The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dreading work

Quincosa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 26, 2017
Miami, Florida
Hey Fastlaners,

I'm writing this while in my way to work. I am a full time software developer and practicing iOS development every night while going to school full time online. Knowing the amount of opportunities there are in iOS development it bothers me to go into work every day. Whenever I'm at work I feel stagnant. Everyone would say just leave but I'm saving as much as I can so when I'm ready to venture out on my own I have my money to lean on. I know many of us struggle with this so I thought it would be cool to share my story. Everything I do now will pay off in the end all the hours after work will pay off in the long term. Many of us are on the same page of our own book but let's not stop adding chapters!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
You might discover that your Slowlane work is going to be a break compared to your Fastlane venture, when the wheels start turning and roaring....

I'm a student, and typically it's just reading stuff, doing paperwork and showing up. A guy with the IQ of Forrest Gump could do it too.

On the Fastlane, everything rushes at me. Sales prospects, reaching out to clients, fighting negativity, looking out for new ideas to cut overhead,...

Fastlane is Fastlane for a reason.

Some of the best business ideas have been found even in stagnant work places. Business ideas are problems that people want solved-commandment of Need. Keep your eyes open if you still haven't got an idea to execute.

The idea doesn't need to be that difficult. It can be very simple as long it solves people's problems. Just recently I was reading how the inventor of car reflectors got the idea when two gleaming cat's eyes saved him from a nasty accident on a very dark night....

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
Hey Fastlaners,

I'm writing this while in my way to work. I am a full time software developer and practicing iOS development every night while going to school full time online. Knowing the amount of opportunities there are in iOS development it bothers me to go into work every day. Whenever I'm at work I feel stagnant. Everyone would say just leave but I'm saving as much as I can so when I'm ready to venture out on my own I have my money to lean on. I know many of us struggle with this so I thought it would be cool to share my story. Everything I do now will pay off in the end all the hours after work will pay off in the long term. Many of us are on the same page of our own book but let's not stop adding chapters!
Burn the boat now or create a program to automate your current job now while you are at work dreading work... then quit and sell that program :)

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
As I mentioned this morning in another thread, every time things are rough in my current endeavor, I inevitably get a call with a job offer. Here's the feedback loop on that.

Friend: Hey Gman, I just got a Controller job at a new company, and I need to build out my staff.
Me: daydreaming internally about how nice it would be to be at 70k again, getting a better apartment, replacing my shitbox car
Friend: (continuing), I need a Senior staff accountant to get the department turning
Me: daydreaming about 20 years of managing an accounting department :thumbsdown:
Friend: How does it sound.
Me: I think I have to pass right now. If I go broke in the next couple months, I'll call you.

I'll never call that guy. I'll never go back to dreading soul-crushing work every day.

If you truly hated your job, you'd be doing things to make a way out of it. If you're not, you don't hate it enough yet. Don't worry, you'll get there. :clench:

Quincosa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 26, 2017
Miami, Florida
You might discover that your Slowlane work is going to be a break compared to your Fastlane venture, when the wheels start turning and roaring....

I'm a student, and typically it's just reading stuff, doing paperwork and showing up. A guy with the IQ of Forrest Gump could do it too.

On the Fastlane, everything rushes at me. Sales prospects, reaching out to clients, fighting negativity, looking out for new ideas to cut overhead,...

Fastlane is Fastlane for a reason.

Some of the best business ideas have been found even in stagnant work places. Business ideas are problems that people want solved-commandment of Need. Keep your eyes open if you still haven't got an idea to execute.

The idea doesn't need to be that difficult. It can be very simple as long it solves people's problems. Just recently I was reading how the inventor of car reflectors got the idea when two gleaming cat's eyes saved him from a nasty accident on a very dark night....
Yeah i definitely agree... we just gotta keep looking forward! Thanks for the input

Quincosa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 26, 2017
Miami, Florida
As I mentioned this morning in another thread, every time things are rough in my current endeavor, I inevitably get a call with a job offer. Here's the feedback loop on that.

