The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does new entrepreneur need goal planning help?

Cheefoo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 27, 2018
I like to plan and get things done on time. I see that there is a good interest on the subject 'goal planning' by students and teens. I am just wondering if startup or new entrepreneur also needs help in goal planning, or does this skill comes natural to a working adult ?

Personally, I see that there's a lot of good tools (some, even free) out there. For example, SMART goals, 90 days goals, 80/20 goals, etc.. But most of them, share with you the overview strategy and does not give you a practical example walk-with-you approach. Any thoughts if this is real need by new entrepreneur or a pen/paper works just fine?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
In my personal experience, its not about goal planning. As much as getting myself organized, structured, and cutting out the distractions around me in the physical with other people who don't have the same mindset. I love physical planners and notebooks, etc. For whatever reason I don't always like the stuff online. There's just something different about writing it out, or seeing it in the physical, being able to spread it out on the floor, or board. But this is me.

Cheefoo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 27, 2018
In my personal experience, its not about goal planning. As much as getting myself organized, structured, and cutting out the distractions around me in the physical with other people who don't have the same mindset. I love physical planners and notebooks, etc. For whatever reason I don't always like the stuff online. There's just something different about writing it out, or seeing it in the physical, being able to spread it out on the floor, or board. But this is me.

Yes, I agree with you. Holding a real book vs ebook is very different. The same goes for planning I suppose. Sometimes when schedule changes due to other factors (eg. own procrastination, change of appointment timing, etc..), the whole plan got messed up, and has to re-adjust, which is perfectly fine. But what frustrates me a little is that the physical planner/journal is not always with you. And you may need to scribble on the journal to make those adjustment. Does that happen to you?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Yes, I agree with you. Holding a real book vs ebook is very different. The same goes for planning I suppose. Sometimes when schedule changes due to other factors (eg. own procrastination, change of appointment timing, etc..), the whole plan got messed up, and has to re-adjust, which is perfectly fine. But what frustrates me a little is that the physical planner/journal is not always with you. And you may need to scribble on the journal to make those adjustment. Does that happen to you?
Not really. I kind of got in the habit from 2003-2011, always have a backpack, or some kind of bag with the necessities of life. I used to sit next to a girl in my courses, who always had everything in her back pack. And I had to laugh because if I had a cough, head ache, I knew to just look to her, and she had it. Not to mention, I also went to school with another guy, who taught me be prepared. I had a flat tire, and he used his fix a flat to repair my tire to get home. For a simple thing as a planner, well you can keep one in your vehicle to jot down stuff in an emergency.

I suppose people love being attached to technology these days. It makes it easier, and of course you have it all on a mobile phone in an emergency situation. I'm not really attached to a phone, I don't even have one. Probably will when I get back home in the states. Even when I did have one, I used it for phone calls. I prefer my laptop, and seeing what I read. I get irritated trying to read as much as I do with a phone. Tablets are nice. I use one at night to read. Still I love my laptop better.

I guess it's just what one prefers. I think part of it is because I'm Generation X, besides in most non-profits, or being a nurse aide, I had to write everything down on paper. And records are always in paper when you go to people's houses, fill out charts, and write nursing notes for each person. While they use devices in hospitals, the office, that's not so true for out on the road like I was. I had paper schedules, and they changed so much, and I didn't have time sometimes to fiddle with my phone and a planner. If you're in the middle of the street driving, you have to pull over on the side of the road, answer the phone, and write down what they're telling you. So kind of hard to talk on the phone and put in a change at the same time in a digital schedule.

There's a lot of paper work for Adult Foster Care, In-home Care, and Nursing Homes. While technology plays its part, still you will find a paper trail somewhere along the way.

My relative who is a Real Estate Agent, I've watched her all my life with planners, technology, and paper mess being a Broker. I understand we do the best we can to stay organized, but there's always a pile of notebooks, papers, or books somewhere. This is just one of those irritations of life. I can't stand planning out every hour of the day, and other people live by it. It's hard to say, you will find everyone in here use a different system, planning, organizing, and scheduling things.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cheefoo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 27, 2018
Not really. I kind of got in the habit from 2003-2011, always have a backpack, or some kind of bag with the necessities of life. I used to sit next to a girl in my courses, who always had everything in her back pack. And I had to laugh because if I had a cough, head ache, I knew to just look to her, and she had it. Not to mention, I also went to school with another guy, who taught me be prepared. I had a flat tire, and he used his fix a flat to repair my tire to get home. For a simple thing as a planner, well you can keep one in your vehicle to jot down stuff in an emergency.

I suppose people love being attached to technology these days. It makes it easier, and of course you have it all on a mobile phone in an emergency situation. I'm not really attached to a phone, I don't even have one. Probably will when I get back home in the states. Even when I did have one, I used it for phone calls. I prefer my laptop, and seeing what I read. I get irritated trying to read as much as I do with a phone. Tablets are nice. I use one at night to read. Still I love my laptop better.

I guess it's just what one prefers. I think part of it is because I'm Generation X, besides in most non-profits, or being a nurse aide, I had to write everything down on paper. And records are always in paper when you go to people's houses, fill out charts, and write nursing notes for each person. While they use devices in hospitals, the office, that's not so true for out on the road like I was. I had paper schedules, and they changed so much, and I didn't have time sometimes to fiddle with my phone and a planner. If you're in the middle of the street driving, you have to pull over on the side of the road, answer the phone, and write down what they're telling you. So kind of hard to talk on the phone and put in a change at the same time in a digital schedule.

There's a lot of paper work for Adult Foster Care, In-home Care, and Nursing Homes. While technology plays its part, still you will find a paper trail somewhere along the way.

My relative who is a Real Estate Agent, I've watched her all my life with planners, technology, and paper mess being a Broker. I understand we do the best we can to stay organized, but there's always a pile of notebooks, papers, or books somewhere. This is just one of those irritations of life. I can't stand planning out every hour of the day, and other people live by it. It's hard to say, you will find everyone in here use a different system, planning, organizing, and scheduling things.

Thanks for sharing your awesome experiences. :) I guess at the end of day, pen and paper still works for planning. Technology just helps to integrate and remind you automatically whereas paper planner can't do that. Do you think if adults would be keen to learn about goal planning ? It looks like everyone is so good in planning, especially their holidays. lol.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I like to plan and get things done on time. I see that there is a good interest on the subject 'goal planning' by students and teens. I am just wondering if startup or new entrepreneur also needs help in goal planning, or does this skill comes natural to a working adult ?

Personally, I see that there's a lot of good tools (some, even free) out there. For example, SMART goals, 90 days goals, 80/20 goals, etc.. But most of them, share with you the overview strategy and does not give you a practical example walk-with-you approach. Any thoughts if this is real need by new entrepreneur or a pen/paper works just fine?
It's not about 90-day goals. It's about daily activities. How many potential clients are you going to see or call every day? How many contacts are you going to make? How are you going to set up your client base? What specific actions are you going to take to get your business off of the ground? Starting a business is taking a lot of hard-won, baby steps down the road of success.

This is a moment where there are no trophies for the "also-ran" people. It's not fair, and it's not PC. Your success depends totally on you, your decisions, your efforts and results.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.