The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Doing the Andy Frisella "75 Hard" Challenge

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
This is a SUPPORT thread.
Are you being 100% supportive?!?

No?

THEN GET THE F*ck OFF THIS THREAD!!
~~

Congrats to everyone for having better game plans. I’m on Day 9 and it FEELS like every weird emotional issue I’ve ever had is popping up to try and self-sabotage. In reality I’m smoothly checking off boxes and managing to get everything done every day. But I haven’t been consistent for WHEN I get everything done and this is definitely my biggest life problem.

Emotional sabotages include:

I have ex/boyfriends texting me, one of whom I was madly crushing on for a month while he pursued me in ridiculously romantic ways before I decided he wasn’t a good guy... and yesterday I literally stumbled upon new info.. he’s married. !!!!!! WTF? I dunno why it matters to me but It Does.

I found out someone betrayed me and is making thousands off of my idea. I found out one of my best friends is pregnant.

My accountability partner screwed up and went back to Day 1.

I’m like a freaking basket case. It’s bad. BUT!! I haven’t screwed up.

So.. ya know.. this shit isn’t easy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Wow @Fox you where not kidding this is F*cking hard balls...

Woke up early went for my brisk walk,smashed down 1 litre of water before work, read 7 pages before work of a book.

Resisted temptation of all the goodies in the fridge while i was there, i crushed it!

Or so i thought....

everything was on target it was 7:30 pm i had 1 litre of water to go for the day and all i had to do was get my 45 minute gym session in and read the last 3 pages of the book, photo in the morning was already done.

Unconsciously i was at the bench chatting to a chef (She new i was doing the challenge and said she would keep me on track)

I dipped my hand into a chip bowl ate 2 chips dipped in napoli sauce while navel gazing into the near empty dining room, i head back to my section and about 20 seconds later it hit me....

FFFAAARRRRKKKKK!!!

Tim what?

I FAILED THE FARKENNN CHALLENGE GOD DAMMIT!!!

Last edited:

jack rhodes

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Jun 27, 2019
Whats up guys! Names jack, I'm a new poster on FLF, but have read the book (why were all here) and have been lurking on the forum for awhile, but havent posted till now. This is what made me want to start posting. I'm 20 YO and go to university in Miami and do Ecommerce branding.

Huge fan of Andy Frisella, on my first try with 75HARD, day 7 today.

By far the hardest thing for me personally has been the no alcohol. I am around a constant environment of partying/drugs and alcohol. I'm home for summer right now and literally all of my friends do it 3x a week. Its been really hard saying no but I am getting better in every way, am way more focused on the work that needs to be done. I don't plan on quitting. The hardest part is I'm going to be around day 55 on my 21st birthday. Thats gonna be hard.

Everything else I already did for the most part, worked out every day and still doing that but now just adding in a 45 min outside session at night. Had to up water intake to a gallon but it wasn't too bad adjusting. Love reading so no problem there. I've always ate healthy, but no cheat meal definitely is pretty hard. Used to usually take one once a week.

Looking forward to talking to you guys and crushing this. Follow me on IG if you guys want to connect: @jackkrhodes

Cheers :)

fishgodeep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton
My sister just got a candy floss (cotton candy) machine for her birthday, it's so tempting!

That's painful ha. Best of luck

Day 39

This is where I fell on my first attempt. It's been a long climb just to get back to where I was 6 weeks ago :rofl:. But in the end this will have made accomplishing it all the better. And it's more realistic, at least for myself. Progress is rarely if ever linear, it's up and down more than bitcoin stock. That's why I find it's good to focus on day to day tasks but you also have to step back and take in an aerial view of your life. Because no matter what there will be day to day failures and it's easy to let these anchor you down. But if your able to look at it from a macro level hopefully you'll see that despite minor set backs overall your progressing.

Here's a couple of snaps. From Day 1 to my current point today Day 39. Just got done with my outdoor cardio. You get some weird looks from folk when your walking around wearing a bulletproof vest .:rofl:

How's everyone else doing, where are you today?

