The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Down in Phoenix!!!

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
It's been a while and the missus and I have been very busy with the move and a lot of other stuff so I haven't been as active in the last few months but I'm hoping now that we're in the "heart" of the Fastlane community(MJ's home town and the permanent spot for B&P) that we'll be more active.

Right now we're looking forward to all the opportunities here and most of all, the warm weather!!!

Any suggestions on outdoor activities???

We're in the West Valley area and I plan on continuing my 7-day cardio program- 3 days x 1hr bike ride(15-16mi), 2 days x 5mi run, 1 day x 3.1mi run and 1 long bike ride(50mi+)... as far as the running I can do that in the area as well as the "short" bike rides, however, on Sun I plan to do my first long ride at 60mi and need to find a nice path/route to ride.

In addition, we're not much into the bar/club life, but would like to know more about fun/recreation activities, such as the Fastlane softball team ;)

As far as our Sidewalk to Fastlane plan, I can't be too descriptive here due to my employment status, but will post more about it in the private forums :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I've been wondering if you'd made the big move.

Congratulations!

I know this was a big for you--- and it might not seem like anything to someone who is just reading this post.

But try it sometime: Pack up, sell all of your belongings, leave everyone and everything you know behind, and move a couple thousand miles away to start a new life.

REP SPEED FOR DOING, vr4playa. :thumbsup:

Good on you. :banana:

-Russ H.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Yeah, I recognize it was a big deal for 'em, even if doing the similar wasn't a big deal for me.

But I lack many of the things that keep people rooted... Situational or psychological. Plus I had somewhere to stay and deal with the job situation.

Even as I say that, I think doing it again would be a bigger deal at the moment. I'm not overly employable, and I don't have my fast lane vehicle up and running yet. So staying alive would be a concern.

Uhm... Yeah, with the ego out of the way, back to saying congratulations! You know, if fastlaners keep going to Phoenix, you guys might wind up accidentally rewriting the landscape. Actually, how awesome would that be to see in a history book?

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
My situation is similar to yours Justin... we're living with my parents now and still have a few things back in Chicago with my in-laws, either way, we still need to get rid of excess stuff and even after unpacking my clothes it seems like I've got too many despite throwing out some and donating some more.

And another question for the Phoenix area guys - What do you do about the nasty water?

Not sure if the water in Scottsdale is as bad as it is in the West Valley, but I've heard that there's really no filter you can put on the faucet that will make it potable in contrast to Chicago water which was like Evian even from the tap ;)

Looks like we'll be getting one of those 5 gallon tanks for drinking water and possibly a Brita filter for the faucet to make dish water less nasty considering we prefer doing them by hand after seeing how gross the inside of the dishwasher is.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
We do share that part then. (Well, close enough!) But don't let that cheapen your accomplishment. For me it was easy because I simply don't care. I can go without seeing the people I know indefinitely, there's no career to tie me down...
The main things keeping me here: I haven't got a passport and it's convenient to be where I am for now.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Still wondering what the deal is with the water here?

I saw that Culligan does in-home water treatment systems, something that a door-to-door "scammer" from RainSoft tried to sell me once, however, there was no need for better water in Chicago, here it's a different story ;)

In addition it was little chilly tonight for my bike ride, but still beats the heavy jacket, double-sock + toe warmers and leather glove + hand warmers weather in Chicago.

And oh yea, I've been looking forward to this for over a year- playing some softball and hanging out with the local Fastlaners!

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Still wondering what the deal is with the water here?

yeah, we have a high calcium content in our water down here... count it as our one *minor* draw back to the area. I prefer bottled water myself, but if you averse to that, I'm sure you'll adjust in time ;)

warning: shameless self-promotion to follow...

Let me know if you need help finding a permanent place to live down here in the valley! ;)

And welcome to the best place to live in this fair country! :hurray::hurray::hurray:

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
I prefer bottled water myself, but if you averse to that, I'm sure you'll adjust in time ;)

No problem with bottled water except having to constantly buy it... having a cooler is much more convenient :)

Let me know if you need help finding a permanent place to live down here in the valley! ;)

Probably won't be until next year or later, but I'll keep you posted.

I have a buddy who was a RainSoft distributor. He got killed with the credit crisis. Sales dropped from $3mil to $70k in a year. They lived off the easy credit market.

So is this stuff for real? The sales pitch was the biggest joke I had ever seen and this is after I thought I had seen it all(i.e. The Learning Annex Seminar in '08 or the several MLM pitches thrown at me).

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
So is this stuff for real? The sales pitch was the biggest joke I had ever seen and this is after I thought I had seen it all(i.e. The Learning Annex Seminar in '08 or the several MLM pitches thrown at me).

