0B13-979B-4ADB-87CA-25A80D401ACB.jpeg
    B1DA0B13-979B-4ADB-87CA-25A80D401ACB.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 15

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022

Which brings me to LOOKING THE PART. It's popular, and often considered a badge of honor, in entrepreneurial circles to not own a suit, to almost intentionally dress like shit and not give a F*ck. To that, I ask, why? To what end?

Ask me anything.
I read this thread and I see both sides of it.

Wearing a suit, look good feel good. A well tailored suit made from real materials (not poly) is the most comfortable thing you will own. Feel your best, and you will perform at your best level.

On the other hand, wearing sweat pants and a t-shirt is motivating as well, it mentally tells you "I don't need anyone's approval, I can wear whatever because I am a boss."

The thing that is problematic is that wearing casual clothes could be a self fulfilling prophecy. What if the reason that you like wearing sweatpants is because subconsciously you view yourself as a loser, and are uncomfortable in clothes associated with success?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
It depends... It's that same old answer. Again. Who are you trying to impress or influence? Are you trying to fly under the radar or be out front and center? What effect are you trying to make?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
That's good to know. I have a nice silk jacket I bought at Nordstrom (kind of a dusty blue, subtle fine ~1/4" plaid? check? pattern) and had tailored. On advice of a friend I usually wear it with (nice good-fitting) jeans. Which seems weird to me -- spend $700 on a jacket and pair it with jeans!? But it seems to be the style. But I usually wear it for a nice date, not for a business meeting.

Sounds cool! Try some nice boots too like Tecovas Ropers or something of the like. Very "industry".

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
Vest or no vest with the suit (4 button, mid cut V, 5 button high cut V, 3 button low cut V??) I personally like wearing a vest (mid cuts) with my suit.

I currently own 2 cashmere, custom fitted suits. My wife doesn’t like me wearing the vest, I love it

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Well it was an open casket but not sure I would call it live.

It was sort of a pun. Here's the the thing you said the only time he saw you in a full suit and tie was at his funeral. How can he see you if he's dead?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
To me that look, including the hair mousse, says I'm faking it till I make it. But that's me and I'm not even sure where I picked up that assessment.
For the record, I'm not trying to fake anything. This is just the hairstyle I had at the time, but it's different now.

Let's take these comments in a different direction.

First - the suit fits great. It may not be the highest quality, but you did very important things. For example, most guys have suit coat sleeves to their thumb - you have about a half-inch of dress shirt peeking-out. Perfect.

The shirt isn't my color, but it's the right kind of shirt for the look (and there's no gold chain or anything under it!).

You definitely need a watch. Nothing fancy, but a respectable Seiko would be perfect (no big Fossil watches) or a used Omega/TAG, etc.

It's also clear you take care of your appearance. People may not get your hair style, but it IS a style you've worked to have on purpose and you're clean shaven.

Standards of dress vary widely across the US. I spend a lot of time in NY/Long Island and what you're wearing would be acceptable at any function. Less so in somewhere like DC or San Diego. All depends.

Anyway, I think you're very much headed in the right direction @Ninjakid

-PM

P.S. - Can't really tell, but never button the second suit button. Just the top will do.
I rarely dress like this tbh. I kinda just wear whatever I like.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You can pick up a pair of Allen Edmonds under $200, they've got clearance sales all the time, including right now on their website, I saw some even in the $100 range.

Rep+ I have like 8 pairs and I didn't figure this out until the 7th. I've resoled 2 pairs. They truly are a buy it once and have them forever item.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Anything magical that you do with your dress shoes if your feet sweat in them? I find dress shoes to lack in the breathability department, and when I am wearing a pair it is generally for the whole day.

Swamp foot is not cool.

I douse all my shoes in Gold Bond before putting them on.

The one downside is that my ex-gf thought I had ashy feet the first time she saw me without shoes and it's a mess if you have carpet, but I got tired of having smelly feet.

You can also take them off if appropriate (sitting at desk). One of the things I like about living in Asia is that no one looks at me strange when I take off my shoes indoors.

CDNY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 18, 2018
New York
I understand the concept of this thread and agree with the importance of dressing properly for each situation, BUT where are the pictures of some of your outfits @Kak?

I’m not trying to out you, but it seems silly to take style advice on a forum where barely anyone here even knows what you look/dress like.

CDNY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 18, 2018
New York
Dozens of the highest-profile members here know him personally. Take his advice, or don't. He won't lose a seconds worth of sleep over it.

I don’t see why it’s so far fetched to want to see how the guy giving out style advice personally dresses.... isn’t that basic common sense?

Why would anyone lose sleep over a forum comment? LOL

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Every time I put on a suit for an interview I felt like a complete tool. I call it my bullshit suit. Especially when it's not winter and I'm sweating because of it.
My everyday attire is synthetic collared golf shirts and mesh shorts. My wife makes me put on real shorts when we go out. I can't stand pants if it's above 75 degrees. I am in central TX.

But I suppose if you spend most of your time in buildings where the AC is blasting it to 70 degrees, then a suit might not be so bad.

Honestly, this whole traditional appearance stuff, 'just because' doesn't sit well with me. Just because some old men decided this was the way you should look, doesn't mean I need to look that way. I ask 'what's the goal here?' Am I here to sell men's suits? No. Then why does society say I have to wear a suit? I understand the point of "playing the game". But I tend to question everything. Who's to say it can't be changed?
I rather do business with a party that meets my needs and isn't concerned about wearing cufflinks or a tie.

It's one thing to look decent and not shabby. But formal wear really needs an overhaul, particularly in hot climates.
good job man! keep hustling hard
Thanks man will do!

Robert Paulson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 6, 2018
Texas
Jeans and a sport coat work great in Texas and probably most of The South for anything from blue collar/meetings with the working class, up to lunch meetings at all, but formal venues.

What colors for the sport coats? Do you change the color of the coat depending on the color of the pant (jeans vs. khaki canvas)? Does it need to have the shiny buttons you referenced in another post? I've never been a big fan of the shiny buttons on some sport coats.

I've been looking at getting the Tecovas for a while, just haven't gotten around to getting a new pair of "dandy" boots. Would you be willing to wear them with a suit (flat front/no cuff trousers), or only pair them with the jeans & sports coat?

...and many thanks. I've picked up quite a bit from this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.