75 HARD - Day 1.jpg75 HARD - Day 39.jpg

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
So not strictly challenge related but I was having crazy vivid dreams the first few weeks of doing this. I was waking up with the pillow soaked in sweat and my heart racing.

I figured it was the amount of water but turned out it was some supplements I was taking. I have stopped taking all supplements the last few nights and am sleeping way better and deeper.

Day 22 today I believe. Nearly 1/3 there.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Day 49

This shit isn't fun anymore lol. This is my third (and final) attempt. Here's what I've learned:

Day 1 - 5
This is when excitement and motivation is high. It's fresh, it's like a new relationship, your as nervous as you excited. But you still need to get over the 'hump'. You jump on Instagram, make some inspirational posts get a few likes and comments from your mates.
"What's that challenge called?"
"Is there an app?"
"I'm starting Monday"

Day 6 - 20
This is when motivation peaks. You've gathered momentum, created new habits. Your unstoppable. You even start thinking it's easy. And likes keep pouring in. But you start to notice something. None of your mates are jumping in. Or they're doing it wrong, not following the instructions. Constantly making substitutions and justifying them. Oh well their loss you think, you've got this. I mean it feels easy right?

Day 21 - 50
Motivation starts to wane then eventually disappears. It's not fun anymore and it's no longer easy. The likes and comments are dropping off as well. Your friends have moved onto the next thing. None of them joined you or they did for a day or two then tapped out. And now what are you left with?

Motivation - that fire has all but burned out, now you notice how tired you feel

Validation - no one online cares anymore, something else is trending

All you have left is discipline. Discipline hangs around long after motivation F*cks off. Discipline will see you through. But you must be diligent, you must constantly work at it. Day in, day out. Left foot in front of right, right foot in front of left.

This has truly become a grind. And I love it lol

I still care buddy ha

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Ok I'm in. Had a little warmup session today and chucked out a few things like the coffee, sugar (it was getting out of hand, lol) etc and am ready to start tomorrow.

I'm used to drinking that much water (and yeah always looking for a toilet is the biggest god damn pain) and have a great and simple high fat low carb diet to stick to. It's repetitive AF but I kinda like that. Lots of veg, avocado, lean chickem breast and the only carbs is some sweet potato.

Just going to go with a morning and evening 45 min run every day to begin. I'm not at all a gym guy but think I may start getting into that in a few weeks.

I seriously have no excuses for this. I've recently moved to a city where I know barely anyone, am single and have no dependants, and have a good grocery store literally next door to me and a beach with trails only 5 mins away. So no distractions and no excuses. It's definitely a danger to forget something silly though, like the pic, the last bit of water etc. Looking forward to this, and it came at the exact right time for me. The health benefits will be great, but this is the first kind of mental strength exercise I think I've done. I've been thinking a lot about this after listening to a few interviews here and there by Jocko, and even knowing some ex military guys and seeing it.

I really liked Andy's podcast episode on this. May even give it a repeat listen every morning on the first 45 min run for the first week or so.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Day 5 of 75 Hard. Best day yet by far.

I'm on day 6 of Keto. Yesterday I was kind of low energy. It was weird because it came in waves. I would feel tired then I would get up to go somewhere and feel normal. Maybe it was sleep or the fact that I'm cutting calories in addition to cutting carbs.

Today I slept an extra hour and have had more energy than I have in years. I seriously feel like I did when I was 10. I'm even wiggling around in my chair when I work because I can't sit still. I think my body has finally kicked into ketosis. Also, a little coffee goes a long ways now. One cup is almost too much. Adrenaline related? Who knows.

I'm also starting to relish in the challenge. I've learned that my lazy tendencies come from the fact that everything has always come easy for me. Being naturally talented at everything has made me into a soft a$$ motherfcker. I've always been able to slack and still succeed. But never anywhere near my potential.