Yep. He was doing installations for Home Depots in our area. My son put in a system in his house, and they seem to like it.

I, myself, feel it is way overpriced. It was around $6k for a water filtration system and water softener with supplies for a year. Unfortunately, when my buddy closed the doors, the supllies went with him.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
When I lived on the west side I found nothing wrong with the water. I would drink the tap water. What's wrong with it? In my Scottsdale home I have a whole house water softner which I have to keep filling the tank with salt. It does make a difference in the water when I look at my dishwasher insides, but I don't see a difference in taste or my showers.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
It has a smoky taste to it and the inside of the dishwasher looks like a battlefield.

I called Culligan today and it costs $6/mo to rent a cooler and bottle delivery is $13 for 2 x 5gal bottles which I can get filled at Walmart for $1.35/bottle so it looks like $19 for the first month and $6 + however many refills I need moving forward, thus I'll probably go this route.

Where on the West Side did you live btw?

And when are you going on your next mountain biking trip? I'm prepping to keep up at the moment :)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I lived in Litchfield Park. No biking for me until Jan, I'm taking the month of Dec. to rest. ;)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Dude congrats on making the change. Whats the deal with the fastlane plan now?

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
I lived in Litchfield Park. No biking for me until Jan, I'm taking the month of Dec. to rest. ;)

Oh man, I missed out! Oh well, more time to train, I doubt I could keep up with you on the trails since all I've done is street riding, not many trails back home especially considering most forest preserves don't allow bikes to go on the off-road paths any more :(

Dude congrats on making the change. Whats the deal with the fastlane plan now?

I posted about it in the Speedway, Level 2, there's a few reasons I prefer not to post in the public forums, but I can say that it involves tax preparation- something I should've gotten into a LONG time ago!

What is it about Chicago that is driving people to Phoenix???

TWO things: weather and cost of living... at least that's what did it for me, the B&P and a nice concentration of local Fastlaners is also an added bonus :)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Man, what a year this has been for you! Moved, lost weight, got back to training and getting fit, the wedding thingy... I am very happy for you and your wife (please tell her I said hi)

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Thanks Andres, I'll be sure to tell her! Hopefully you can tell her in person for the B&P, although it looks like we'll only be able to make the evenings as our part-year business doesn't allow for days off ;)

On that note, it's only the tip of the iceberg... I still am 26lbs away from my goal weight, about 45 seconds off my goal marathon pace and will perpetually need to strengthen my family/friend relationships, but I feel I'm on the right track :)

And oh yea, the Freedom part of the trinity(Family-Fitness-Freedom) is still a long ways away since a) we live with my parents, b) the business side is still a work in progress

On that note, I still need to finish my "Quick Reference" guide to the book, I wrote out all the chapter summaries and have done Ch 1-9 by tabbing and typing up specific lines that will be helpful in our journey(see post in the Speedway for more info)

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Just wondering if anyone's down for a little get-together sometime this weekend?

While it's been fun getting in touch with nature and spending a ton of family time, I'm really looking forward to meeting up with some of the Fastlane family before I go home for Xmas(12/22-12/31) ;)

Especially since starting 1/1 I will be hella-busy until at least 4/18, but should hopefully have an evening here or there to get together during the tax season and will definitely make time during the B&P to get together for the evening events and if needed I might be able to help with set-up in the early AM.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Anyone down for Sat or Sun?

So far I've made contact with TerrenceCheng, biophase, RealOG, imirza and PhxMJ since I've been down here. I'd like to see if we could get the whole gang together, otherwise, I'm still content with meeting with y'all individually :)

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I could be down for Sunday. We can always mix some football in... :)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I could be down for Sunday. We can always mix some football in... :)

Make sure you wear a lot of padding when playing football with Clint, he's twice your size and weight!!!

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Make sure you wear a lot of padding when playing football with Clint, he's twice your size and weight!!!

oh, Andres, I still have all my pads/helmet/messed up ribs from playing with the Arizona Titans... ;)

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
So Sunday it is, only question is during or after the Bears game?

And also, what's a good central location?

I know Terence is in Gilbert and Mike and Kenric are both in Scottsdale, so if there's a nice chill spot to catch the game in Scottsdale, let me know, otherwise if you're down for the trip, we can have a little gathering at my place, although Goodyear is quite a hike. Even though he's out in the boonies, it would be best if we could all crash at MJ's but I'm sure he wouldn't be down for that :p

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I meant watch football, not actually play it, LOL

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Not sure if Tilted Kilt is the best place to go considering we'll have females in attendance(Red and Mrs. vr4playa aka ItsMyLife so far) ;)

Any other suggestions, preferably another client of yours Terence? :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...