The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Limpur

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 18, 2019
Thank you for the eye-opening post.
As a person who always lurks, this was important to hear.
It's a simple but powerful tip to get involved and improve.
I will try it out.

farouqali

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 16, 2021
This applies to other parts of Life too. Work Is much Better since Is started partecipating instead of minding my own, and I made some good relationships in the meanwhile
Its true, it builds confidence and character to appreciate what is worthy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

chaoticbusiness

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Oct 23, 2021
MN, USA
4) You’ll get into the habit of “giving thanks” properly (where you explain how it’s helped you).

Developing a habit of expressing gratitude towards others has some spiritual benefits, no doubt. Saying/typing "thank you" means a lot more IMO than hitting a like button.

6) You’ll slowly move from team consumer to team producer.

The consumer trap is very hard to escape and very well designed. There have been a few times where I've temporarily switched to a producer, but the vast majority of my life has been consumer. But, nothing is stopping me from switching to team producer 24/7, especially armed with the knowledge from TMF (about 80% thru). I'm excited to give value to as many people as possible!

Come back and thank me later.

Oh, I will, many times

But seriously, thank you, Andy. I've been browsing the forum for the past 2 weeks while reading and digesting TMF for the first time, and you're obviously one of the biggest names around these parts - helps that you present yourself as a human, too!

Thank you for the incredible wealth of knowledge you've shared, for free, thus far. I can't imagine how many entrepreneurs your guidance as helped, I'm very grateful for your presence here!

MveloWins

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 19, 2013
South Africa
You may be tempted to lurk - in this forum, other forums, or in life.

You'll do better to participate instead.

Worried you don’t have value to add?

Start by giving thanks.

If you read something you like then don’t just hit the Like button.

Quote it, thank the poster, and explain why it helped you.

Here’s what’ll happen:

1) You’ll help the poster realise they’re not posting to the void.

2) You’ll encourage them to post again.

3) You’ll help them keep going, possibly through dark times.

4) You’ll get into the habit of “giving thanks” where you explain how it’s helped you.

5) You’ll start being seen as someone who appreciates and supports others.

7) You’ll start making friends, building relationships, and creating win-wins (the essence of business).

Try it and see what happens.

Come back and thank me late

Start by giving thanks.

Here’s what’ll happen:

4) You’ll get into the habit of “giving thanks” where you explain how it’s helped you.

7) You’ll start making friends, building relationships, and creating win-wins (the essence of business).

Thank you Andy...its so easy to be a passive consumer of content and think you are making progress (action faking). We learn best through participation and this is a reminder of that. Thanks again.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
I'm taking your advice @Andy Black , to be honest I had decided not to go on the forum too often for the purpose of staying focused on my first business, but now after a year or so I realize that this was a bad decision, because participating here is really motivating and insightful, for me and the persons I interact with.

Plus I'm beginning to have a little experience in business so maybe my contribution will be of interest for somes folks

Anyway thank for the reminder

Last edited:

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Mar 23, 2015

Start by giving thanks.

Here’s what’ll happen:

Thanks Andy!

That's the exact same "strategy" I used when joined INSIDERS last year and got back to activity here on this forum.

What first was only "thank you" posts suddenly became long posts I had no idea I wanted to create and contribute.

Inspiration really strikes when you fingers just start hitting the keyboard after you decide to write a reply.

Thanks again for bringing this up and make it even clearer to me.

As always, I appreciate your posts!

Last edited:

Zenden

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Oct 14, 2020
Thanks for this thread. I've been a forum member for over a year already but only posted a few comments as I haven't had much to say. I'm currently building my first software product and have been pondering if I should record my successes, failures and general discoveries along the way. Time to stop lurking :D

blade runner

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jul 16, 2020
Shanghai

Start by giving thanks.

Here’s what’ll happen:

Thanks! This was much needed as I've registered on here almost 1,5 years ago, and after initial lurking, I got into action, made a lot of changes in life, and now recently I am realizing that the "desert of desertion" was mostly called upon me by myself and that more engagement with the right communities would be great.

So, thanks again!

DMass

Breaking Chains One Day At A Time...
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 11, 2021
Hey @Andy Black

Thank you for your post, as someone who doesn't really like to be in the lime light (something that I plan on fixing), its useful to consider the impact of being a lurker not on just yourself but on the community as a whole.