I listened to Andy's podcast Execution Over Emotion and it clicked for me. I'm really bad at "doing it anyway", which is why I'm doing this challenge. Now that I've put it into words it's got a lot easier for me to stay focused on getting shit done and not slacking. I'm now openly looking for those times where my mind tells me I don't want to do something and I "Do it F*cking anyways."

It's a really great feeling and I can feel the self-confidence swelling already.

I track all this stuff on a notepad and my diet on Myfitnesspal so I make sure I don't F*ck up. I'm seriously aiming to crush this challenge first try. No compromises. It's not as much because I don't want to start over as I want to stay true to myself from now on.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
I really commend you guys for being honest and true to the challenge. I think I showed an example of it in my intro in the thread, I strongly agree with @MattR82 in that you should be as specific as possible.

Your mind will F*ck with you as you guys have seen, and I have experienced this many times before taking this challenge, when trying to lose weight by dieting. The only thing that works for me is to write down specifically what is and is not acceptable on the diet.

I had to eat out a couple times last weekend for family stuff, and I looked at the menus or called ahead of wherever we were eating to make sure I could eat something without breaking my diet. That way, when I get there I know what I'm ordering and that I won't eat anything else, even when they plop that glorious fresh-out-of-the-oven bread with olive oil in front of me, there is no desire because I have steeled myself ahead of time.

We fail, we learn, we get back on the horse. You can do it, focus your mind. Maybe consider reading some Stoic philosophy. Ryan Holiday is a good practical introduction, I am reading The Obstacle is the Way currently. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (the Gregory Hays translation) is also very good.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
The hardest part of the challenge (suprisingly) is people around me not wanting me to change and causing bs stress. It got too much yestwrday. Was easier to appease than continue to day7. Still my fault, I should have communicated better what it is I'm doing.

This sadly does not surprise me. This is a common problem I have dealt with as I've lost weight, especially if I mention eating a low-carb one-meal-a-day diet, or how often I am exercising, or how much water I'm drinking, or even that I still have more weight to lose.

The hens come clucking and the cocks crowing.

People that have nothing better to do than try to tear you down, whether they do it subconsciously or not. This is an excellent opportunity to practice not caring what other people think, know you are doing the right thing for yourself and ignore their ignorant musings on your life.

Crabs in a bucket. If one tries to climb out, the others will pull it back in to climb over it (be higher status, feel better than, fragile ego).

Saying No becomes fun when you put your own needs first.

"No, I'm sorry, I'm focused on this goal."
"No, I really can't have one bite. Yes, I am serious. Please do not ask me again."

It feels powerful, it really is fantastic.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
Day 56, still going strong. At a new all-time low of 191lbs. Trying to get rid of this flab before I post those progress pics I promised. Have an appointment at a martial arts gym on Saturday. Planning to start thai kickboxing for my workouts, mostly because I'm scared shitless of doing a martial art. I've never been in a fight, even as a kid. Trying to push myself more now that I'm on the final stretch of phase 0. Cant believe I've been doing this for only 2 months, it feels like years lol.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
I, like the other 51,000 FLF members, have been following this thread mostly for the @Fox selfies but what a powerful lesson above.

@Primeperiwinkle this forum loves you dearly and you are one of my favorite contributors. The lesson I’m getting from above is are you subconsciously sabotaging yourself by saying “it’s ok to fail as long as I tried” vs. “I will not fail”?

It’s something that I struggle with as well (my subconcious and I are not on good terms most days). That was my takeaway from Yoda.

Go after everything in life with the mentality that you will not quit and you will not fail. And never tell yourself that quitting is ok.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Some great posts on here.

I am fully in this to win with zero deviations from the challenge.

I have failed because quite simply I have not been up to par. I should have been more tuned in, more engaged, and with better systems. But that isn't from a lack of wanting to finish - its because of how I have been living previous to this challenge.

Since I started this challenge my business has been growing faster than ever, I am in the best shape I have ever been in, and my confidence is the highest it has been in years. I am seeing real change.

