The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does this go against the commandment of CONTROL?

ryjohn829

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Feb 20, 2020
Suburbs of Boston, Massachusetts
I’m starting my first fastlane Bussiness, a product based service that solves a certain problem in the chewing gum industry. (I will update my forum with more information on this project soon) I need gum base and we have been trying to make our own for weeks with all kinds of crazy ingredients and it works but it’s disgusting. My partner and I are considering buying the gum base from a company called Glee gum. It seams like it would save us lots of time and trouble. Should we continue our efforts to create it ourselves (that’s been a disaster so far) Does this take control from us? Glee gum let’s people use there product for commercial use but if they were to shit down we could end up going down too. Thoughts? This Bussiness isn’t about having a unique product. We are interested in there gum base because it is all natural. We aim to create a subscription based model where new product shows up at your doors every week/month. So..... are we violating the commandment of CONTROL?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

serge94

Running a B2C SaaS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Apr 20, 2020
Europe
Yeah, I'd say if you depend on them for selling your product, you're definitely violating the commandment of control. If you can source it from other places as well for a good price, then not so much.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My partner and I are considering buying the gum base from a company called Glee gum.

Are they the ONLY source? If so, then yes. If not, then the issue can be mitigated.

Still, I wouldn't let that stop you -- but it does reflect a "problem area" that you might need to address down the road.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Go for it full steam ahead. Very unlikely they'll go down by the time you get the flywheel turning.

Once you get enough revenue/profit pour everything into developing your own all-natural gum base.

It's risky, but I'd rather have a wrench thrown into my business with a list of 1,000 customers ;)

D

DeletedUser0287

I’m starting my first fastlane Bussiness, a product based service that solves a certain problem in the chewing gum industry. (I will update my forum with more information on this project soon) I need gum base and we have been trying to make our own for weeks with all kinds of crazy ingredients and it works but it’s disgusting. My partner and I are considering buying the gum base from a company called Glee gum. It seams like it would save us lots of time and trouble. Should we continue our efforts to create it ourselves (that’s been a disaster so far) Does this take control from us? Glee gum let’s people use there product for commercial use but if they were to shit down we could end up going down too. Thoughts? This Bussiness isn’t about having a unique product. We are interested in there gum base because it is all natural. We aim to create a subscription based model where new product shows up at your doors every week/month. So..... are we violating the commandment of CONTROL?

How long have you tried making your gum base? Some things take lots and lots of trial and error. Maybe given up to early? Anyways, if you look at some bigger businesses, they don't even fully abide by commandment of control. Like Nike and Apple. 100% following commandment of control is completely impractical most of the time. I get parts from other businesses, but if I decided to truly make everything myself, I would have to start another company.

For you it would mean growing your own sapodilla trees.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
I would get started with theirs, cut the time to market. Use whatever you can get quickly. Then in the future, when you're proven the product and are making money, do some Research and Development and bring as much of it in house as possible.

1 supplier for a key ingredient isn't ideal of course. But you can figure that out in the future

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
I would get started with theirs, cut the time to market. Use whatever you can get quickly. Then in the future, when you're proven the product and are making money, do some Research and Development and bring as much of it in house as possible.

1 supplier for a key ingredient isn't ideal of course. But you can figure that out in the future
Go for it full steam ahead. Very unlikely they'll go down by the time you get the flywheel turning.

Once you get enough revenue/profit pour everything into developing your own all-natural gum base.

It's risky, but I'd rather have a wrench thrown into my business with a list of 1,000 customers ;)
As PizzaOnTheRoof said, having a wrench in the gears with a 1,000 customers is a LOT easier than with 0 customers. Basically, the more customers you have the bigger the gears are, so a measly little wrench is but a tiny bump :)

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
As PizzaOnTheRoof said, having a wrench in the gears with a 1,000 customers is a LOT easier than with 0 customers. Basically, the more customers you have the bigger the gears are, so a measly little wrench is but a tiny bump :)
Exactly. It also gives you leverage.

“My supplier just kaput and I’ve got 500 orders that need to go out next week, what can you do for me?”

“Uh yes Mr. Pizza, we’ll be happy to take a buttload of business from you. Here’s a discount.”

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Exactly. It also gives you leverage.

“My supplier just kaput and I’ve got 500 orders that need to go out next week, what can you do for me?”

“Uh yes Mr. Pizza, we’ll be happy to take a buttload of business from you. Here’s a discount.”
We had a company do that to us this week, they said, and I quote "we started this product using this certain material, sent out promos, and immediately sold 100+ pcs in assorted colors, and then we figured out that we need to upgrade the material involved, can you help?"
Our answer? Yes! Absolutely!
:)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.