I will certainly try and add value when and where I can and look forward to being a active member of the community.

I guess I better go a put together a introduction post!

Thanks again

Sega Saph

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Dec 17, 2021
Russia
Thank you for this brilliant ideas Andy! Hope to become a creator, not a consumer on this forum. Now i press like button for every message, wivh was interesting to read! And your deep thoughts everywere on the forum helps ppl like me to become a better version of themselves. Peace!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you Andy for this callout. I've been lurking, not just on here but in a lot of other places online, until I saw this post. Your advice gave me the little push into the mindset of gratitude, I needed to take action and I did. I got to really thank the people who added value to my life.

You helped me see the value I can add to another persons life just by taking the time to thank them. I went all in, starting from my circle of friends, all it took was some descripted genuine complements and we saw immediate improvements in our relationships.

I've starting seeing it in myself. It was the first step to really do something. The best part is, it requires NO CAPITAL to do and really does help with a (emotional) need.

I tried it outside of my social circle and it was immediate gratification, funny how that works, self gratification from a selfless act.

You provided not just me, but the whole world with immense value when you didn't have to, for that you deserve respect.
Thank you.

-Tim
The best feedback for creators? Someone taking action and feeding back their (positive) results.

Yes, it doesn’t require capital or much time to thank people descriptively. It’s amazing the immediate and positive effect such a small action has on others, and us. Maybe this is even the highest ROI activity we can take?

Thanks for implementing, and letting us know the results. You’ve made my day.

ateares

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 10, 2016

Start by giving thanks.

Here’s what’ll happen:

Thank you for posting this. This is a beautiful piece of advice and a reminder that we can still be present and participate online and not just in person. I do find myself lurking on the internet and also becoming a mindless consumer at times.

This season has been a tougher one due to so much isolation and changes from job to business, and general family craziness.

I've made it a plan to be more present, grateful and happy in 2022 and beyond, and this is something I am incorporating into my life and intentional interactions. Thank you!

Dionysos

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 1, 2020
Netherlands
This thread is gold and was the actual reason for me to start contributing on here. I realized there's truth to it.

Before I was the person who will google anything and then lurk on the subject in forums or whatever without offering solutions or giving feedback. The same applied to the Fastlane forum.

While I'm not the most active user I agree on the benefits of contributing and saying thanks.

So here goes:
- Thank you Andy!
- Thank you MJ for your books and this forum!
- Thank you to so many other epic members of this forum, this is really life-changing!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This thread is gold and was the actual reason for me to start contributing on here. I realized there's truth to it.

Before I was the person who will google anything and then lurk on the subject in forums or whatever without offering solutions or giving feedback. The same applied to the Fastlane forum.

While I'm not the most active user I agree on the benefits of contributing and saying thanks.

So here goes:
- Thank you Andy!
- Thank you MJ for your books and this forum!
- Thank you to so many other epic members of this forum, this is really life-changing!
I’m glad you replied and gave thanks. Your words are alive with energy and enthusiasm. Keep it up!

Not Sure

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Mar 7, 2016
Thank you, @Andy Black for starting this thread and providing the impetus for us chronic lurkers to step out of the shadows. I have a Google Doc called "Fastlane intro" from April 2019. Seriously. As if my join date isn't enough to solidify my status.

You hit the nail on the head regarding the motivation, or lack thereof. I didn't feel like my introduction would be particularly helpful to anyone on its own merit, so no reason to put it out there if it's not of value. This parallels why so many of us put-off venturing into business for ourselves - we feel like we don't have some killer product or that someone else has beaten you to market, so we never take the leap. I realize that's starting a business and posting on an online forum are not apt comparisons, but the common thread is devaluing ones ability to contribute, whether to a market or an online forum.

Again, thanks for pulling this lurker out of his hole. I'll make my intro post soon and won't wait until I finish The Great Rat-Race Escape first. :)

nami93

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 10, 2019

Start by giving thanks.

