The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

OFF-TOPIC Dog Breed Test

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
I'll disguise this post as, "Hey, here's a company that has created a great technology and business model around a market that is willing to spend a lot of money," thus making it appropriate for these forums...

But, in reality, I just thought this was really cool and wanted to share...

A friend of mine told me recently about a company that does DNA testing of dogs to determine their mix of breed (assuming they fall within one of the most popular 38 breeds in the U.S.). After 5 years of raising my beautiful mutt, I finally found out that she's a mix of Collie and Shetland Sheepdog, with a bit of German Shorthaired Pointer mixed in (who would have thought she wasn't a Border Collie mix).

Anyway, I imagine there are a lot of dog lovers on this board, so I thought I would mention this service (I'm in no way affiliated with this company other than I'm glad they exist):

http://www.metamorphixinc.com/products2a.html

It costs $80 and takes about 2 months...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2007
This is very cool! I wish they had more breeds, though. We have to dogs of unknown breeds. i'll post some pics later.. Buddy is 140#. We got him from the pound as a puppy. His mom was a purebred Lab, dad unknown. We are pretty sure there is Rhodesian Ridgeback in him though (not one of the breeds they test for) because of the ridge and overall look (way he holds his tail). The other one, Daisy, is a dog that David found back when he is in the orphanage in MX. Our vet thinks she's a coyote/chow cross. She looks like an Australian Cattle Dog. Again, though, they don't test for coyote..so not sure it would make sense to do the test.

I imagine it'll only be a matter of time before they add in other breeds, though.

JesseO

Contributor
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
JScott, thanks much for this post. I'll recommend the website to the number of mutt (unknown) dog owners I am friends with =) Too bad that my mom's dog was already cremated...she always wanted to know what breed he was.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom