The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Doing it for fun

notinuse1245

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 13, 2021
Hey there,

I'm not sure how to introduce myself, but here I goes nothing.
I read the books I while ago, after making a deep dive into personal finance, FIRE, and the whole early retirement topics.
I'm probably an odd exception here, because I work full-time and enjoy my job. It's just that it feels like I waste my free time, and I want to use my time more effectively.
That's also why I called this post "Doing it for fun.", I earn enough through my job, I don't need much to live and I save enough without a focus on living frugally to retire in a couple years (I'm at a 80% savings rate).
Obviously, I wouldn't say no to more money coming in, but this isn't the focus, as long as I don't loose a large sum, I'm fine with it. I put this whole journey on the same pedestal as I would a hobby, for most of them I would have to put in some money regularly too.

To my background, I studied Computer Science and have a bachelor in Game Development and a masters in Data Science. Because of living in Europe and a scholarship I'm completely out of debt, so I actually don't feel like it was a complete waste of my time.
I have a cushy data engineering position in the public sector, which is pretty much zero stress.

For the entrepreneurial side, I always like to buy and sell things, mostly trading cards. In my prime I used to analyse which cards might become playable in the future (and thus rise in price) and buy them in bulk, then resell at a profit a couple months later. I also played around with bots a bit, farming items in videogames and selling them online.
Right now I'm working on an app for a niche community, I made a prototype which got extremly positive feedback and now I'm trying to finish it and get rid of the last bugs and perfomance issues.
That project has a large lack of control, but, to be honest, it cost me 150$ and maybe 15-20h of work. If can make that 150$ back I'm happy, if not I still learned a lot.

I joined here to maybe get myself to finish projects instead of stopping once I lose interest, I have a kind of "Shiny Object"-Syndrome, where once I have a prototype I completely lose interest in finishing the project. So with a bit more focus on the financial side and trying to fix problems for others and not just for myself, I hope to get myself to finish some things.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to reading some posts and chiming in every now and then.
~Melo

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...