Friend: Hey Gman, I just got a Controller job at a new company, and I need to build out my staff.
Me: daydreaming internally about how nice it would be to be at 70k again, getting a better apartment, replacing my shitbox car
Friend: (continuing), I need a Senior staff accountant to get the department turning
Me: daydreaming about 20 years of managing an accounting department :thumbsdown:
Friend: How does it sound.
Me: I think I have to pass right now. If I go broke in the next couple months, I'll call you.

I'll never call that guy. I'll never go back to dreading soul-crushing work every day.

If you truly hated your job, you'd be doing things to make a way out of it. If you're not, you don't hate it enough yet. Don't worry, you'll get there. :clench:
Im on my way man! Working HARD!!!

Quincosa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 26, 2017
Miami, Florida
So you actually enjoy the field you work in just hate working for a company am I correct or wrong?
100% correct I like working for myself. Also working for a company caps your salary. If you work for yourself you and the market determine how much you make. Developing iOS I can make 70k in a 3 month project.... as a software developer for a company you make 70k a year and that's it if you get luck 2k raise the next year..

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
Exactly why I asked you that question... With an answer that's exactly the reality which you said it all...

Do you have interest in any specific topic/niche in development? I'm new to programming focusing on Linux and Kali in particular... Have you ever thought about "pen testing" or doing white hat work? Since you already know the "offensive" side if would be easy for you to pinpoint area's that would be vulnerable where you play "defense"... From bug bounties to testing websites, anything IOT related, cloud, automotive computer exploits, testing other people's/companies networks, systems, app's, etc and so on just again with your knowledge of how to " build a wall" even focusing on iOS specifically you know where to look/start "breaking down the wall"...

Just idea's... Demand has no limits especially over the next few years, majority of the bounty payout companies have no interest in hiring you or anyone in particular then roll up all the money that would cost to staff in house employees into nice profits, being smart not trying to become Superman who finds a jailbreak method for the " lottery " bounty but focusing on smaller, much more simple, less pay = fewer hunter's while minimum's are always a few hundred dollars each into the thousands which add up cracking them down back to back for companies, do freelance work, and eventually if your providing value (which help's dramatically that your actually passionate about your field of work) you will have client's knocking on your door rather than having to market yourself as much while getting a consistent flow of work that the demand is so high it's undescribable...

;)

Quincosa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 26, 2017
Miami, Florida
Exactly why I asked you that question... With an answer that's exactly the reality which you said it all...

Do you have interest in any specific topic/niche in development? I'm new to programming focusing on Linux and Kali in particular... Have you ever thought about "pen testing" or doing white hat work? Since you already know the "offensive" side if would be easy for you to pinpoint area's that would be vulnerable where you play "defense"... From bug bounties to testing websites, anything IOT related, cloud, automotive computer exploits, testing other people's/companies networks, systems, app's, etc and so on just again with your knowledge of how to " build a wall" even focusing on iOS specifically you know where to look/start "breaking down the wall"...

Just idea's... Demand has no limits especially over the next few years, majority of the bounty payout companies have no interest in hiring you or anyone in particular then roll up all the money that would cost to staff in house employees into nice profits, being smart not trying to become Superman who finds a jailbreak method for the " lottery " bounty but focusing on smaller, much more simple, less pay = fewer hunter's while minimum's are always a few hundred dollars each into the thousands which add up cracking them down back to back for companies, do freelance work, and eventually if your providing value (which help's dramatically that your actually passionate about your field of work) you will have client's knocking on your door rather than having to market yourself as much while getting a consistent flow of work that the demand is so high it's undescribable...

;)
That is the goal man!! Thanks for the engagement!!

Jonathan Polley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 26, 2016
Valencia, Spain
On the whole, I actually love my slowlane job. (Not that I don't want to be rid of it) And having two young kids at home, it can be practically impossible to get anything done during the day while they are awake anyway.

Where as, on the average work day I can get at least 2.5 hours of productive fastlaning. I get in first in the morning so can get an hour or so done before the day starts. Have 1.5 hours of breaks on most days. And then normally another hour where I'm not doing anything so can work on my own stuff.

Plus 15 weeks off a year on full pay. Time to work on my own stuff again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.