But I am not going for 30% change or 50% change - I want the full 100% benefit of completing the first 75 days and all the other stages. Expect me to still be working on this till the end of the year.

@Yoda has a great point - even though on one level I 100% wanted to do this I still didn't align myself 100% with what it would take. Hence the failures.

It is a great lesson for me.

Day #4 today. Time for a forest walk in the rain ;)

Snoophek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Oct 8, 2016
Right now I just wanted to say thank you to @Yoda and @Primeperiwinkle. Sometimes we have those things growing inside of us that need just the right touch to surface. Your conversation touched me deeply, as it regards my own mindset and approach to life.

I've been thinking about goals a lot recently. In particular, about how I seem to put way more energy into self-improvement than any of my peers and yet have very little to show for it. And I'm really good at bullshitting, but however much I may bullshit, it is not enough to cover up the fact that in the end it's results that matter. And it's nothing to boast about if you've been putting 2, 3 or 4x times the amount of effort if all it did was make you spin faster in circles.

The thing I've observed is that the more I try to force a certain outcome, the less probable it is that I'll make it. And when I fail, I become disappointed and angry with myself, which only makes me want to force the change so much more. Of course, it inevitably leads more more disappointment and the circle continues.

The theory I'm starting to develop is that you cannot change through effort. It is rather the internal change through which the effort starts flowing outwards, until the vision you hold of yourself matches what is manifested in the world. In other words, you cannot improve yourself until you're already improved. All my failed attempts at being better seem to boil down to this discrepancy - the goals didn't really align with who I were.

There is certainly more to this and I still have a lot of holes in my thinking, but maybe some of you will find those thoughts useful. There's a great TED talk that expands on the idea and if you're having problems with changing yourself, I urge you to give it a listen. For me it was very interesting: The 100 Rule

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I can't believe it - was cruising this time and then forgot to do my second work out yesterday.

Its the same thing that has happened a bunch of times before - I think I have everything done and head off to bed forgetting one item on the list. I even have the app to remind me but that slipped my mind also (I know).

Every time I fail like this it shows me I got more potential to step up my awareness and organizing skills. I am flat out right now with my business (just got a third person on the team) so the 75 hard challenge is part of a lot of other things.

No excuses though since more busy and successful people than me have done it.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Pro insight: The real hardest part of this challenge is trying not to get caught taking selfies in the gym changing room.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
G

Guest24480

Wow crazy to see this posted after having embarked on the same journey last week.

I am currently finishing up day 8 of the challenge.

Some thoughts so far:
  • Drinking a gallon of water a day is much harder than it sounds. It's best to break it down into more achievable steps. I personally counted the amount of ounces in a gallon (128oz) and divided this by 12, which means that you have to drink just under eleven 12 oz glasses of water per day. Seems much more doable that way.
  • I learned that I don't like taking mirror selfies, but obviously do it anyway.
  • I'm on the carnivore diet which is extremely restrictive but I've been following it for a while so the only thing I'm really eliminating are the bi-weekly cheat meals. The hardest part is finding the time to cook all my meals.
  • Since I'm in a time crunch most days, I just walk to and from the gym (where I complete my other 45 min workout) to get the 45 mins of outdoors exercise completed. This is also where I do my deepest thinking which is also a plus.
  • Reading 10 pages is easy, but I like how it's included in the challenge because it keeps me consistent with it.
I've come close to slipping up a few times but so far so good.

I definitely plan to complete the 75 days and look forward to hear how others are getting along.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I’m in. FML. I need discipline more than anything else in the world. Also, I just broke up with the dude who I thought was amazeballs. I need to focus on something besides dating.

Are ppl doing this on Insta? I’m gonna go listen to the podcast and workout so I can get all the details.

Nick.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 2, 2019
San Diego, CA
Heard the challenge on his podcast, didn't like it because of 1 gallon of water a day. Being a really small dude I don't see myself being able to drink that, and water is the only thing I drink.