Here’s what’ll happen:

Thank you @Andy Black !
You managed to get me to write my first comment on this forum. I registered a long ago, after I heared about the forum in the MJ's book. And for a long time I just read the threads, but nothing to add.... And after a while I even don't visited the forum for a long time. Today it just popped in my mind that this forum is exist and it has tons of valuable content. I looked for GOLD threads and found this. I've benn thinking about for a while to be more active in online platforms, but I didn't know where to start, because I feeled I can't offer value.... So thank you again for this advice.
And Thanks @MJ DeMarco for mark as GOLD, because that's the reason I can found it (and for the forum, and for the books as well)

SunshineGrit

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Apr 19, 2021

Start by giving thanks.

I am a self described "encouraging lurker"(giving likes and encouraging words when no one else is), HA. Guess I'll have to change that. I think a lot of times I analyze what I said and think it was of no value so it discourages me from saying more. I am my own greatest critic. And I gotta get over it.
Thanks for the reminder, Andy

ASINGH

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jan 7, 2022
Trinidad & Tobago
I always enjoy the value you share, and more than the value putting it into practise. This is important, my downfall, before this entire journey was full-on procrastination. Going through an entire mindset change was an awakening I needed.

When we put things in action, magic happens.

The impossible becomes possible.

Thank you for this reminder.
I have gotten so accustomed to just getting things done that it is difficult for me to post these replies. Andy's post helped me to just be calm and enjoy myself a bit with the Posts and Replies.

calmed98

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 24, 2020
London

Start by giving thanks.

Here’s what’ll happen:

Thank you for the reminder. I haven't been active in the forum for a year while I was focusing on getting started with my web design business. I definitely need to go to this forum more often and actually post instead of just liking people's posts. That way I can make new friends!

admiralrohan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jan 6, 2022
Hi, thanks for sharing your interesting perspective. Can you elaborate more on the last point? How to move from transactional to more personal level online?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
Hey Andy!

I love reading your posts and comments! You have so much wisdom to share. I definitely feel like a lurker but I’ve challenged myself to be more active in commenting and even posting. I really don’t like social media and have never been big on putting myself out there as Facebook and instagram and all the others seem so shallow and make me feel crappy the more time I spend on them. So I’ve got rid off the apps off my phone and spend all that time I would be spending on social media on this forum now. I am wondering though as I start to build a brand and business is it essential to be well versed in marketing with social media??
I’m not a social media user either! No shame though in asking questions and posting valuable insights you’ve gained on your journey out of the rat race on the forum. You’ll find people here are friendly and helpful. As for social media use, it has its utility as a branding tool in business, no doubt. For me though (and it sounds like you as well), I don’t find much value in posting everything I’m doing to impress friends, family, and acquaintances!

natashaquinn88

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2021
Hawaii
I’m not a social media user either! No shame though in asking questions and posting valuable insights you’ve gained on your journey out of the rat race on the forum. You’ll find people here are friendly and helpful. As for social media use, it has its utility as a branding tool in business, no doubt. For me though (and it sounds like you as well), I don’t find much value in posting everything I’m doing to impress friends, family, and acquaintances!
Thank you for your reply! I guess it’s all about finding the balance and using the tool of social media without getting sucked into mindless scrolling. And as soon as I have the means that will be the first job I delegate to someone else!!

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
We could all use an uncle like Andy. Thank You, Andy. Seriously, every single time I read a post from you, it oozes with care and love. On a tangent here; however, I got to share this with you... the "instead of but, use and" thread... It saved a family reunion of mine. The other day, I got along with my distant family members that would usually bicker with me at the table, just because of "you're right, and I also believe XYZ could help out too. It would make your product even better"!

Mike Carr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 5, 2018
Portugal

Start by giving thanks.

Here’s what’ll happen:

Great post, thanks Andy. I have a habit of lurking and I'm going to try out your advice.

Colff

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Apr 10, 2022
Wiesbaden

Start by giving thanks.

Here’s what’ll happen:

Thank you Andy. I just finished reading The Millionaire Fastlane and then joined the forum. Thanks for giving me the advice not to lurk and to participate in the forum.

MrE

Be. Create. Repeat.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jul 26, 2021
Colorado
Count how many times I use the word “you” in the opening post…
You used a couple forms of 'you' a total of 15 times in your opening post.

Which is 10% of the total post.

You gave 10% of the words directly to 'you' but 100% of the post is for 'you.'

You, once again, have added amazing value to this forum.

Thank you Andy!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.