Today (1:22 am here) I will be going to day 25 phase 1. I’ve been going hard since day one.

My hardest challenge with this program was the water, I didn’t really drink water at all before it. I used to read around 100 pages a day, workout & around day 40 in the 75hard I added cold showers to my program list. I’ve also messaged Andy & commented about the benefits of the cold showers that I’m tending to think that I had to do with him adding cold showers to the phase 1.

The cold showers were probably that have added the most intensity and grit to this program for me but I absolutely love it.

The first few days of the program it was -20 c (Canada) and the warmer it got the more I wished for it to get cold again so I could have more hardship.

The program has helped my mental state a lot, I had a lot of setbacks and shit happen throughout it & the program has certainly kept me going and forced me to do stuff even when I felt like shit.

Andy Frisella is awesome. I first found out about his MFCEO podcast a few months ago, based on podcast recommendations here on this forum. I was skeptical at first, based on how he treated others on his show. But after hearing him speak, I immediately realized how great his points were and how I needed to not give a F*ck. I also realized how people take it as constructive criticism and use his blunt attitude to push themselves forward, which is exactly what it will do for you, and anybody who listens to it. He talks to his audience in the same way. It was a mental shift in perspective for me. He does it because he is passionate about the success of the people around him and giving people valuable feedback that might not get through to them otherwise. This podcast is exactly what i needed at this point in my life, and now i listen to him every day on my commute to work, along with my relevant audiobooks. If anyone reading this is skeptical about him, just listen through a few episodes before you make your final judgement. You'll understand what i'm saying.

I have also been working on 75HARD, and you'll never guess where i keep messing up. It's that damn gallon of water every day. Everything else is doable. I go long periods of my days without access to a restroom. I am working on a game plan right now to combat this, and I am overcoming any obstacles that stand in my way of accomplishing 75HARD. Just as Andy said, "it will teach you that sometimes the things that look easy, are actually some of the hardest things to do!". and, that comment was directed specifically toward the people who think that drinking a gallon of water every day is easy. He was right.

If i can do it without easy access to a restroom, you guys can do it much more easily. Don't give up.

fishgodeep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton
(I hope mowing the lawn counts!).

Unfortunately no mowing the lawn doesn't count. Andy specifically mentioned this example while going off on a rant lol. So I guess you not the only person to bring this up. This, along with audiobooks books would be examples of people using 'substitutions' to do the programme more efficiently.

But the point isn't to be as efficient as possible it's to be as effective as possible. For example my J.O.B requires me to walk outside for a few hours everyday. So I could make the justification that my two workouts are already done.

But that defeats the larger purpose of this programme. As @Fox has already stated this is designed to improve your self discipline more than anything else. No substitutions, no cutting corners, no bullshit.

It's great to see a bunch of other self motivated people jump on this. I'm willing to use this thread to keep myself accountable. Nothing quite like the shame of having your peers see you fail to keep you motivated lol.

Currently I am on Day 25. Already failed twice, I have no excuses. I've learned from both of these failures and they'll help me succeed this time around.

Anyway enough talking, time for action. Let's feckin smash this people. :fistbump:

See you all on the other side

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
phone reminder w/ checklist that beeps every hour.
as @MJ DeMarco said, the discipline to do this for 75 days and not accept any excuses will be life changing.
@Benny Lim , this could be your first step!

fishgodeep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton
Talk about your struggles.

What one task is proving hardest to stick to?

For myself it is 100% diet. Not deviating from the plan is proving to be the hardest aspect of this programme. Especially on the weekends, for no other reason than I have learned to equate the weekend with 'celebration'. Which I'm sure some of you have also.

I'm starting to reframe it, change how I view weekends. Simply by not viewing them as anything special. There's no weekdays or weekends, just days. And each one is as important as the next.

Day 36 for myself

Where are you guys?

Fid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 26, 2017
Wroclaw, Poland
What one task is proving hardest to stick to?

URINATION.

And I'm only half joking.
Besides that - the workouts, the timing to be precise. How to plan my day around them.

Any superficial motivation is going to burn out.

This. And it's not only about the challenge, I see it again and again, in my life and in others. Any kind of external motivation can only get you so far.

"If you need inspiring words, don't do it" - Elon Musk

fishgodeep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton
I was wondering a few things about the challenge:

1. What is your number 1 WHY to do this?

2. I am surprised to not see any discussions regarding struggles with alcohol consumption, knowing how common it is for many people to take at least one drink per day and more if is under social pressure. Related to this theme, the other day in the Rich Roll Podcast there was a british guy who said more than 90% of people fail to sober up for a single month due to peer pressure.

3. In terms of workouts do you feel like pushing yourself a bit more everyday or you tend to do the same kind of workout everyday? Any experiments with variety? (dance lessons, yoga, Juit jitsu for example).

1. To increase self discipline. If you can control exactly what goes into your body, how much and how often you can create and implement any other positive habit. In my opinion (and it is just an opinion) controlling your fuel source when there's no one around to see you is the backbone of self discipline. Everything stems from this.

2. O can only speak for myself, alcohol has proven to be the easiest part of the programme. I only have to deal with it when I socialize as I never drink at home.

If you find yourself out with family/friends and they're pressuring you to drink (as happens to myself regularly) I have a great trick to get around this. The next time your in a restaurant and someone asks you if your drinking here's what say. You may want to grab a pen........."No".

Learn to say no, learn to say no without apology or excuses. This is a big part of the programme. Practicing saying no. No to alcohol, no to junk, no to worthless relationships, no to sloth and no to excuses.

In the interest of context I'll share my situation. I'm Irish, I live in Canada and I work in the Oil and Gas sector. Do you have any idea how disappointed tradesmen get when the Irish lad isn't drinking. Honestly I carry that stereotype around like F*cking luggage ha. If I can hold my ground, anyone can.

3. Yes. I started changing things up a to make things more difficult as I felt I was coasting a little. My workouts are usually Jiu Jitsu and walking. I love Jiu Jitsu, it's very difficult but it's easy for me to go. So there's not really any self discipline challenge as it's something I want to do.
P.S. everyone should be doing Jiu Jitsu. There's literally no entry barrier in regards to age or physical condition. I've rolled with all shapes, sizes and ages.

The walking was just too easy, I don't want to run as everything is concrete around me. So.......I bought a 40lb weight vest. And it's pretty God damn heavy ha. Now walking has gotten very difficult.

Did my first ever podcast today. For a business with 2.3 million users.

Send a link. I'll critique your accent or lack there of ha

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Things like gummy bears and “20% cheat food to hit calories” are breaking the challenge. There isn’t an grey zones on that - he specifically says it dozens of times.

He said if he had one M&M he would have to restart. He said ANY cheat meal would mention he a restart. He even said for him peanut butter would be a restart.

There is a good podcast where he goes over how people adjust the challenge like this and he basically grills people on it. I’ll try find a link.

I get it’s hard - I’ve failed four times already. But adjusting it to make it easier is making it pointless for yourself. You’ll finish but you won’t get the same benefits from the challenge. Those one or two gummy bears will rob you of most of the lessons from this. Both of you started one way the first time and now are changing the challenge instead of stepping things up.

You both can do it the right way (and only way) - just make it work. You’ll forever know you had the discipline to do something like this which means tons of confidence to tackle bigger goals in life.

fishgodeep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton
A quick update.

Back at day one after failing to stick to my strict diet, struggling to get enough calories from healthy sources so I'm wondering if it's alright to have 20% of borderline unhealthy food to reach a calorie surplus, considering the fact that I'm trying to gain weight.

I've been noticing a couple things recently, I've definitely been using my asthma inhaler alot less, I used to use it every night because I was wheezing but I haven't used it for the past week at all. I can also see that my recovery time has been dramatically reduced, I seem to be able to recover quite quickly after the 45 minute outdoor session.

The challenge has definitely improved my asthma and this has been extremely beneficial as I'm able to play sports without reaching fatigue quickly and I survived a 50 minute tennis session without the use of my inhaler.

A problem I've been having though is that I've only been getting around 6 hours of sleep because I have to wake up at 5AM so that I can workout without my parents knowing. Obviously, this isn't ideal for growth and repair and I should be getting between 7½ to 9 hours at my age, which means that I should sleep at around 9:30 at least. I need to start placing sleep higher on my priority list, so it would be extremely helpful if anyone could recommend me a book or podcast of some sort that highlights the benefits and purpose of sleep.

As has already been stated allowing 'unhealthy food' to make up 20% of your diet defeats the purpose of the programme. Also if you've noticed an improvement in your asthma and overall health. It would seem counterintuitive to eat junk food.

If your struggling to eat enough calories from healthy food choices then what your going to want to do is increase your hunger. The best way to do this is to drink a glass of juice (200 - 300ml will do). Within the hour you will feel hungry. By doing this your spiking your insulin and causing an energy 'crash' afterward where you'll feel hungry. This is why if your trying to loose weight juices/smoothies will not not serve you. But for your purposes it will help.

Also are you being truthful with yourself about it being too hard to get enough calories from healthy food to gain weight or do you just want an excuse to eat junk? Be honest. I've posted a link before but here's another one on the vertical diet. If your goal is weight gain, health and performance then this is the diet for you.

View: https://youtu.be/pQWcN4yWPG4

If you are comfortable doing this challenge, in my mind you've already failed.

100%. If your trying to make it easier your missing the point. If you find it's getting easy then tweak it to make it harder. Personally I started walking with a weight vest to make my outdoor workouts harder.

2) Can be lawnmowing. YES LAWNMOWING COUNTS! I don't lawnmown daily so if on one of my days I feel like it and do it for 45 mins IT COUNTS MF.

Andy is not a god and he is wrong

I understand your intention is not to be confrontational and nor is mine. But I have to address this. I didn't call him a God or some omnipotent being. You drew that conclusion on your own.

For the sake of this programme, which is his programme then logically you should be following the rules he set out for his programme. Would you not agree?

If you disagree and you are free to. Then start your own programme.

Day 1 AGAIN.

Love you stupidheads. Smdh.

Respect for holding yourself to a high standard. I'm on my third attempt so I can relate. It sucks. But ultimately it will make the finish all the sweeter. You got this

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
That's painful ha. Best of luck

Day 39

This is where I fell on my first attempt. It's been a long climb just to get back to where I was 6 weeks ago :rofl:. But in the end this will have made accomplishing it all the better. And it's more realistic, at least for myself. Progress is rarely if ever linear, it's up and down more than bitcoin stock. That's why I find it's good to focus on day to day tasks but you also have to step back and take in an aerial view of your life. Because no matter what there will be day to day failures and it's easy to let these anchor you down. But if your able to look at it from a macro level hopefully you'll see that despite minor set backs overall your progressing.

Here's a couple of snaps. From Day 1 to my current point today Day 39. Just got done with my outdoor cardio. You get some weird looks from folk when your walking around wearing a bulletproof vest .:rofl:

How's everyone else doing, where are you today?

View attachment 25401View attachment 25402

Doing great - how are those vests for training in?
Are you doing the steps in Edmonton or mostly flat ground?

Day 15 for me today so 1/5 done overall.

Had a dream last night someone gave me chocolate and was in a panic this morning trying to remember if it really happened haha.

I am finding the hardest thing is getting in enough sleep. Between work and the challenge, I am doing a lot every day. I will be working on my time management a lot to make sure I don't fail this.

Another thing is I am working on being present while doing each task. Sometimes you can just cruise through the motions and it doesn't feel as "progressive" afterwards. I am finding it important to focus on just one thing at a time and give it my all while I am doing it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.